28k tickets for Maine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

28k tickets for Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whether all the UConn fans present at the Maine game actually paid full value for their tickets is not the important part. The important part is that the Rent is mostly full and the atmosphere feels like big time football. It should be a huge emotional bump for the team and hopefully that translates into an exciting on the field performance. Perhaps some of the Maine freebies have such a great time they come back for more UConn football games and pay for them next time. ...that is kinda how you increase a fan base.

Sure it would be great to charge full value and sell out but a glass half full is still better than a stadium mostly empty....right now is more important to generate excitement around UConn football and project an image that Connecticut cares about UConn football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMO, @whaler11 has a valid point, why celebrate a number that isn't really close to accurate?

I'm happy that compared to recent years the trend is in the right direction, they haven't changed the way they report the number, but we're getting more tickets out there. That's a positive. But the 28k number is bogus. They gave away a ton of tickets. He doesn't want to celebrate "selling" 28k tickets, when we didn't sell 28k tickets. He doesn't care if it happens elsewhere. He wants more people in the seats. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

That said, unless the policy changes (probably won't), it's more productive to focus on the trend (whether good or bad) over the fact the number isn't accurate. More tickets out there should mean more people in the seats. If the announced is higher than last year, that's excellent. If the season starts solid, we may be turning the corner back to over 30k consistently.
Well, we don't know that it isn't going to be accurate yet, but let's say that it isn't. Can we at least take a moment to be pleased that UConn is actively managing its message and more importantly is actively working to fill the stadium? I'd much rather have free tickets given away so that we play in front of bigger crowds than leaving them empty.

I agree with your third paragraph. If we get off to a good start we may starting heading back the numbers when FUCHRE was here. I have a good feeling about this season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The same people, likely reporting the same way, and likely giving away a similar number of tickets (minus the freshman class) yielded a much lower number last year. Even if you only count 4000 of an 8000 bump (due to every freshman possibly getting a ticket), it's still significant.

If they get 28k in the seats that will be awesome - but they gave away a lot more free tickets this year. There were thousands of former season ticket holders who got free tix. The tickets at PC Richard's are distributed even if no one takes them. Throw in the freshman and the usual give aways to season ticket holders for the FCS game and it's a big number.

The number that would show buzz is an increase in y/y season ticket sales but that hasn't been published.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whether all the UConn fans present at the Maine game actually paid full value for their tickets is not the important part. The important part is that the Rent is mostly full and the atmosphere feels like big time football. It should be a huge emotional bump for the team and hopefully that translates into an exciting on the field performance. Perhaps some of the Maine freebies have such a great time they come back for more UConn football games and pay for them next time. ...that is kinda how you increase a fan base.

Sure it would be great to charge full value and sell out but a glass half full is still better than a stadium mostly empty....right now is more important to generate excitement around UConn football and project an image that Connecticut cares about UConn football.

If they show up it will be great.

It doesn't come without a long term costs when you set the market for your product at zero.

Reaction Score
I think the actual number of people that want to attend a UConn football game but are unable to do so because they cannot afford tickets is extremely small. Therefore, whther there was a high number of tickets given away for free or at a deep discount is secondary. It is all about getting people to show up now and hoping they will want to come back. Also, keep in mind that people showing up with free tickets will likely spend on average $10-15 between parking, apparel, food, drinks, etc., of which UConn gets a cut.

Reaction Score
The same people, likely reporting the same way, and likely giving away a similar number of tickets (minus the freshman class) yielded a much lower number last year. Even if you only count 4000 of an 8000 bump (due to every freshman possibly getting a ticket), it's still significant.
Like I said, the trend is positive. But I agree with whaler that giving away a ton of tickets with the hope of getting to 70% capacity isn't something to cheer. There's a dark cloud, but also a silver lining.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The number that would show buzz is an increase in y/y season ticket sales but that hasn't been published.
Im not expecting to see this #uptick until we have a successful season this year.

Reaction Score
Ran into neighbor's daughter yesterday. She was a senior in the Marching Band at the Fiesta Bowl. She asked if I was going to the game knowing full well that I'm a season ticket holder. Her parents were also from the last 2 years at Memorial Stadium through her graduation. I affirmed that I'll be in my seat in 103. Her reply was that she couldn't make up her mind & would probably just watch the game on SNY. Kids!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Can't we celebrate anything without negativity coming-in? Look upon the free tickets as a down payment on future attendance. We're all trying to push this program forward and should be looking upon any gains as a positive sign.
No . Because it is false.
Paul Doyle in his article reports 28K sold. That has gotta be libel. They offered free tix to season holders and this PC Richard thing...
28K bought and given away gratis, not just bought.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
In the past, everyone was complaining that there's no incentive for a family to buy tix to a game in a half full stadium for $35 a pop. We said that in the last week or so tix should be discounted or even just given away. Now we start giving tix away and people find other ways to complain.

Reaction Score
Who cares how the people get into the stadium - free ticket, season ticket. Let's just get people in. Have a good time and they'll be back. I see 0 reason to complain about this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No . Because it is false.
Paul Doyle in his article reports 28K sold. That has gotta be libel. They offered free tix to season holders and this PC Richard thing...
28K bought and given away gratis, not just bought.
so...many...things....wrong...in...this...post.....

Reaction Score
Look upon the free tickets as a down payment on future attendance.
This, but it doesn't matter to some, they'll betch about anything. They would rather have an empty stadium so they can have new fodder for their rants and puff their chests out about how much smarter they are than everyone else. The school had to take drastic measures to entice people to come back and to bring in new people; newsflash, our attendance has been trending downward! I have no issues with it, if it continues and becomes a the norm it's a real problem. Anyone complaining is just looking for something to complain about because that's who they are.

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining is just looking for something to complain about because that's who they are.

Does this apply to people complaining about what other people post just because it doesn't make them happy? The 28k number doesn't make him happy, so he "complains". His opinion of the 28k number doesn't make you happy, so you complain. What's the difference?

How does one person refusing to be celebrate a number that is easily shown to be highly suspect ruin the day for so many people?

If you can't enjoy the number without having affirmation from every single poster, then who is really miserable here?

24 more hours till my tailgate kicks off and it can't come soon enough. I can't wait to argue about punt returns, missed blocks, Diaco's clock management, and students leaving in the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
If they gave tickets to homeless people standing at stop lights to give away, I'd be happy. It's called taking action, something the marketing department rarely did.

Who cares what number is thrown about. Just enjoy the game and stop d.icking up the board.

Reaction Score
Who cares what number is thrown about. Just enjoy the game and stop d.icking up the board.

I think that everyone who clicked on the thread cares what number is thrown about. If people didn't care about the number, why would they 1) click on the thread, and 2) care what whaler thinks about it? And I'm not sure how this thread, or any thread/poster, would keep anyone from enjoying the game.

The constant complaining about one poster who provides an alternative view does just as much to d.ick up the board. It seems as most of the replies are about whaler, not about what he's actually saying. All the complaining about his opinions certainly isn't making this place any more enjoyable.

Reaction Score
Call him whaler11, dammit. I have the Whalers flag from the Hockey HoF.

He's a cool dude. Said it before.

Reaction Score
I have no problem giving away free tickets -- especially against an FCS opponent. The most convincing argument for people buying tickets is actually attending a game and realizing how much fun it is. For many, just having the free ticket is enough motivation to try something new. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
30k would be fantastic, I still believe Virginia and Syracuse must be sellouts

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wasn't even going to post in this thread until Art brought me into it.

Half his posts are about d!cking up the board - he is the one that created this thread with his lame passive aggressive shot at me. Sorry this isn't Pop Warner and I'm not going to treat the program as if it is.

Printing tickets and giving them away in bulk has a negative impact in the long term. That some people don't get that or care is fine - but don't give me grief because you can't see two steps down the road.

Reaction Score
IMO, @whaler11 has a valid point, why celebrate a number that isn't really close to accurate?

I'm happy that compared to recent years the trend is in the right direction, they haven't changed the way they report the number, but we're getting more tickets out there. That's a positive. But the 28k number is bogus. They gave away a ton of tickets. He doesn't want to celebrate "selling" 28k tickets, when we didn't sell 28k tickets. He doesn't care if it happens elsewhere. He wants more people in the seats. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

That said, unless the policy changes (probably won't), it's more productive to focus on the trend (whether good or bad) over the fact the number isn't accurate. More tickets out there should mean more people in the seats. If the announced is higher than last year, that's excellent. If the season starts solid, we may be turning the corner back to over 30k consistently.

Why? Because practically no one else counts seats either. We've been treated to several years of 2,000 UConn fans showed up at the Fiesta Bowl, so why not do what most everyone else does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom