#5 South Carolina loses... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#5 South Carolina loses...

Reaction Score
It's not just about having a 5th starter score double digits, it's about greater efficiency in shooting. At 6'5, Liv is shooting 42% (29/69) with most of her shots coming in and around the paint. Crystal is shooting 41.4% (24/58), a senior who is expected to be more efficient and have a better shot selection. Christyn is shooting 31.8% (7/22) from 3pt land, last year just about 37%. And, of course, Anna is shooting 25% (7/28) overall and 19% (4/21) from 3pt land. I did the math and just one more 2 pointer and one more 3 pointer a game would give us 5 more points a game and raise our average to 80.0 points a game, that would make put us where Geno has expressed he'd like to be. So, I'm sure Anna will break her funk and the other girls will become more efficient, but until then it's not just about points from the 5th starter. We need just a little more efficiency from everyone, especially since we haven't really faced higher ranked teams with higher level talent. The bright side, we have a really good balance in our scoring on all 3 levels, and that's what it's going to take to advance deep into the tournament. Go Huskies!
Excellent points! Would also suggest that 1-2 more offensive rebounds and 1-2 more defensive rebounds would be help. Seems like we haven't even tried to get to the offensive boards lately with exception of Griffin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not just about having a 5th starter score double digits, it's about greater efficiency in shooting. At 6'5, Liv is shooting 42% (29/69) with most of her shots coming in and around the paint. Crystal is shooting 41.4% (24/58), a senior who is expected to be more efficient and have a better shot selection. Christyn is shooting 31.8% (7/22) from 3pt land, last year just about 37%. And, of course, Anna is shooting 25% (7/28) overall and 19% (4/21) from 3pt land. I did the math and just one more 2 pointer and one more 3 pointer a game would give us 5 more points a game and raise our average to 80.0 points a game, that would make put us where Geno has expressed he'd like to be. So, I'm sure Anna will break her funk and the other girls will become more efficient, but until then it's not just about points from the 5th starter. We need just a little more efficiency from everyone, especially since we haven't really faced higher ranked teams with higher level talent. The bright side, we have a really good balance in our scoring on all 3 levels, and that's what it's going to take to advance deep into the tournament. Go Huskies!
Early season shooting percentages don’t concern me. As info, NPOY front runner Sabrina Ionescu is currently at 46%.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Excellent points! Would also suggest that 1-2 more offensive rebounds and 1-2 more defensive rebounds would be help. Seems like we haven't even tried to get to the offensive boards lately with exception of Griffin.
It would help if they stop taking shots with no UConn player under the basket or no player in position to rebound.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Early season shooting percentages don’t concern me. As info, NPOY front runner Sabrina Ionescu is currently at 46%.
Hmmm, 46% seems a good percentage, unless it was much higher last season. Was it higher last season? I agree that early season percentages should not be a concern. (See Makurat)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hmmm, 46% seems a good percentage, unless it was much higher last season. Was it higher last season? I agree that early season percentages should not be a concern. (See Makurat)
Last year Ionescu shot 44% for the season, but that’s really not my point. As a team, after playing 5 P5 teams along with one conference matchup, UConn is shooting 47% as a team, which is pretty darn good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But...But... One of our posters says she's a "generational" talent.
I read that. I'm keeping an open mind, as I haven't watched her enough to judge. My guess is that she will be more like Kelsey Bone than like Britney Griner.

Reaction Score
It would help if they stop taking shots with no UConn player under the basket or no player in position to rebound.
There is truth to that. But!! An open shot is typically a good shot and most of those missed were not contested. What does that say about Uconn's kids? I have a view and it isn't negative.

Reaction Score
I read that. I'm keeping an open mind, as I haven't watched her enough to judge. My guess is that she will be more like Kelsey Bone than like Britney Griner.
Generational? Does that mean she is OLD? Olivia is a talent not yet or close to a superstar. Could she be that exceptional, exception, for Uconn? You bet. She is intelligent, energetic, and a raw talent. She needs 2 inches in height to be Griner--and about 20 pounds, but with the added height and girth she could be.
I honestly think Olivia Nelson Ododa is and excellent example of --Olivia Nelson Ododa and she is good.
The true tests haven't started yet in the OOC games we shall see.

Reaction Score
One other indication of how challenging it is for top teams to navigate OOC schedules unscathed. Last night #3 Stanford withstood a furious 2nd half rally by the California Baptist Lancers, a team I’ve never even heard of, winning 83-78.
Earlier this year I saw Cal Baptist beat the NAU Lumberjacks soundly. They are disciplined with three very effective 3-point shooters. Surprising they stayed so close to Stanford but Cal Baptist can shoot ball.

Reaction Score
I’ve got an open mind too but nobody that knows basketball throws around terms like generational for a kid just getting out of HS. I don’t remember anyone describing Moore or Stewart as generational talents 5 games into their careers and they actually were. I mean, this kid’s not even great yet. At least wait until she can make a shot outside of ten feet consistently maybe.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I’ve got an open mind too but nobody that knows basketball throws around terms like generational for a kid just getting out of HS. I don’t remember anyone describing Moore or Stewart as generational talents 5 games into their careers and they actually were. I mean, this kid’s not even great yet. At least wait until she can make a shot outside of ten feet consistently maybe.
You have a short memory!

Among many others, Geno said that Stewie might be the best player he had yet coached, before she played in a single college game.

You read similar things right now about Paige Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Wish they would’ve won —I wanted to see the South Carolina - Baylor match up

Reaction Score
You have a short memory!

Among many others, Geno said that Stewie might be the best player he had yet coached, before she played in a single college game.

You read similar things right now about Paige Bueckers.
"Might" That means potentially. Did you hear him use the term generational? I didn't either. I'll go with this definition, to qualify as a generational talent a player must have been at the very top of the game for a long period and then gone on to do great things in their career. In other words that potential must be proven out. The term "generational" shouldn't be gifted arbitrarily for being a very good HS player.

Reaction Score
Indiana looks pretty good. Guess what Danielle Patterson left ND and is enrolled at Indiana. She sits out this year and is eligible for 2 seasons. Thats encouraging for Indiana. A couple of thoughts. With these top teams struggleing yesterday it makes me think that with our core 4 we're in pretty good shape. Another point that I keep on mentionig all we need is a fifth starter who can give us double digets and a bench that can contribute offensively and bingo we're there again. We're in better shape then we thought we were. One other point when you look at UConns boxscore most of the time we have 4 players who score double digets.
As to needing a fifth starter who can score in double digits, how about instead one who can lead the team in assists. Oh, we already have that....it isn’t who puts the ball in the basket, it is putting the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
I’d say just Oregon and Baylor at this point. Stanford is barely winning games against teams like Cal Baptist.
I agree to some extent, Stanford is young but loaded with talent, talent with height, so they present a famiiar challenge for UConn. Baylor is not the same team without Lauren Cox and they are the least threatening from the perimeter when compared to Oregon, Stanford and UConn. As for Oregon, they're very human and can be beaten without necessarily having a really bad day. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Sometimes you rise up because you're just so darn good. Other times you just stand still, and everyone collapses around you. In past years we've been so dominant that the expectations were we would always prevail and by large margins. When we slip, folks say "That doesn't look like UConn." When we're going great guns, folks say "That's the UConn we've come to know." Our standard for the team is awfully high. This goes back to the notion that "we're in a league of our own." Perhaps that isn't happening now; perhaps Oregon and Baylor are truly far and away the best. Well, I'll say this: if the Ducks and Bears are really that good, they'll have to show us. Then we'll either ascend to the very top of the game or sit mired in the middle of the first 10. We'll be entirely in charge of our own fate. I like our odds.

Reaction Score
SC’s loss is just another indication that this time of year just about every top team, no matter how talented they are, struggles at times to execute against a lesser opponent. Often times top teams manage to pull out a nail-biter, but some times they don’t. If anything, it should make Husky fans even more appreciative of the fact that no matter who graduates, who’s injured or who the opponent is, UConn hasn’t lost to a team outside the top 10 in like forever.....

Particularly teams that play a lot of freshmen.

South Carolina has struggled to score against the best two teams on the schedule particularly from the perimeter. But is 1-1 in those games.

Hopefully, that is the worst combined game that Harris and Boston will play this year and let's throw in Cooke for good measure.

Reaction Score
Give her a break. She's half a dozen games into her college career. She's going to be great. Other teams' players take the sophomore leap too.

I'm all in favor of giving her a break. But not that S Car fan who crossed over into over-exuberant fantasy.

Reaction Score
Particularly teams that play a lot of freshmen.

South Carolina has struggled to score against the best two teams on the schedule particularly from the perimeter. But is 1-1 in those games.

Hopefully, that is the worst combined game that Harris and Boston will play this year and let's throw in Cooke for good measure.
Boston didn't struggle she just didn't play because of the fouls. She hit 5 of her 6 attempts from the field. Now the whole backcourt struggled.

Reaction Score
"Might" That means potentially. Did you hear him use the term generational? I didn't either. I'll go with this definition, to qualify as a generational talent a player must have been at the very top of the game for a long period and then gone on to do great things in their career. In other words that potential must be proven out. The term "generational" shouldn't be gifted arbitrarily for being a very good HS player.

Why does it matter if someone called Boston "Generational"? It's a different opinion than yours... great.. You can debate it all you like, just do it respectfully.

Reaction Score
Their fans are excited about her and for good reason. Just like we are with Paige Bueckers. It's OK. Other teams recruit and land great players too.

You miss the point. Boston may well end up being a great player. I wished UConn had her. But when a fan makes a homer comment on a rival's board like the one being discussed there is nothing wrong with teasing a little. There has been a long history of S Carolina fans making assertions about the superiority of their team, going back to when Wilson was a freshman, and even before. And despite losing to UConn every year they continue, disappearing when their bubble gets burst only to reappear sometimes months later and starting in again. Now I welcome this, a little repartee is good. But I'm not going to stifle my posts because they are nice people.
I've stated that I think Bueckers "could" be a generational player. Geno has hinted as much. But if I were to go to the S Car. board and state it as fact I would deserve everything they give me.

Reaction Score
You miss the point. Boston may well end up being a great player. I wished UConn had her. But when a fan makes a homer comment on a rival's board like the one being discussed there is nothing wrong with teasing a little. There has been a long history of S Carolina fans making assertions about the superiority of their team, going back to when Wilson was a freshman, and even before. And despite losing to UConn every year they continue, disappearing when their bubble gets burst only to reappear sometimes months later and starting in again. Now I welcome this, a little repartee is good. But I'm not going to stifle my posts because they are nice people.
I've stated that I think Bueckers "could" be a generational player. Geno has hinted as much. But if I were to go to the S Car. board and state it as fact I would deserve everything they give me.

Out if curiousity, which South Carolina fan said Boston was a generational player?

I only spot monitor the "mostly" UConn board and missed that one.

That's an odd perspective to me you have about superiority claims and disappearing etc. I respect your truth though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom