ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
Do they? The only instance when they did keep someone from leaving was Texas to the PAC and I’m not sure Texas really wanted to go.

Will the state politicians be willing to tick off the UNC and UVA alumni/fans by holding them together? They could, but will they?

No they will not, unless they don't care about the hundreds of $millions they would be flushing down the toilet.

The Virginia governor famously twisted Virginia’s arm to vote VT into the ACC. A good example of state government intervention.

Sadly, the Virginia governor and the Carolina board of trustees have no leverage with the SEC or Big10. They can make all the noise they want, no one will care.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A long-term contract has to continue to be beneficial to both parties. If it is not, then there has to be a way to get out of it.
Doesn't that position inherently undercut the certainty of a long-term agreement? If either party can exit the relationship at any time for any reason, why bother having a contract?

Reaction Score
I can't get past a piece of this. A long-term contract has to continue to be beneficial to both parties. If it is not, then there has to be a way to get out of it. If espn can pay Mississippi State and Vandy so much more for football than it is paying FSU and Clemson, then espn is not doing the best it can for its constituents and it is thereby harming FSU and Clemson. Pay FSU more, it will be more competitive, ratings go up. They could argue espn is actually purposefully harming FSU.
No. That's just not how contracts work.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can't get past a piece of this. A long-term contract has to continue to be beneficial to both parties. If it is not, then there has to be a way to get out of it. If espn can pay Mississippi State and Vandy so much more for football than it is paying FSU and Clemson, then espn is not doing the best it can for its constituents and it is thereby harming FSU and Clemson. Pay FSU more, it will be more competitive, ratings go up. They could argue espn is actually purposefully harming FSU.

It would be cool to see UNC, NC State, UVA, Va Tech, Georgia Tech stay together and keep some form of the ACC intact. They're likely not winning any football championship any time soon, the basketball rivalries are worth saving, and they still make pretty good bank. It would still dominate the east coast and it would be a great home for UConn and perhaps an alliance with the Big East. Besides, how much bigger can the other conferences afford to get?

Wishful thinking, I know.

Look at the situation the Islanders were stuck in for decades with their lease on the Nassau Coliseum (a lease is a long term contract). Just because terms that one party viewed as favorable at the time they signed a lease no longer are favorable, you don't have the ability to just avoid the agreement (unless of course such a provision was written into the agreement).

Similar to the situation the Islanders were in, the possibility of a negotiated buyout always existed. For the Islanders, the cost was prohibitive until roughly ten years ago. For members of the ACC, it may also be a number of years before the cost of buying out of the GOR is no longer prohibitive.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that position inherently undercut the certainty of a long-term agreement? If either party can exit the relationship at any time for any reason, why bother having a contract?
A correctly executed contract includes details which the parties need to adhere to. Otherwise sure, anyone can enter into a contract and then just mail it in. Both parties need to meet their obligations.

On the flip side, for arguments sake, what if the athletic departments all decided to deemphasize football. They fund it bare bones and continue to collect the big checks from espn. I don't think that would float.

Reaction Score
No they will not, unless they don't care about the hundreds of $millions they would be flushing down the toilet.

Sadly, the Virginia governor and the Carolina board of trustees have no leverage with the SEC or Big10. They can make all the noise they want, no one will care.
Politicians talk and the B1G/SEC walk. :)

CL82

Reaction Score
A correctly executed contract includes details which the parties need to adhere to. Otherwise sure, anyone can enter into a contract and then just mail it in. Both parties need to meet their obligations.

On the flip side, for arguments sake, what if the athletic departments all decided to deemphasize football. They fund it bare bones and continue to collect the big checks from espn. I don't think that would float.
You do realize that asking whether both parties met their obligations under the contract is a different thing than just saying hey any any party should be able to exit contract when they no longer feel it in their best interest without regard to the impact on the other party.

I'm not at all sure about the point you're trying to make in the second paragraph, so I can't comment on it.

Reaction Score
You do realize that asking whether both parties met their obligations under the contract is a different thing than just saying hey any any party should be able to exit contract when they no longer feel it in their best interest without regard to the impact on the other party.

I'm not at all sure about the point you're trying to make in the second paragraph, so I can't comment on it.
I have no idea what you are trying to say or what you are replying to in your first paragraph so let's call it even.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have no idea what you are trying to say or what you are replying to in your first paragraph so let's call it even.
Works for me.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted this article references the below tweet

So UConn is less valuable than every school in the B1G, SEC, Big 12 and ACC, as well as Washington State, Oregon State, Army, Navy and South Florida?

Reaction Score
Even if those brands left (and Louisville & Pitt are less desirable brands to a Big XII already bloated to 16) you'd still have a rump ACC that is better for the athletic department and would feature several long-term rivals. If you had a scenario where the Big XII decided to be the Big XX you're more likely looking at them seeking NC State, Virginia Tech, Miami, and one out of the Georgia Tech, Louisville, Duke (if he Yormark really thinks hoops has value). That leaves the rump ACC with BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Pitt, two of Louisville, Georgia Tech, Duke (as well as Stanford, SMU & Cal). From a nostalgia perspective you still get a taste of the Big East that UConn grew up in, albeit under a different name (and nowhere near as sweet), from a football perspective you get a schedule with schools that while currently P4 (at least in name) are programs UConn can compete with.

It won't happen, but really the best thing "sanity-wise" in a scenario where the ACC loses its top brands would be for the ACC and Big XII to partner to swap out brands into a bit more of a geographic alignment. Rump-ACC would swap out Stanford, Cal & SMU for WVU, UCF & Cincy.

That would be a major downgrade for the Big 12.

Reaction Score

The ACC Network is 100% owned by ESPN. They split the costs and revenue equally with the ACC, but it’s 100% owned by ESPN. Easy to switch out the ACC with the Big 12.
No, it’s a joint venture with the ACC. You can switch out your equity partners without buying them out. ESPN will just cherry pick the teams from the B12 to add to the ACC. Very simple and very clean business plan.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, it’s a joint venture with the ACC. You can switch out your equity partners without buying them out. ESPN will just cherry pick the teams from the B12 to add to the ACC. Very simple and very clean business plan.
If ESPN can unilaterally "switch out" the other "equity partners" at no cost, then, definitionally, they aren't "equity partners."

Reaction Score
No. That's just not how contracts work.

You mean to say that if the terms of a contract end up turning against a party they are not entitled to unilaterally terminate the contract?!?!

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom