#5 South Carolina loses... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#5 South Carolina loses...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Out if curiousity, which South Carolina fan said Boston was a generational player?

I only spot monitor the "mostly" UConn board and missed that one.

That's an odd perspective to me you have about superiority claims and disappearing etc. I respect your truth though.

You have to defend on two fronts now :p

Reaction Score
Out if curiousity, which South Carolina fan said Boston was a generational player?

That's an odd perspective to me you have about superiority claims and disappearing etc. I respect your truth though.

The "generational player" when discussed is always something a UConn fan throws out when they make comparison to their past players. The only time I have heard anything about Boston being that type of player was brought up by a UConn fan before she committed to SC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You miss the point. Boston may well end up being a great player. I wished UConn had her. But when a fan makes a homer comment on a rival's board like the one being discussed there is nothing wrong with teasing a little. There has been a long history of S Carolina fans making assertions about the superiority of their team, going back to when Wilson was a freshman, and even before. And despite losing to UConn every year they continue, disappearing when their bubble gets burst only to reappear sometimes months later and starting in again. Now I welcome this, a little repartee is good. But I'm not going to stifle my posts because they are nice people.
I've stated that I think Bueckers "could" be a generational player. Geno has hinted as much. But if I were to go to the S Car. board and state it as fact I would deserve everything they give me.

The search function works wonders. Im not entirely sure it was a South Carolina fan who made those comments.

Reaction Score

I wasn't singling out anyone but I have a clear memory of one S Car. fan who made some rash predictions of beating UConn several years ago and then disappeared after they got pasted. The person returned the next year when the game was to be in Columbia and again made some predictions that failed to occur. I liked the poster as I like all S Car. fans who come here to support their program but I also like to hold people to their words.

Reaction Score
The "generational player" when discussed is always something a UConn fan throws out when they make comparison to their past players. The only time I have heard anything about Boston being that type of player was brought up by a UConn fan before she committed to SC.

The word I like to use is transcendent. It has a certain saintly connotation attached to it. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
SC's freshman class is very good. No idea how good they all will end up, but so far, Boston has impressed a lot. Having said that, do I wish we landed her? Hell yeah. Do I wish she'd end up a bust? Hell yeah. But let's be honest...

She's been really good, and that's with her woefully out of shape, like all big post players coming out of high school. Based on what I've seen, as she gets into better shape, she will be even more dominant. UCONN unfortunately doesn't have a player like her, except for maybe Gabriel.

ONO is more finesse, and Edwards and DeBerry are more forwards rather than bruising back to the basket centers. It remains to be see what Gabriel can turn into, but she certainly has a much lower starting point that Boston.

Having said all that, SC doesn't really worry me. They simply have not recruited as well as UCONN with their classes surrounding their big class. When you consider what we have coming in next year, which I would say is at least as good as a complete class as SC's freshman class, our classes before and after are simply better.

One thing UCONN has done differently is followed up a blockbuster class (Bueckers, etc.), with potentially another blockbuster class (DeBerry, Poff, and maybe/hopefully Fudd). Add to that #1 Williams, top 5 ONO, #1 Walker, and an under-rated Griffin and Makurat, and really no one will be able to compete.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for it to be pointed out to us who that South Carolina fan was that called Boston a "generational" player.

Reaction Score
I'm going on a limb and predicting the greatest Uconn player in history hasnt been born yet and is class of 2040.........or there abouts since ever generation makes such gr8 leaps....

Reaction Score
Earlier this year I saw Cal Baptist beat the NAU Lumberjacks soundly. They are disciplined with three very effective 3-point shooters. Surprising they stayed so close to Stanford but Cal Baptist can shoot ball.
A tiny little church near the green in Tolland Ct says it is the origin of the Southern Baptist church. All good things began in Connecticut, even the Courant also in the late 1800's Connecticut had more than it's share of lumberjacks up to 1930.

Reaction Score
Don’t hold your breath. There’s a fair amount of supposition on the BY masquerading as truth.
Speculation/supposition --guesses, some educated. Until the games start going in full tilt --there is little left other than speculation/supposition/guessing/even hoping.

Reaction Score
I'm going on a limb and predicting the greatest Uconn player in history hasnt been born yet and is class of 2040.........or there abouts since ever generation makes such gr8 leaps....
What makes you think there WILL be a Uconn then?? Or a Duke for that matter. I agree TECHNOLOGY makes great leaps every generation or so. With the population of the US doubling every 30 years there will be no room for a gym or practice facility or A Gampel clone.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
With the population of the US doubling every 30 years there will be no room for a gym or practice facility or A Gampel clone.

Have you flown cross country and looked out the window? There is a lot of empty space, no fear of filling up the country any time soon.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that if you had the same population density as Tokyo, you could fit the entire US population into Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
Have you flown cross country and looked out the window? There is a lot of empty space, no fear of filling up the country any time soon.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that if you had the same population density as Tokyo, you could fit the entire US population into Rhode Island.
Oh yes and I flew across the country when there was a whole lot more empty space. The added effect is more and more people want to live in cities and many large spreads are owned by corporations or the government.
Doubling in 30 means around 3/4 billion around 2040

Reaction Score

Actually the emphasis was on UcONN and Storrs. If you were there 30 years ago and recently visited you'd be hard pressed to recognize it or find a parking space. It was tough 30 years ago to park. I got too many ticket there 40 years ago and I was on Uconn business then, Yep I paid. Connecticut and Uconn are tiny--no vast open spaces as Utah, Nevada, New Mexico (phew is that closing in).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I read that. I'm keeping an open mind, as I haven't watched her enough to judge. My guess is that she will be more like Kelsey Bone than like Britney Griner.
Having seen both Kelsey Bone and Aliyah Boston play in person as freshmen, Aliyah is a much better player at this point of her career. Dare I say that Aliyah is also ahead of A'ja Wilson at this point?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Actually the emphasis was on UcONN and Storrs. If you were there 30 years ago and recently visited you'd be hard pressed to recognize it or find a parking space. It was tough 30 years ago to park. I got too many ticket there 40 years ago and I was on Uconn business then, Yep I paid. Connecticut and Uconn are tiny--no vast open spaces as Utah, Nevada, New Mexico (phew is that closing in).

I was there 30+ years ago, but have not visited in a long time. I did check out the campus on sattelite map view and it is much bigger than it was then. I think when I attended, the total enrollment at UCONN including the satellite campuses was about 12,000. I think that's smaller than the current freshman class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom