ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 9 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
A merge to be old BE would be best for us. Keep both brands, ACC and BE for 2 divisions for basketball.
Unless the Big 12 comes in and grabs us first. We actually are in a lynch pin role regarding that. And the Big 12 could put another feather in their cap taking down the ACC for good too

Reaction Score
Thats why they have to make it REALLY pricey for FSU to leave. If others have to pay the same, they will have over a billion in reserve if they all leave. That will go a long way.
Everything I've seen seems to be pointing to the ACC being in really bad shape w/ the lawsuit and that they're going to lose FSU no matter what. The most likely case being that they have to settle with FSU and that they are not in the drivers seat given the June ESPN contract option.

Reaction Score
That would actually be ideal for us. I doubt it happens because there are too many stakeholders who under perform and are still rewarded in the current system.
Right. And it would recreate the football-basketball thing again. Whatever deal is made the basketball onlies would want a bigger piece of the pie than they deserve, as would the non-productive members. I think for us the best result is to join the ACC for all sports. I’m not convinced that UNC is B10 bound. More likely Virginia, but it’s Miami who is lobbying for the Big. You need to bring $70-75 million in value to make it worth while for the Big to add you. And most of that needs to be football. I think the ACC loses Clemson, FSU maybe 1 more of Miami, UNC, Virginia. I can’t imagine where this wholesale flight are going. And I don’t think any of those 3 bring enough honestly. I also think we have a relationship with the ACC. Maybe not formal, but look at our football schedule over the next few years and the past few. We pretty much play 3 ACC schools a year. This year it’s Syracuse, Duke, Wake. I think next year Syracuse and Duke, with 1 game still to be scheduled. Don’t be surprised if it is another ACC team. In out years we have UNC, Syracuse, PITT, Duke, Wake and I think BC. We ought to be at a minimum working to formalize that for 4 games/year. Plus play at least 2 basketball games like UNC, Virginia

Reaction Score
the acc discards could end up in the aac. full circle, as it were. I'd like to see some type of big east/acc merger but I don't think it would ever happen.

Reaction Score
Right. And it would recreate the football-basketball thing again. Whatever deal is made the basketball onlies would want a bigger piece of the pie than they deserve, as would the non-productive members. I think for us the best result is to join the ACC for all sports. I’m not convinced that UNC is B10 bound. More likely Virginia, but it’s Miami who is lobbying for the Big. You need to bring $70-75 million in value to make it worth while for the Big to add you. And most of that needs to be football. I think the ACC loses Clemson, FSU maybe 1 more of Miami, UNC, Virginia. I can’t imagine where this wholesale flight are going. And I don’t think any of those 3 bring enough honestly.
I think that is possible, but for me it is hard to imagine that the ACC loses let's say two top dollar contributors, then loses it's ESPN contract and there isn't a panic among the remaining big brands in the ACC since they know it's a slow death awaiting them. SO...I'd expect them to at least try to lobby and find spaces in the other three leagues and I have to believe the B12 would take in a handful and they would be fast to join.

Reaction Score
I think that is possible, but for me it is hard to imagine that the ACC loses let's say two top dollar contributors, then loses it's ESPN contract and there isn't a panic among the remaining big brands in the ACC since they know it's a slow death awaiting them. SO...I'd expect them to at least try to lobby and find spaces in the other three leagues and I have to believe the B12 would take in a handful and they would be fast to join.
I think the outcome is much closer to the B12 outcome. It loses a couple of teams, and backfills with UConn, and whoever make sense of the rest of the list.

The other thing I think people are sleeping on a bit is the potential that the Mountain West gets an upgrade of sorts. There really isn’t a west coast league any more and they could be effective in filling that role. I’m not convinced that ACC membership will work for the Cal and Stanford group. And you really kind of lose the entire west coast I think, so there is an opportunity for a conference to be attractive. They are already doing some of that in basketball. Football is pretty decent. Add WSU and OState, With a better deal it could likely compete with the P3 and 4.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure, this summer is going to be fun and interesting to watch.
I would love if we ended up in the Big 12 with some formal tie in with the Big East. Returning to the Big East is what rejuvenated our brand, and I would much rather than the turn coats who ran off to the ACC. Could care less what happens to them. They had a lot more money and favorable circumstances (rivals brought with them) to get it done and couldn’t. Our AD management is many levels above there’s.
Our worse case is another kick in the jewelry - been through many and are still standing tall. Best case we are in a conference where, if we invest wisely, we can increase our P2 appeal.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It really depends on whether or not ESPN wants the ACC to be viable post departures. It may but at a discounted rate. How discounted is the question.

Reaction Score
It really depends on whether or not ESPN wants the ACC to be viable post departures. It may but at a discounted rate. How discounted is the question.
My guess would be original AAC level. But it depends how deep those departures go. If all that stuff about ACC and ESPN stuff happens this summer, I’m sure Cal/Stanford consider going back to make a go of the PAC. SMU probably stays, maybe backfill Tulane and USF (if available). I said somewhere else I’d only want us in as a football only.
The ACC is clueless when it comes to good alignment decisions.

CL82

Reaction Score
My guess would be original AAC level. But it depends how deep those departures go. If all that stuff about ACC and ESPN stuff happens this summer, I’m sure Cal/Stanford consider going back to make a go of the PAC. SMU probably stays, maybe backfill Tulane and USF (if available). I said somewhere else I’d only want us in as a football only.
The ACC is clueless when it comes to good alignment decisions.
Cal/Stanford have granted a GOR through 2036. So they each would be liable for $135 million plus whatever the buyback of the GOR would be. Unless the ACC to exist, I think they're stuck.

Reaction Score
Cal/Stanford have granted a GOR through 2036. So they each would be liable for $135 million plus whatever the buyback of the GOR would be. Unless the ACC to exist, I think they're stuck.
Didn’t that podcast guy say the GOR would disappear as a result of the FSU and Clemson suits? That’s what I was referring to when I said this summer.

Reaction Score
Didn’t that podcast guy say the GOR would disappear as a result of the FSU and Clemson suits? That’s what I was referring to when I said this summer.
Yes, I think there is a good chance the GOR is toast and the ACC with it.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you're talking about Flugar, I think he said that since the ACC contracted with ESPN transferring the GOR that it received from FSU to ESPN, then, FSU could move to the SEC since it has granted its rights to ESPN already. I'm not sure that would apply with the California schools. They may be stuck.

The only way that they would get out would be if enough ACC schools were leaving that they could vote for dissolution first. I think. Who knows what the current legal status is of this stuff. It's a mess and a moving target.

Reaction Score
If you're talking about Flugar, I think he said that since the ACC contracted with ESPN transferring the GOR that it received from FSU to ESPN, then, FSU could move to the SEC since it has granted its rights to ESPN already. I'm not sure that would apply with the California schools. They may be stuck.

The only way that they would get out would be if enough ACC schools were leaving that they could vote for dissolution first. I think. Who knows what the current legal status is of this stuff. It's a mess and a moving target.
I think he's talking about this guy.

This guy said that ESPN is not going to extend the media deal. The GOR ends when the media deal isn't extended.

He says that the ACC has been given an ultimatum. They have been told to settle with FSU and Clemson prior to June 30, 2024 or FSU and Clemson will leave and the Composition Clause will be triggered. ESPN has told the ACC that the media deal will end on or before August 16, 2024. The GOR ends then.

Reaction Score
I think he's talking about this guy.

This guy said that ESPN is not going to extend the media deal. The GOR ends when the media deal isn't extended.

He says that the ACC has been given an ultimatum. They have been told to settle with FSU and Clemson prior to June 30, 2024 or FSU and Clemson will leave and the Composition Clause will be triggered. ESPN has told the ACC that the media deal will end on or before August 16, 2024. The GOR ends then.

That’s the one

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but watching the vids, every time he said "grant of rights" I heard it as "grain of rice"...which would be great if the backstabbing traitors that ran from the Big East to the ACC are only left with some rice rather than wads of dough if/when the media deal implodes. Another good opportunity to quote Guitierrez:

CL82

Reaction Score
The notion that a breach of any clause in the GOR nullifies the entire agreement seems unlikely to me. This felt like propaganda to me. Don't get me working the ACC blowing up is both good for us and pleasing karma-wise, but this guy did not seem like he was giving am evenhanded assessment of the case.

Reaction Score
The notion that a breach of any clause in the GOR nullifies the entire agreement seems unlikely to me. This felt like propaganda to me. Don't get me working the ACC blowing up is both good for us and pleasing karma-wise, but this guy did not seem like he was giving am evenhanded assessment of the case.
The only thing better than the ACC blowing up is FSU just getting impatient or losing, paying a billion dollars on their way out, anyway, and then stabilizing the conference further as we slide into their position. If GORs don't mean anything then joining the ACC is not a great proposition because it can collapse at any time.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest issue for the ACC is the upcoming NBA media contract and the extension of the ACC media contract. The NBA media contract is going to be very costly and could ESPN save money by not extending the ACC contract and facilitating the move of some ACC schools to the SEC (ESPN owns media rights) and the Big 12 (ESPN owns half) to retain most of the valuable content.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure, this summer is going to be fun and interesting to watch.
I would love if we ended up in the Big 12 with some formal tie in with the Big East. Returning to the Big East is what rejuvenated our brand, and I would much rather than the turn coats who ran off to the ACC. Could care less what happens to them. They had a lot more money and favorable circumstances (rivals brought with them) to get it done and couldn’t. Our AD management is many levels above there’s.
Our worse case is another kick in the jewelry - been through many and are still standing tall. Best case we are in a conference where, if we invest wisely, we can increase our P2 appeal.

Danny Hurley rejuvenated the brand, along with Geno.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley rejuvenated the brand, along with Geno.
Gene “juvenated” the women’s program 30 years ago and has maintained it there since. I highly doubt we would’ve been able to hire Hurley if we were still in the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom