2024 CT Ice Tournament -> Jan. 26-27 @XL Center (Championship Gm: UConn v. #7 Quinnipiac > Saturday @7p on SNY & UConn+) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2024 CT Ice Tournament -> Jan. 26-27 @XL Center (Championship Gm: UConn v. #7 Quinnipiac > Saturday @7p on SNY & UConn+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Tired from playing 3 games in over 2 months?
What do you know that the rest of us don’t know? We have 2 good goalies. One of them played tonight.

Reaction Score
Wood costed them on the 3rd Quinnipiac goal. Tangled up with Treloar along the boards. Wood skates away. Leaves Treloar alone backside for a gimme

Spetz doesn’t do anything about the man in front of the net for the tip in

Haider ducking on the shot from beyond the circle for the 4th is wild

When Quinnipiac upped their game, UConn didn’t have the talent to match them

1-12 vs in state rival is embarrassing, it’s going to be over a decade between wins

The program is stuck in mud with Cav

Reaction Score
Cav’s seat has to be getting warm
I can’t see the AD fire Cavs with years left on his contract and UConn won’t want to pay him to leave early in s my thought. But the truth is Cavs is unable to push the right buttons to win the big game and it starts with his choice of Goaltender this time. Even with a shorty scored UConn couldn’t perservere.

Haider looked rusty - not sharp at all. Credit the coaching and scouting of QU’s staff to exploit the high glove side a few times tonight, including an abhorrent goal at the beginning of the third that was a gettable puck in full view. Just a bummer because the margin of error for UConn vs a program like QU is razor thin.

Reaction Score
9 times this season UConn has allowed a team to score 3 straight goals unanswered. 9!!!!

Thats 36% of their games this season. That’s insane

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
If a 21 year old is tired after playing one game a week and cannot play in back to back games then this program has serious issues
The question stands. So what do you know that we don’t know?

Reaction Score
Just can’t have nice things EVER.

It’s tough to be fans of the #IceBus, plain and simple. We’re a resilient bunch but it’s just hard sometimes. Especially the way things happen. The tease of it all to be up 3-1 including a shorty, but a program like QU knows how to win big games, especially after losing two Nattys. Yeah, they lost two games to inferior teams last weekend, but Peckmold and his staff are on another level now, and can close out big games with aplomb.

Reaction Score
The question stands. So what do you know that we don’t know?
Did cav really say that he started Haider because of how he played against them at his previous stop?
Anyone hear that on the TV?

Reaction Score
Did cav really say that he started Haider because of how he played against them at his previous stop?
But one can argue that with the confidence and noticeable improvement in hat Sergeev has played with of late that he also deserved a chance for redemption for last year and so he had a motivational factor there too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well last season Haider gave up 5 to them in a 6-3 loss (1 was eng) and lost 3-0 in the other so if Cav said that that’s all you need to know about Cav

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Official Attendance was over 6400 but it felt like a lot more with the main curtains down. The environment was supercharged and electric - some kid in our section even got the wave going. I get why UConn presented this as a home game rather than more neutral with the rotation to SHU and Yale up in the next two years. The XL proved to be a great candidate as a permanent home for the tournament- especially given the final game, but I would have appreciated some attempt to make the CT Ice event more important than UConn centric if they were to be a serious showcase for making their case to do that.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac is clearly the more skilled team. Our kids gave it all out there but made some terrible mistakes along the way that ultimately cost them the game, as you would expect when playing the defending champs.

I don't mean to harp on the goalie thing but the last time we saw Haider, he gave up four goals in the third at home to UNH.

The next day Sergeev plays his ass off on the road and we steal a big game. Then he wins Friday afternoon to get you to the QU game.
It's just amazing to me that you don't go with the hot hand. Everyone knows what a hot goalie can do to your chances to win on any given night - especially against a better team like QU.

We take a lead, the place is rocking and then we give up an absolutely inexcusable goal. Bad news bears quality stuff. With a QU power play soon to follow it's amazing we turn that into a 3-1 lead. Pecknold then goes all desperation and IMO does a bad job in reviewing goal 3. So now we are up 2 and QU has no TO/challenge left and you are on your home away from home ice.
You HAVE to win that game.
Once the second goal goes in - not Haiders fault- you can sense the momentum change.
When it was tied, it's like welp. How will we lose - a painful goal late? A thrashing?
Turns out neither. A quick goal in the first minute as our defenseman plays timid, lets the QU forward walk right in, help himself to the best liquor in our house and then just put the knife in upstairs.
Credit to the kids for the furious final minutes, QU held on for dear life.

Reaction Score
Well last season Haider gave up 5 to them in a 6-3 loss (1 was eng) and lost 3-0 in the other so if Cav said that that’s all you need to know about Cav
It was a Joe D comment to Brochu about Haider being ?3-4-3 against QU btw Clarkson/UConn (not particularly sure if it was attributable to Coach as the reason for the start or research material).

Reaction Score
It was a Joe D comment to Brochu about Haider being ?3-4-3 against QU btw Clarkson/UConn) (not particularly sure if it was attributable to Coach as the reason for the start or research material).
Sergeev played well last season at Quinnipiac and held his own in that game. Give him a shot on home ice

Reaction Score
Cav is right, if this is going to be anything resembling the Beanpot someday, it has to be at the XL. I just don't think the three privates care enough about the tourney maxing out its value to bother with that.

Reaction Score
Wood costed them on the 3rd Quinnipiac goal. Tangled up with Treloar along the boards. Wood skates away. Leaves Treloar alone backside for a gimme

1-12 vs in state rival is embarrassing, it’s going to be over a decade between wins

Agree 100%! I was lucky enough to be in the first row and this play was right in front of me. When Wood skated away and Treloar scored the goal, I said to my son, "Wood should have stapled him to the boards."

When I saw that Haider was starting I said, "Shocked they're not going with Sergeev tonight."

After a subpar 1st period, QU stepped it up a notch, and UConn could not match their talent.

Waiting for this program to break out and take the next step. Not sure that's going to happen with Cav.

Reaction Score
Cav about choosing Haider: “He’s had a great track record against them” and “he wasn’t the issue”

Cav must have missed him giving up 5 and 3 last season against them

Cav must have not see Haider handling the puck behind the net and the 4th goal

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Not really a rival. Cav needs to look at himself in the mirror, not sure he can get us over the hump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom