ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
ACC insider - nice words on UConn
From the story:

"For all the sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these: “It might have been.”

With apologies to the poet John Greenleaf Whittier, his phrase could easily describe the regret with which the ACC’s leadership watched Monday night’s national championship basketball game between UConn and Purdue".

How does he know that there is regret? He didn't even quote an "unnamed source".

I'm not buying it.

Reaction Score
From the story:

"For all the sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these: “It might have been.”

With apologies to the poet John Greenleaf Whittier, his phrase could easily describe the regret with which the ACC’s leadership watched Monday night’s national championship basketball game between UConn and Purdue".

How does he know that there is regret? He didn't even quote an "unnamed source".

I'm not buying it.
I agree. It’s definitely an opinion piece. The author goes on to tweet later that UConn’s best option is reduced share in the ACC. But also says in the article the B12 might get UConn first. Contradictory and shows the guy doesn’t really have anything credible here. But still nice to hear positive things.

Reaction Score
UConn has proven time and again that despite the stacked odds, it can succeed. The ACC is a complete mess and even if it has regrets it probably won't add UConn. They've made a series of bad decisions and have no clue what to do now.

The ACC and Big 12. They don't like UConn Football even through it too has shown it can succeed on an even playing field. Reduced shares? Forgetaboutit. Why invite UConn Football and then stymie it by paying out reduced shares. It makes no sense. You get what you pay for and that has always been the case.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Nice to see some neutral observers believe in us more than our own guys on Boneyard
This is an excellent article. Everyone on Boneyard ought to read it. Look forward to UConn soon being in the ACC.

Reaction Score
There is a good chance that the ACC splinters this year, with FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA and possibly others bolting for the SEC and B1G. The Big 12 would possibly pick up a few remnants at that point, probably Louisville, Pitt. My thoughts:
  • Good riddance to the ACC, they destroyed the Big East and got conference realignment going. They deserve to implode. Schools like Boston College and Syracuse have the most to lose since they're not getting picked up by anyone. Savor that since they laughed at Uconn on the way out.
  • When the ACC implodes, the B12 will pick up a few remnants. There is maybe a small chance Uconn gets an invite with the group due to Yormack's infatuation with us. That would be our best chance at a life-line that would keep us viable in all of our sports going forward.
  • Uconn should under no circumstances accept an invite to the ACC if they lose 4+ schools. Their contract is going to be dropped by ESPN and the new contract will be horrid. We'd be leaving a low paying but fun league for a version of the AAC. No thanks!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a good chance that the ACC splinters this year, with FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA and possibly others bolting for the SEC and B1G. The Big 12 would possibly pick up a few remnants at that point, probably Louisville, Pitt. My thoughts:
  • Good riddance to the ACC, they destroyed the Big East and got conference realignment going. They deserve to implode. Schools like Boston College and Syracuse have the most to lose since they're not getting picked up by anyone. Savor that since they laughed at Uconn on the way out.
  • When the ACC implodes, the B12 will pick up a few remnants. There is maybe a small chance Uconn gets an invite with the group due to Yormack's infatuation with us. That would be our best chance at a life-line that would keep us viable in all of our sports going forward.
  • Uconn should under no circumstances accept an invite to the ACC if they lose 4+ schools. Their contract is going to be dropped by ESPN and the new contract will be horrid. We'd be leaving a low paying but fun league for a version of the AAC. No thanks!
Even the dregs of the ACC leftovers would be much than the AAC. Even if they're paid under a worst case scenario say $15 million per school in media dollars, that's still about twice or the big east is likely to get paid in a best case scenario.

Reaction Score
Even the dregs of the ACC leftovers would be much than the AAC. Even if they're paid under a worst case scenario say $15 million per school in media dollars, that's still about twice or the big east is likely to get paid in a best case scenario.

My guess is that the ACC is left with about 7 teams, and they're not getting 15 million per school.

Reaction Score
We shall see.
If they’re left with 7 schools, the only way I’d join would be as a football only. UConn would be in the drivers seat. It would be up BC, Cuse, and others to figure out where to try and park their basketball. And it would be sweet revenge to prevent BC from rejoining the Big East

Reaction Score
If they’re left with 7 schools, the only way I’d join would be as a football only. UConn would be in the drivers seat. It would be up BC, Cuse, and others to figure out where to try and park their basketball. And it would be sweet revenge to prevent BC from rejoining the Big East
I kind of feel that way (re: BC), but honestly, at this point I'd love to just absorb all the remnants of the ACC and improve the BE. Maybe we hold BC in the wind for a month or two and publicly embarrass them before letting them in

Reaction Score
I kind of feel that way (re: BC), but honestly, at this point I'd love to just absorb all the remnants of the ACC and improve the BE. Maybe we hold BC in the wind for a month or two and publicly embarrass them before letting them in
Demand that their AD walk 20 laps around the UConn campus wearing a sign that says "We tried to kill UConn sports, but you're just better than us."

Reaction Score
And CFP payouts

Reaction Score
And CFP payouts
I'm pretty sure they're already renegotiating that to give the SEC and B12 around 60% and peanuts to everyone else. When the ACC collapses, they'll be in G5 territory

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My concern with the BE/ACC remainders merger is that it would very unstable. Yes, I realize the irony given the possible origins of the this merger. However, the moment it is form there will be cloak and dagger again to leave. The BE/ACC remainders conf could have a very short life, like the BE expansion with TCU and SDST that never was.

Reaction Score
My concern with the BE/ACC remainders merger is that it would very unstable. Yes, I realize the irony given the possible origins of the this merger. However, the moment it is form there will be cloak and dagger again to leave. The BE/ACC remainders conf could have a very short life, like the BE expansion with TCU and SDST that never was.
True but any merger, in my opinion, means that the ACC leftovers are basically out. There are only so many spots left in the SEC/B1G/B12 unless the conferences go to 24-26 which would be insanity.

Reaction Score
There have been sports boards posters who think that there are old line Tobacco Road honchos that would like to see UNC, Duke, NC State, Virginia hang together and emphasize basketball.

Round ball is their #1...and some point to bringing along Wake Forest, VT. No real desire for BC/Cuse.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that they'll only be left with seven schools, but even if that were the case rejoining the big east doesn't help them for football. I still think the ACC leftovers are worth more than the rest of the big east conference. That may not be fair. it may not reflect the results on the court. But there is a perception that every P5 school is somehow better than any G5 school particularly those who don't play football. Seton Hall learned that lesson this year.

CL82

Reaction Score
Um, they can rot in hell.

Reaction Score
There have been sports boards posters who think that there are old line Tobacco Road honchos that would like to see UNC, Duke, NC State, Virginia hang together and emphasize basketball.

Round ball is their #1...and some point to bringing along Wake Forest, VT. No real desire for BC/Cuse.
There are such people around Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh. Historically the ACC is a basketball centric league with good, not great, football. Florida State has never been a great fit. They were unbeaten in the league for something like 7 years, for heaven sakes.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that they'll only be left with seven schools, but even if that were the case rejoining the big east doesn't help them for football. I still think the ACC leftovers are worth more than the rest of the big east conference. That may not be fair. it may not reflect the results on the court. But there is a perception that every P5 school is somehow better than any G5 school particularly those who don't play football. Seton Hall learned that lesson this year.
I hear ya.
I think the reality is that any moves made have to be considered as interim fixes at best.
I can easily see the end game being different conference structures by revenue generating sports. Just like what’s done with college hockey now. So football only, hoops only, hockey only, and baseball only. Plus regional Olympic sports. Each having multiple levels. All geared around the different fan base cultures.
And each of those conferences need to figure out how they generate revenue in the ever evolving playing field - paying college athletes, streaming, nil, etc)
That may happen as soon as 5-10 years.

Reaction Score
A merge to be old BE would be best for us. Keep both brands, ACC and BE for 2 divisions for basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
I hear ya.
I think the reality is that any moves made have to be considered as interim fixes at best.
I can easily see the end game being different conference structures by revenue generating sports. Just like what’s done with college hockey now. So football only, hoops only, hockey only, and baseball only. Plus regional Olympic sports. Each having multiple levels. All geared around the different fan base cultures.
And each of those conferences need to figure out how they generate revenue in the ever evolving playing field - paying college athletes, streaming, nil, etc)
That may happen as soon as 5-10 years.
That would actually be ideal for us. I doubt it happens because there are too many stakeholders who under perform and are still rewarded in the current system.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom