ACC | Page 38 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
were not that drunk! were not that drunk!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
lol, the funny part about u and some of us enjoying this back and forth is that u really don't understand the position some of us take. first off i'm glad u made it thru the weekend. ok, so heres the deal. if the acc in 5 minutes added uconn and nd. 100% of uconn would be happy. we would know that fsu/clem and who ever aren't going anywhere because nd would demand a gor. with nd and fsu the acc would be 1 of the 4 big boy confs and it would most likely kill the b12 one day when texas splits or ok goes north with kansas. this acc lets uconn in as a big boy in fball. gives our bball the 2nd best home(which is with cuse/unc/duke/pitt) and our great other sports like soccer baseball are now in a great conf also. it has regional rivals and hatted old friends. every uconn fan would want that, including me.

but there are some just like that question the future of the acc. if in 5 minutes the acc added ruty and uconn, i'm skepical. i don't think thats enough to keep the southern schools around. my(and a few others) fear is that joining the acc now may look good, but 5 years from now the acc could be duke/miami(fball ncaa issues)/wake/bc/cuse and a few others. thats not a fball league i want uconn to be apart of. its not good enough. i would rather be in a league with bsu/usf/cincy etc then that acc. thats my stance and some here dont like it and some do.

my dream 16 is the b10 going east and grabbing 4 big publics, but thats a DREAM.

Agree on the dream Dan. I think most of us do. I do think many here underestimate the ACC, due to poor recent football performance. But check history at various times and other leagues had down periods as well. I don't think it is any more fair to consider BC of the last 3 years instead of BC from 06-09. NC State looks pretty decent right now, and may be on the upswing. Is it likely to be as good as the SEC or B1G? No. But it could easily catch the P12, and be close to the revised B12. I find it funny that you all mention Texas as if it won a BCS game last year, when it's been weak two years in a row. UT was worse than Clemson, GT, VT, FSU...so shouldn't we assume UT is done and will now suck? If you looked at K-State before Snyder it was the worst D1 program. So there's no reason UVA or NCST can't make a similar leap.

But mostly I disagree completely with the premise that there will be four superconferences. I think that leaves too many politically powerful institutions on the outside looking in. There will need to be at least five to accomodate the political reality, and even that may be enough. I think the wholesale disenfranchisement of the mountain west states would be difficult. Congress will step in if major state universities are left on the side of the road. So I think it is extremely unlikely that either the ACC or B12 dissolves or loses many schools. I think it is highly likely that the NBE dissolves. It simply lacks political muscle or any cohesive element. The MWC is arguably in stronger shape to survive, if not to score with the TV networks.

Reaction Score
Any conference that ND theoretically would join as a full member would never lose its status as one of the top conferences, it's just not feasible that ND will be in an irrelevant football conference. Also, it makes other members leaving significantly less likely due to the TV money ND brings. Thus, gaining entry to a conference along with ND would be UConn's best shot at ensuring stability and relevance in the major sports for a long period of time. Whether or not that happens is a whole different story.

Reaction Score
Agree on the dream Dan. I think most of us do. I do think many here underestimate the ACC, due to poor recent football performance. But check history at various times and other leagues had down periods as well. I don't think it is any more fair to consider BC of the last 3 years instead of BC from 06-09. NC State looks pretty decent right now, and may be on the upswing. Is it likely to be as good as the SEC or B1G? No. But it could easily catch the P12, and be close to the revised B12. I find it funny that you all mention Texas as if it won a BCS game last year, when it's been weak two years in a row. UT was worse than Clemson, GT, VT, FSU...so shouldn't we assume UT is done and will now suck? If you looked at K-State before Snyder it was the worst D1 program. So there's no reason UVA or NCST can't make a similar leap.

But mostly I disagree completely with the premise that there will be four superconferences. I think that leaves too many politically powerful institutions on the outside looking in. There will need to be at least five to accomodate the political reality, and even that may be enough. I think the wholesale disenfranchisement of the mountain west states would be difficult. Congress will step in if major state universities are left on the side of the road. So I think it is extremely unlikely that either the ACC or B12 dissolves or loses many schools. I think it is highly likely that the NBE dissolves. It simply lacks political muscle or any cohesive element. The MWC is arguably in stronger shape to survive, if not to score with the TV networks.
The Pac 12 is by far the most over-rated conference. The only saving grace for them is they have all the major universities locked up on the west coast and they don't compete geographically with any other conference.
The BE has finished ahead of the PAC on more than one occasion since 2003.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
ND is flexing its indie muscle all week including today when the 11 memers of the Presidents Oversight Commitee meet with ND today.

I expect ND and the BE will sign a Bowl agreement similar to the last one. Will it be with the ACC in the Orange?

NBC has the best value play in College Football Television: One team for $24 mil. No muss and fuss. It works for both partners.

AS far as the 4 Conference thing goes the seeds are sewn. If the ACC produces nada during this new 12-year playoff agreement, nothing of national broadcast interest, you can be sure the squeeze will be on come 2024. If the Orange continues to be a pimple on the face of College Ball....on the downside Houston (or some other) could establish itself ahead of UConn during that time.

Isn't it time to specualte on 2024 relaginment?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
interesting

i'm telling u guys, i really want a big all sports conf. considering whats happening with bcs games, its our BEST possible outcome as a NNBE league. its best for uconn. biggest and best brands, teams, fan bases etc all together fighting for a shot. this league can beats the acc or pac on random years and get bids.

-f the bball schools, go all sports BIG COUNTRY
east-uconn/ruty/navy/temple/cincy/lville/usf/ucf/memphis
on deck-ecu/smiss
west-uh/smu/byu//bsu/sdsu/fresno/unr/tulsa
on deck-unlv/hawaii

18 teams all sports
fball- you play your division for 8 games and 1 cross rival(-navy....)
ship game at highest ranked teams home each year. bsu/byu can easily keep the west relevant and out east everyone accept memphis(for now at least) has a shot.
bball-round robin 17 games and 1 rival(same as fball) travel isn't that bad. a school like uconn can do swing trips. sdsu on a tuesday, fresno on thur and unr on sat then come hom for a week of home games etc...the divisions have zones that make travel good.
uh/smu/tulsa
fresno/sdsu/unr
byu/bsu/

uconn/ruty/temple
cincy/lville/memphis
usf/ucf......navy

other sports like soccer baseball just play your division so travel isnt a issue. we can make this work to our advantage. our commish just has to have the vision. until we are out of the nnbe, i want the best for uconn and this imho is it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
interesting

i'm telling u guys, i really want a big all sports conf. considering whats happening with bcs games, its our BEST possible outcome as a NNBE league. its best for uconn. biggest and best brands, teams, fan bases etc all together fighting for a shot. this league can beats the acc or pac on random years and get bids.

-f the bball schools, go all sports BIG COUNTRY
east-uconn/ruty/navy/temple/cincy/lville/usf/ucf/memphis
on deck-ecu/smiss
west-uh/smu/byu//bsu/sdsu/fresno/unr/tulsa
on deck-unlv/hawaii

There are exactly five teams on that list that I would be pumped to see at the Rent on a level similar to the three teams that left. I'll let others name them if they wish to prove my point. Here's a hint, none of them are Fresno, Memphis, or SDSU.

Reaction Score
There are exactly five teams on that list that I would be pumped to see at the Rent on a level similar to the three teams that left. I'll let others name them if they wish to prove my point. Here's a hint, none of them are Fresno, Memphis, or SDSU.

Rutgers, Cincy, UL, UH, BSU, BYU. I wasn't positive on UH but I presume it's th since they've been good lately.

We really need BYU and Air Force. That would allow us to argue that we are a power conference.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Rutgers, Cincy, UL, UH, BSU, BYU. I wasn't positive on UH but I presume it's th since they've been good lately.

We really need BYU and Air Force. That would allow us to argue that we are a power conference.

It's funny; many people share this opinion (and I think BYU / would be solid pickups, by the way), but they are not any better than most of the teams in the NBE. In fact, you could safely argue that neither of them is in the top 5 of the conference. Yet due to their popularity and name brand recognition, I think that many people think exactly what you are thinking.

To me, we are a power conference. The gap between the Big East and the MW or the C-USA is huge, and the gap between the Big East and the ACC is not. The best thing we can do is win our OOC games this year to prove it. If we make a big splash in the OOC, especially against the ACC teams, I think people will reconsider...

Reaction Score
"To me, we are a power conference. The gap between the Big East and the MW or the C-USA is huge, and the gap between the Big East and the ACC is not".

Best post of the day. Very true.

Reaction Score
It's funny; many people share this opinion (and I think BYU / would be solid pickups, by the way), but they are not any better than most of the teams in the NBE. In fact, you could safely argue that neither of them is in the top 5 of the conference. Yet due to their popularity and name brand recognition, I think that many people think exactly what you are thinking.

To me, we are a power conference. The gap between the Big East and the MW or the C-USA is huge, and the gap between the Big East and the ACC is not. The best thing we can do is win our OOC games this year to prove it. If we make a big splash in the OOC, especially against the ACC teams, I think people will reconsider...

I absolutely agree with you. It's just that perception is reality and BYU would really help.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
"To me, we are a power conference. The gap between the Big East and the MW or the C-USA is huge, and the gap between the Big East and the ACC is not".

Best post of the day. Very true.

Completely inaccurate.

Oh, the facts say the two are close on the field. But that doesn't matter. It never has.

It's about history, about stadium size, media contracts, recruiting, ticket sales. The actual on-field product? Meaningless.

The minute you realize that and accept it, you will realize that UConn has zero future in college football under this format.

, we have people advocating UConn being in a football conference with BYU or UNLV or Nevada. Take a second and step back. Think for a minute. Do you not realize how completely futile and stupid that is?

pj

Reaction Score
The format is temporary. But even if it were permanent, there's more to a football future than being in the top 4 teams. If you had to be in the top 4 or be zero, then the whole ACC and most of the Big 4 conferences would be zeros. Yet you don't hear UCLA, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Miami, and Penn State fans saying "We have zero future." Yet it would be no surprise if those 5 are not in the playoff for decades.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Completely inaccurate.

Oh, the facts say the two are close on the field. But that doesn't matter. It never has.

It's about history, about stadium size, media contracts, recruiting, ticket sales. The actual on-field product? Meaningless.

The minute you realize that and accept it, you will realize that UConn has zero future in college football under this format.

, we have people advocating UConn being in a football conference with BYU or UNLV or Nevada. Take a second and step back. Think for a minute. Do you not realize how completely futile and stupid that is?

1) That was my point when I made the statement; the on-field product is very comparable, and worlds better than the other conferences.

2) "Do you not realize how completely futile and stupid that is?' My response to that statement is, "Do you have a better f%$king idea right now??" For what it's worth, I agree with you about Nevada and UNLV, but in terms of BYU, I will refer back to YOUR original point, which was that it is irrelevant what the quality of their football is right now. Their perception is that they have history, strong ticket sales, national audience, etc.

I'm beyond tired of our fans that continue to bitch about the situation, with no real statement as to what we can do differently in our situation. Give me an idea to work with. Otherwise, it all sounds like "woe is me"...

zls44

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I agree with you about Nevada and UNLV, but in terms of BYU, I will refer back to YOUR original point, which was that it is irrelevant what the quality of their football is right now. Their perception is that they have history, strong ticket sales, national audience, etc.

Add BYU and 100 out of 100 fans, commentators, outside observers' reaction will be: what the duckk is BYU doing in a conference with Rutgers.

That's what they'll say, it's what they'll think, it's all that matters. Perception. Most people still think it's stupid and pointless for Boise State to be in a conference with Rutgers and Connecticut.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm beyond tired of our fans that continue to bitch about the situation, with no real statement as to what we can do differently in our situation. Give me an idea to work with. Otherwise, it all sounds like "woe is me"...

Nothing.

There is, literally, noooootttthhiiiiinnnnngggg UConn can do about it but join a Big 5 conference. Period. That's it. There are no better solutions, no making the Big East work, no expansion to get at the top level.

Those things do not exist. They can not exist. They will not exist. Ever.

So I chose not to live in a fantasy land where they can make the situation better. They cannot.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Add BYU and 100 out of 100 fans, commentators, outside observers' reaction will be: what the duckk is BYU doing in a conference with Rutgers.

That's what they'll say, it's what they'll think, it's all that matters. Perception. Most people still think it's stupid and pointless for Boise State to be in a conference with Rutgers and Connecticut.

They might think that it's stupid for Boise to be in a conference with Rutgers and Connecticut, but does that make us stupid for wanting to join with Boise?? It's clearly the best move, and it clearly makes our conference and SOS stronger for doing it. The same would go for BYU. They would both bolster our tv contracts, OOC wins, prestige, etc. They will get over the geography in a year. They won't get over a Big East without any marquis names if we don't bring them. Simple.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Nothing.

There is, literally, noooootttthhiiiiinnnnngggg UConn can do about it but join a Big 5 conference. Period. That's it. There are no better solutions, no making the Big East work, no expansion to get at the top level.

Those things do not exist. They can not exist. They will not exist. Ever.

So I chose not to live in a fantasy land where they can make the situation better. They cannot.

So then we should.....wait, I forgot what your plan was again? Oh, just wait for an invite somewhere else, and bitch until we get one. Great plan. I'm happy to be a part of it!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Through 2025. 12 year deal.

ESPN would switch to a 16 team tournament in a nanosecond instead of broadcasting bowl games that will be even more meaningless and are played in front of friends, families, and whichever local elementary schools could be bussed in to fill seats.

I give it 4 years before Presidents cry "uncle" on the red ink from bowl games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Completely inaccurate.

All that matters is what ESPN tells us to think, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom