ACC options | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
This. The ACC will (maybe) take SMU b/c SMU (reportedly) said they would forgot disbursements for “several years”. Heck, why wouldn’t the ACC take that if it’s true. They get SMU for free and get into Texas. UConn’s likely not making that same offer.
UConn can't compete with SMU's TV market size, Dallas/Forth Worth and all of Texas. UConn is a bigger brand, but SMU is part of a larger TV market.

Reaction Score
I’m just wondering why we are still talking about divisions, you make 10 team East West football divisions in the Big10 (let’s say they take Kansas and UConn to get to 20). That’s a full 9 game conference schedule. What happens to the great matchups that the TV networks bought? Michigan , PSU and OSU will never play USC, Oregon, Washington or even Wisconsin. Not what the TV execs want. Also, the Eastern schools want to play out west and vice versa. Football divisions aren’t happening. Maybe pods, but that leads to unbalanced scheduling. The Big10 has gone divisionless and I think they will stay that way.

I did not like the Big Ten's divisionless model...led to non definitive champs drawing on tiebreaker rules...

1998...3 way tie...all 7-1

1999...2 way tie

2000...2 way tie

2002...2 way tie

2004....2 way tie

2005...2 way tie

Reaction Score
At some point the B1G will have 24 schools and field four pods of six schools each.

Personally our getting added is a dream scenario but even if it isn't for another 16-18 years before this is completed I don't think we'll have enough time to get to where we'd need to be for consideration.

The sad thing is twenty years ago we feasibly were twenty to twenty five years away but our leadership squandered so much capital and goodwill that we killed any opportunities we may have had at being able to run elbows on all levels with the best public schools in the country.
Are you the poster that mentioned a ways back there is/was a faction that d wanted the football program to only succeed at a certain level or the school itself becoming a better public u?

Reaction Score
This. The ACC will (maybe) take SMU b/c SMU (reportedly) said they would forgot disbursements for “several years”. Heck, why wouldn’t the ACC take that if it’s true. They get SMU for free and get into Texas. UConn’s likely not making that same offer.
UConn can't make the same offer. We are not located in Dallas, Texas.

Reaction Score
Stanford & Cal should join as football only members. Put their other sports in the West Coast Conference

Reaction Score
Stanford & Cal should join as football only members. Put their other sports in the West Coast Conference
Stanford and Cal's sports line up pretty well with the Big 12 sports offerings, better than the WCC. And, in the Big 12, Stanford and Cal would be playing 4 schools previously in the Pac 12. I just can't imagine Stanford and Cal, 2 academically oriented schools, sending their teams across the country to play ACC schools.

I think the order of preference for Cal and Stanford is:

1) Big 10
2) Big 12
3) Independent in football/WCC
4) ACC

Financially, I think the ACC can make Stanford/Cal/SMU work, but I don't think Stanford/Cal want to join the conference.

Reaction Score
Stanford and Cal want to stay in the now P4. I agree B1G, Big 12 would be the first two choices, but the ACC is much better than going independent. It’s been a disaster for us.

Reaction Score
Stanford and Cal want to stay in the now P4. I agree B1G, Big 12 would be the first two choices, but the ACC is much better than going independent. It’s been a disaster for us.
Why do you think indy is a disaster? Other than horrible payout, we can schedule how we like for a winning season. What's so bad about that?

Reaction Score
We have a very difficult time putting a schedule together and it will only get tougher with the conferences expanding. We need to play for a conference championship to get attention to our program.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We have a very difficult time putting a schedule together and it will only get tougher with the conferences expanding. We need to play for a conference championship to get attention to our program.
Scheduling may very well get more difficult with conference expansion but the schedules we've put together so far (and many matchups we have set in the near future) are far better than most could have imagined when we left the AAC.

Reaction Score
Scheduling may very well get more difficult with conference expansion but the schedules we've put together so far (and many matchups we have set in the near future) are far better than most could have imagined when we left the AAC.
I was looking at the future schedules for the 4 teams just added to the Big12 to see if they had scheduled were what were going to be non-conference games... Between 2024 and 2028 there are multi-year series between 6 schools (CO, KSU, Houston, AZ, BYU, and Utah) that now become dates that need filling because those schools will now be playing each other in-conference. A total of 14 potential openings, so maybe we can pick up 1-3 games for those seasons to fill our open slots. And perhaps the 4 PAC remnants will need to fill slots as well - depending on what they do as indies or in a new conference. So, if we're not landing in a conference before 2028, there are potentially some nice Power games to pick up.

Reaction Score
I did not like the Big Ten's divisionless model...led to non definitive champs drawing on tiebreaker rules...

1998...3 way tie...all 7-1

1999...2 way tie

2000...2 way tie

2002...2 way tie

2004....2 way tie

2005...2 way tie
I think the divisionless model sucks. At least in previous eras everyone played everyone. This system is inevitably going to produce ties between teams that didn't even play each other.

And who wants to see Ohio State and Michigan potentially play back to back weeks (and then maybe again in the expanded playoff)? I thought it was bad enough when Ohio State got in last season after losing to Michigan at home to end the season. Now they'll be able to lose to Michigan to end the season and then again in the conference title game and still make the playoff. This was the one sport where every game felt like a playoff game, and it feels like the people in charge are doing everything possible to ruin it.

Reaction Score
The ACC is stuck. Can't breakup. And can't expand. I don't see FSU agreeing to anything but let us take our ball and leave.

Reaction Score
The ACC is stuck. Can't breakup. And can't expand. I don't see FSU agreeing to anything but let us take our ball and leave.
Where would FSU leave to though? I think the B1G has expansion fatigue at this point and just wants a little time to digest all the recent additions to see how they work out, and the SEC looks like it's damn near impossible to get into as they will take their sweet time adding the schools they choose not the ones begging to be in the club.

Reaction Score
Where would FSU leave to though? I think the B1G has expansion fatigue at this point and just wants a little time to digest all the recent additions to see how they work out, and the SEC looks like it's damn near impossible to get into as they will take their sweet time adding the schools they choose not the ones begging to be in the club.

I'm sure B1G would take FSU but there's simply no way (as far as we know) to break the GOR so FSU is worthless until then.

Reaction Score
Ulimately, FSU just wants the revenue to compete at the highest level...no one will approach the B1G or SEC...but closing the gap some would make for a positive vote...IMHO.

But...there is value in numbers. Not being the smallest conference of the P4...and, for some years to come, there is value in adding the Bay market and the Dallas market in terms of ACCN carriage.

And that whole "coast to coast" thang...

Reaction Score
That UConn is not in this discussion is both dumbfounding and infuriating. They must really hold a grudge in Tobacco Road.

Reaction Score
Ulimately, FSU just wants the revenue to compete at the highest level...no one will approach the B1G or SEC...but closing the gap some would make for a positive vote...IMHO.
That's just not possible. FSU is asking for the conference to squeeze blood from a stone and is being completely unreasonable. FSU needs to understand there is no way for them to compete with the B1G or SEC schools and accept their position as a second class citizen. It's OK, there's going to be a lot of schools getting kicked out of the "power" club soon. Welcome to our world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom