2nd Favorite Squad Besides UConn? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2nd Favorite Squad Besides UConn?

Reaction Score
I live in Cincy and wife's whole family went to Xavier. That home game recently...I never heard the end of it. Never been to Gampel but I can tell you Cintas gets loud loud. Ringing in ears from that UConn game.
Hopefully we’ll return the favor when Xavier comes to CT, and you’ll be able return the favor to your family for not letting you hear the end of it

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I have a few definite least favorites but my secondary teams are U. Buffalo (hometown/alum) St. Bonnies (nearby).

I've always had an affinity for Arizona teams though I never really "root" for them. I just usually like their players and teams and their uniforms are great. Almost every era from Stoudamire/Reeves to Simon/Bibby then early 2000s loaded rosters and now recently with Miller and Lloyd. Love Larsson, Kriisa, Mathurin.

I've also always liked Villanova teams, for the most part. Hated Nardi and a few of those guys but Kittles, Tim Thomas, Brunson, Jay Wright...I just always loved their guard heavy style.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Alabama, Ive always liked Nate Oats and really liked his hire for Bama. They are fun team to watch. Really like watching Miller as a player this year so its an added bonus.

Forgot Oats - I'll always root for that guy because of his story, his coaching and how he put UB in the national spotlight. I love Oats, I'll root for his teams wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
IU media did a nice write up on that. I think KU and UConn have similar offensive problems. Motion and movement based, not a lot of guys who can create their own shot.

“Kansas guards ball screens at the level of the screen. This means that the screener’s defender is usually adjacent to the screener. Playing at the level gives the ball handler less room to attack without committing to a full hedge. The Jayhawks rely on off-ball defenders to help when the screener rolls and then recover to their initial man.”

The difference is they have one of the best pure pgs in the nation.

Reaction Score
Only care about UConn. Then any school from CT. Then New England. Thats where it stops. I dislike all teams that are not UConn.

Reaction Score
Rutgers.
Rationale?
1. Great to see how Steve Pikiell took a perennial bottom feeder and steadily made it better.
2. Team plays with intensity.
3. Staff makes good in-game adjustments.
3. Wins on the road at Purdue (only loss) and Northwestern.
4. Great pickup in Spencer.
5. Team in 3rd place in B1G.

Reaction Score
Kansas State - some New York players I've been following and they play pretty nicely on offense

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe FAU?

I saw in some polls they are ranked in the top 25 and a lot of the credit is going to a certain PG UConn xfer
But UConn nailed it in the last xfer portal for PGs:rolleyes:Head bang

Reaction Score
Fairfield U - probably because I can walk over in less than ten minutes and attend a game with no advance planning.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
SUNJ and Seton Hall. I don't really care if they win or lose, but I tune in if I see them on tv.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas State - some New York players I've been following and they play pretty nicely on offense
Their court is hideous.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
UConn first and foremost. Then the schools I attended - Boston U (engineering), Vanderbilt (medicine), and UPenn (residency). Also Fairfield (wife and 1 daughter went there). After that it’s Syracuse (I know, I know). If you knew the reason you’d understand.

As for others, I do like a few strong mid-majors like St. Joe’s (the Hawk never dies), Richmond (Spiders, great mascot), Belmont (Nashville) and Murray State( the Racers)

Reaction Score
I don't have another favorite team....but I follow some of the players on other teams.

Reaction Score
Xavier. Whatever cliche you may have heard, offense wins over defense. Xavier’s offense is a clinic in efficiency, and that team has a prototype for the modern game at every position.

My biggest issue with the team is that Miller is a colossal scumbag, but so are a lot of coaches and it doesn’t matter in a NIL world. That team can score.
Yeah many people think he is a scumbag and I won't argue the point either way. But one thing is undeniable-the guy can coach. Xavier is rising and will be at the top level for a while with Sean Miller. Travis Steele was never going to be able to do that for Xavier in a million years.

Reaction Score
I’ve always liked Jayhawks from afar. They’ve always been successful, but rarely in direct competition with us.

The turnaround job at Baylor is something. Scott Drew deserves snaps, and I like that he’s from a basketball family like the Hurleys, although I love JC even more because there was zero nepotism for him to rise up the ranks, which is rare.

I have some ties to Ohio, so I like Xavier for BE. Musselman catches my attention so the Hogs lately. Sometimes watch Yale when I’m back home.
Arizona a little bit, and even MSU a bit despite ‘09. Davidson knowing those poor kids hit the boards and books. Now Iona’s nearby…

Frankly though, it’s just UConn and a handful of teams that I love to hate — Dook, BC, Cuse. I miss hating on Pitt, Mick Cronin, WVU, and a few others.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Dayton - my old neighbor went there and was a die hard fan. We watched a lot of college hoops together and I became a fan by default.

Reaction Score
Like OP, I also have had a soft spot for Gonzaga.

Wisconsin is another program I find myself rooting for. The 2015 Final Four, they almost became legends in taking down undefeated Kentucky and (almost) Duke.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn first and foremost. Then the schools I attended - Boston U (engineering), Vanderbilt (medicine), and UPenn (residency). Also Fairfield (wife and 1 daughter went there). After that it’s Syracuse (I know, I know). If you knew the reason you’d understand.

As for others, I do like a few strong mid-majors like St. Joe’s (the Hawk never dies), Richmond (Spiders, great mascot), Belmont (Nashville) and Murray State( the Racers)
That’s a hell of a resume Doc. Also, engineering to med school? Not sure I’ve seen that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Also, engineering to med school? Not sure I’ve seen that.
It gives him a huge advantage in hip replacement surgery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom