28k tickets for Maine | The Boneyard

28k tickets for Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably throw in another 2k or so with walk ups to get us to 30k?
That would be a great number for us that even some UConn fans thought would never happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
30k for opening night would be a solid start. It then needs to push 35k for UVA and Syracuse. That would be an absolute sign that we can get back to our pre Sunshine Boys attendance levels even in this crappy conference if we just go back to winning years.

Reaction Score
Probably throw in another 2k or so with walk ups to get us to 30k?

You have to assume that a bunch of tickets are sold but won't be used. But I'll guess that we'll have 27k or so walking through the gates.

Reaction Score
Let's hope we get over 30k. Hopefully, the team will show up and win big. We really really can use a hot start in football with b12 expansion hanging over our heads. If we win our first 4 or 5 games, it will do wonders for our public perception.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Context - 20k for Nova at same time last year

This is a good sign.

And the final reported attendance per Wiki was 26,113. Not sure exactly where the number was last year as Des said "a little over 20k", but have to figure at least 2 or 3 k were sold at the gate. I'm very optimistic that we'll hit 30k official attendance which would be amazing given looming realignment

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Also, can someone hit up Mike Melio and have him buy like 10,000 tickets? :rolleyes:
Yeah and find 10K people who want to come out Thursday night too and cheer on our Sons of the Nutmeg State to victory!!

Reaction Score
Last year's Nova game was a warm & very humid night. Should be better tomorrow (clear & temps probably in the 70s or 60s by kickoff). If that 28k number is accurate I'd bet we break 30k.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope. Only 18,000 will show up. Good source.

Now this passive-aggressive clown will accuse me of ruining threads - but really who is it?

They printed and distributed probably 10k free tickets. If that gets you all hot and bothered that's exciting. Why don't you wait and see who actually shows up - because the true number never has anything to with distributed.

They could print the last 10k stick them in garbage bags send them to the landfill and publish a sellout.

Now that would really be something to crow about!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Benedict adopts attendance rules from other places he's been (i.e. tickets = attendance), then I'm sure there will be a change.

They have been announcing distributed tickets for at least two years.

Reaction Score
Now this passive-aggressive clown will accuse me of ruining threads - but really who is it?

They printed and distributed probably 10k free tickets. If that gets you all hot and bothered that's exciting. Why don't you wait and see who actually shows up - because the true number never has anything to with distributed.

They could print the last 10k stick them in garbage bags send them to the landfill and publish a sellout.

You must be fun at parties.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be there, loud, excited, and pumped to blow out Maine. I might spend 45 seconds of my time in the stadium worried about how many other people are there too. I'm just glad football is back and we have a reason to be optimistic again.

That said, we didn't really sell 28k. Lots of giveways, plus $5 tickets. But I don't care. If we can get close to 28k to show up, that's a win. If we go into Saracuse undefeated, I think we could have our first sell out since Michigan.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

they almost certainly did last year, too. Look at it this way - the ticketing contract is paying dividends, even if they're better at handing out freebies :)

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly where the number was last year as Des said "a little over 20k", but have to figure at least 2 or 3 k were sold at the gate.
Speaking of Des, was his situation ever discussed here? Yes, I am a newby, but I know how to use a Search function. And I didn't find anything. What is the consensus on his change of assignment? Seems like he is filing from Siberia these days. I liked him writing UConn football and feel bad about what happened.

I do not mean to hijack this thread, so maybe someone could PM me offline?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You must be fun at parties.

Because I don't brag about tickets distributed when a third of them were handed out for free?

Not sure what that has to do with being fun at parties - sorry my standards for success are higher than paper the house with free tickets and publish a bogus number.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
779819a722503fa162e053b51364e812b92422c6.jpg

Reaction Score
IMO, @whaler11 has a valid point, why celebrate a number that isn't really close to accurate?

I'm happy that compared to recent years the trend is in the right direction, they haven't changed the way they report the number, but we're getting more tickets out there. That's a positive. But the 28k number is bogus. They gave away a ton of tickets. He doesn't want to celebrate "selling" 28k tickets, when we didn't sell 28k tickets. He doesn't care if it happens elsewhere. He wants more people in the seats. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

That said, unless the policy changes (probably won't), it's more productive to focus on the trend (whether good or bad) over the fact the number isn't accurate. More tickets out there should mean more people in the seats. If the announced is higher than last year, that's excellent. If the season starts solid, we may be turning the corner back to over 30k consistently.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
IMO, @whaler11 has a valid point, why celebrate a number that isn't really close to accurate?

I'm happy that compared to recent years the trend is in the right direction, they haven't changed the way they report the number, but we're getting more tickets out there. That's a positive. But the 28k number is bogus. They gave away a ton of tickets. He doesn't want to celebrate "selling" 28k tickets, when we didn't sell 28k tickets. He doesn't care if it happens elsewhere. He wants more people in the seats. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

That said, unless the policy changes (probably won't), it's more productive to focus on the trend (whether good or bad) over the fact the number isn't accurate. More tickets out there should mean more people in the seats. If the announced is higher than last year, that's excellent. If the season starts solid, we may be turning the corner back to over 30k consistently.

The same people, likely reporting the same way, and likely giving away a similar number of tickets (minus the freshman class) yielded a much lower number last year. Even if you only count 4000 of an 8000 bump (due to every freshman possibly getting a ticket), it's still significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom