Abdul Malik-Abu "seriously considering transferring" | The Boneyard

Abdul Malik-Abu "seriously considering transferring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
...or hiring an agent.

This kid made such a gigantic mistake. Hope he rectifies it - and I'm sure KO would welcome him with open arms!

EDIT: This is a recent tweet AMA favorited:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We all knew he made a huge mistake at the time. I'll never understand how Gottfried gets all these top kids, it's almost as mysterious as Dave Rice's run at UNLV. Abu should have come here out of high school but I would still gladly take him now, reminds me of Rodney's mistake.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
We all knew he made a huge mistake at the time. I'll never understand how Gottfried gets all these top kids, it's almost as mysterious as Dave Rice's run at UNLV. Abu should have come here out of high school but I would still gladly take him now, reminds me of Rodney's mistake.
Yup.

If he comes here, he'll be eligible for 2017-18 as part of the junior class, which would also include Enoch, Larrier & Cash. The other PFs we'd already have rostered at that point are Diallo & Durham.

We're in on a number of bigs for the next two recruiting classes, many with higher upsides than AMA. That said... you don't say no to a kid who averaged 13 poitns/9 rebs/1.3 assists on 49%fg/63%ft in the ACC. He's proven he can excel in college, and that could be the perfect addition to a roster that looks like it'll be top 10 (or better) in 2 years.

I really want this to happen.

Reaction Score
I don't know why top recruits still go there. It seems like no one is ever happy. I'm guessing they have some level of Louisville sleazy recruiting tactic$.

Reaction Score
Did not see him on combine invite list that Goodman has put out so pulling out of draft seems like the smart move...unless he is in such hardship that a Europe paycheck would do.

Not sure if anyone understood the decision to go to North Carolina state when providence or uconn looked like obvious choices at time of decision. Even his buddy Terrell had a change of heart and came back to New England (uri) after previously committing to okie state.

I agree with matrim you take the kid who has produced at this leve rather than potentially miss on some more talented bigger fish in 2017

Reaction Score
Seems like the only thing he isn't considering is returning to that mess at N.C. State. I'd be surprised if he ends up transferring, though - can't imagine a kid this good sitting a year.

If he does transfer, though, I wonder if a school like Rhode Island would be our biggest competitor. He was always floated as a package deal with Terrell, right?

Reaction Score
Yup.

If he comes here, he'll be eligible for 2017-18 as part of the junior class, which would also include Enoch, Larrier & Cash. The other PFs we'd already have rostered at that point are Diallo & Durham.

We're in on a number of bigs for the next two recruiting classes, many with higher upsides than AMA. That said... you don't say no to a kid who averaged 13 poitns/9 rebs/1.3 assists on 49%fg/63%ft in the ACC. He's proven he can excel in college, and that could be the perfect addition to a roster that looks like it'll be top 10 (or better) in 2 years.

I really want this to happen.
Whenever I've watched NC State he was relentless on the boards, especially the offensive glass. He's bouncy as hell, I like his game a lot.

Reaction Score
Back when Abu committed to NC State...

Asked about how he felt about UConn, Abu said: "They were real close. Kevin Ollie's a great man. He might have been one of my favorite head coaches in this whole thing, if not the favorite. He's a real guy, a friendly guy, real personable. UConn was definitely a place I saw myself going to, but I was more comfortable with the decision I made. I'm grateful they were recruiting me in the first place."

Reaction Score
I don't know why top recruits still go there. It seems like no one is ever happy. I'm guessing they have some level of Louisville sleazy recruiting tactic$.
Remember during his recruitment there was a poster from the NCST board posting here (Dunlow something). He kept saying for months before Abu committed that Abu's AAU coach was really pushing NCST hard. When he ended up committing there, I assumed whatever NCST was doing to make that guy happy made the difference.

Reaction Score
Seems like the only thing he isn't considering is returning to that mess at N.C. State. I'd be surprised if he ends up transferring, though - can't imagine a kid this good sitting a year.

If he does transfer, though, I wonder if a school like Rhode Island would be our biggest competitor. He was always floated as a package deal with Terrell, right?

I don't recall anyone taking the Terrell/Abu package deal concept particularly seriously at the time (other than the whole Cooley/Chris Webber on the phone/PC Fab 5 pitch). I'd be shocked if he transferred to URI, that wouldn't seem to make much sense for his pro ambitions.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Austin Nichols

A kid like this transfers to somebody with national title hopes. If he's really on the market and we're interested, we'll be in the mix against the likes of Sparty, Florida, Texas, etc.

Reaction Score
I would rather have the Martin twins, Abu would only be here a year if that.

Reaction Score
There's no way we'd take two red shirts at the same time right now.

Reaction Score
Back when Abu committed to NC State...

Asked about how he felt about UConn, Abu said: "They were real close. Kevin Ollie's a great man. He might have been one of my favorite head coaches in this whole thing, if not the favorite. He's a real guy, a friendly guy, real personable. UConn was definitely a place I saw myself going to, but I was more comfortable with the decision I made. I'm grateful they were recruiting me in the first place."

This screams "I would've committed to UConn if they matched ($$) NCSt's offer"

Reaction Score
Austin Nichols

A kid like this transfers to somebody with national title hopes. If he's really on the market and we're interested, we'll be in the mix against the likes of Sparty, Florida, Texas, etc.

Nichols is definitely a good example.

Rhode Island has the chance to be really good in 2017-18. Assuming there are no early departures, E.C. Matthews, Terrell, and Jarvis Garrett are all very good - or have the chance to be - and they will be seniors by the time Abu is eligible. To me, that would be a team at least worthy of aspiring to do something big.

There's probably a decent chance Matthews leaves for the NBA next year, but I still wonder if the appeal of re-uniting with Terrell in New England could give Abu something to think about.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He has two years of eligibility left, and is not a particularly highly regarded pro prospect. He's also a much better player than either of the Martin twins.

Reaction Score
Abu is a better rebounder for sure, but Caleb Martin can step out and shoot 3's, I like both players

Reaction Score
Abu is a better rebounder for sure, but Caleb Martin can step out and shoot 3's, I like both players

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I would love to get this kid. No chance he gets a waiver and can play immediately?

Reaction Score
I would love to get this kid. No chance he gets a waiver and can play immediately?

Pretty sure that doesn't exist except for grad students, so probably not.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Nichols is definitely a good example.

Rhode Island has the chance to be really good in 2017-18. Assuming there are no early departures, E.C. Matthews, Terrell, and Jarvis Garrett are all very good - or have the chance to be - and they will be seniors by the time Abu is eligible. To me, that would be a team at least worthy of aspiring to do something big.

There's probably a decent chance Matthews leaves for the NBA next year, but I still wonder if the appeal of re-uniting with Terrell in New England could give Abu something to think about.
I remember a lot of people thinking they were a package deal. Hell, Cincinnati was recruiting Abu just because we were in on Terrell for a while (and mysteriously backed off for some reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom