#5 South Carolina loses... | The Boneyard

#5 South Carolina loses...

Reaction Score
Lack of efficient perimeter shooting costs #5 South Carolina. Were they really a top 5 team?
Screenshot_2019-11-28-21-44-32.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't see the S.C. game, but that score isn't particularly close. They scored 9 in Q2 and 6 in Q4. Eek!

The Jackrabbits are well coached, so I'm not totally surprised, but beating USF is a nice step.

Many of the scores were close today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are 3 top 25 teams lost today
#5 South Carolina lost to #17 Indiana
#21 South Florida lost to SDSU
#23 W Virginia lost to Creigton
Indeed, but given the hype by ESPN after their win against Maryland, this particular top 5 loss stands out to me. It was discussed at length in the thread about the SC/MD game, but SC does not have a perimeter game to speak of so a lot of their high scoring offense comes from having a height advantage against teams that aren't particularly good to begin with. So, I used this thread to make the case that they are to some degree not the team they're being hyped to be, and that by comparison UCONN will have a fighting chance against the likes of Oregon, Baylor and Stanford because we have players that can be efficient both driving and shooting the ball. Go Huskies!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
But...But... One of our posters says she's a "generational" talent.

Boston only played 14 minutes before fouling out. She barely saw the floor enough to impact the game. Learning opportunity for the freshman. I thought the refs were definitely targeting her a little bit being that she's a known shot blocker, but a little discipline from her would've allowed her to impact the game more.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State has a bit of fouling out problem ourselves. We're gonna have not only Danberry, but both our point guards foul out in key games if they keep attempting to make in-bound steals like Vic drew 'em up! Those reach-in fouls add up.

Still, our team's strength is steals and turnover forcing and that was why we just got by Marquette.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
In a game of not-quite-ranked teams, Florida Gulf Coast beat Notre Dame, who committed 25 TOs. The Irish are 4-3 and have 2 more competitive games in Cancun.
ND could have a losing record when they come to Gampel on Dec 8. I can't remember when was the last time either of these two teams had a losing record when they met.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC’s loss is just another indication that this time of year just about every top team, no matter how talented they are, struggles at times to execute against a lesser opponent. Often times top teams manage to pull out a nail-biter, but some times they don’t. If anything, it should make Husky fans even more appreciative of the fact that no matter who graduates, who’s injured or who the opponent is, UConn hasn’t lost to a team outside the top 10 in like forever.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other indication of how challenging it is for top teams to navigate OOC schedules unscathed. Last night #3 Stanford withstood a furious 2nd half rally by the California Baptist Lancers, a team I’ve never even heard of, winning 83-78.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One other indication of how challenging it is for top teams to navigate OOC schedules unscathed. Last night #3 Stanford withstood a furious 2nd half rally by the California Baptist Lancers, a team I’ve never even heard of, winning 83-78.
Also an indication of how difficult it is relying on a freshman to carry much of the load. They tend to be inconsistent while they’re still learning the college game - not to mention adjusting to the rigors of being in college. It’s a lot to ask of a young person

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
SC’s loss is just another indication that this time of year just about every top team, no matter how talented they are, struggles at times to execute against a lesser opponent. Often times top teams manage to pull out a nail-biter, but some times they don’t. If anything, it should make Husky fans even more appreciative of the fact that no matter who graduates, who’s injured or who the opponent is, UConn hasn’t lost to a team outside the top 10 in like forever.....

Bite your tongue. :)

Reaction Score
Isn't it interesting that HOF guard Dawn traditionally does not feature
well coached guards.

It always made me a little suspect of her coaching prowess.

It's hard to teach someone what comes naturally to you. That's why in many sports the best coaches are the ex-players that had to work to be good (or just average).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Indiana looks pretty good. Guess what Danielle Patterson left ND and is enrolled at Indiana. She sits out this year and is eligible for 2 seasons. Thats encouraging for Indiana. A couple of thoughts. With these top teams struggleing yesterday it makes me think that with our core 4 we're in pretty good shape. Another point that I keep on mentionig all we need is a fifth starter who can give us double digets and a bench that can contribute offensively and bingo we're there again. We're in better shape then we thought we were. One other point when you look at UConns boxscore most of the time we have 4 players who score double digets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indiana looks pretty good. Guess what Danielle Patterson left ND and is enrolled at Indiana. She sits out this year and is eligible for 2 seasons. Thats encouraging for Indiana. A couple of thoughts. With these top teams struggleing yesterday it makes me think that with our core 4 we're in pretty good shape. Another point that I keep on mentionig all we need is a fifth starter who can give us double digets and a bench that can contribute offensively and bingo we're there again. We're in better shape then we thought we were. One other point when you look at UConns boxscore most of the time we have 4 players who score double digets.
It's not just about having a 5th starter score double digits, it's about greater efficiency in shooting. At 6'5, Liv is shooting 42% (29/69) with most of her shots coming in and around the paint. Crystal is shooting 41.4% (24/58), a senior who is expected to be more efficient and have a better shot selection. Christyn is shooting 31.8% (7/22) from 3pt land, last year just about 37%. And, of course, Anna is shooting 25% (7/28) overall and 19% (4/21) from 3pt land. I did the math and just one more 2 pointer and one more 3 pointer a game would give us 5 more points a game and raise our average to 80.0 points a game, that would make put us where Geno has expressed he'd like to be. So, I'm sure Anna will break her funk and the other girls will become more efficient, but until then it's not just about points from the 5th starter. We need just a little more efficiency from everyone, especially since we haven't really faced higher ranked teams with higher level talent. The bright side, we have a really good balance in our scoring on all 3 levels, and that's what it's going to take to advance deep into the tournament. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Is/Was Indiana a lesser opponent?

Reaction Score
Indeed, but given the hype by ESPN after their win against Maryland, this particular top 5 loss stands out to me. It was discussed at length in the thread about the SC/MD game, but SC does not have a perimeter game to speak of so a lot of their high scoring offense comes from having a height advantage against teams that aren't particularly good to begin with. So, I used this thread to make the case that they are to some degree not the team they're being hyped to be, and that by comparison UCONN will have a fighting chance against the likes of Oregon, Baylor and Stanford because we have players that can be efficient both driving and shooting the ball. Go Huskies!
I’d say just Oregon and Baylor at this point. Stanford is barely winning games against teams like Cal Baptist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom