2024 CT Ice Tournament -> Jan. 26-27 @XL Center (Championship Gm: UConn v. #7 Quinnipiac > Saturday @7p on SNY & UConn+) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2024 CT Ice Tournament -> Jan. 26-27 @XL Center (Championship Gm: UConn v. #7 Quinnipiac > Saturday @7p on SNY & UConn+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Sounds like there Was a nice crowd and it was an entertaining game. Nice to see Connecticut’s four hockey teams putting on a good show. Congratulations to Quinnipiac on winning the Championship. Hopefully next year’s tournament is even bigger.

Gee gosh golly! Boy I’m sure glad everyone had a great time!

zls44

Reaction Score
Ethan Haider gave up 8 goals to QU last year and was 10000% the problem on two tonight.

If he wasn’t the problem, I’m terrified to think of what he thinks the problem was.

Btw congrats to Cav on going a decade without beating QU.

Reaction Score
Cav about choosing Haider: “He’s had a great track record against them” and “he wasn’t the issue”

Cav must have missed him giving up 5 and 3 last season against them

Cav must have not see Haider handling the puck behind the net and the 4th goal

So he did start him because of a "supposed" great track record against them..
Just a mind-numbing decision. It's like he's not aware rosters change quite a bit from year to year. Throw out past years performances and just start the guy who is on a roll. It's not that difficult.

zls44

Reaction Score
Just a mind-numbing decision. It's like he's not aware rosters change quite a bit from year to year. Throw out past years performances and just start the guy who is on a roll. It's not that difficult.

The past year performances weren’t even good!

Reaction Score
It was apparent that QU and their familiarity with Haider was an advantage to them, and not the other way around.

Segeev’s unorthodox style is an X-factor. Sometimes it’s wild and he wastes too much energy dancing around in the crease, but when he’s plays a bit like a Dominik Hasek like spaghetti-man and he’s on his game, he’s much harder for a talented team like QU to solve. Much like with last season and Terness, Sergeev has earned the top spot vs the style of a very textbook, traditional type of goaltender.

If Cavs was intent on rotating his goalies, Haider should have gotten the start vs SHU, but I can imagine the heavy criticism if UConn lost that game.

Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was great. It shows this tournament has potential. I agree it is too bad they did so much “your UUUUCONN Huskies” stuff. I’d prefer they play it straight and make it a neutral game.

I didn’t understand Haider last night. And that first goal was just awful. Good to see Wood finally score though the other guy did all the work. I’m still waiting to see what we were expecting from Wood. You See bits of talent, but he doesn’t put it together very well.

The 8-9-10 line continues to play really well together. Hard nosed hockey players and as a group I thought they were the only ones who have the speed to compete with QU and Maine. Each other line has a guy who is just slow.

Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was great. It shows this tournament has potential. I agree it is too bad they did so much “your UUUUCONN Huskies” stuff. I’d prefer they play it straight and make it a neutral game.
IMG_0205.png

Reaction Score

I didn’t understand Haider last night. And that first goal was just awful. Good to see Wood finally score though the other guy did all the work. I’m still waiting to see what we were expecting from Wood. You See bits of talent, but he doesn’t put it together very well.

The 8-9-10 line continues to play really well together. Hard nosed hockey players and as a group I thought they were the only ones who have the speed to compete with QU and Maine. Each other line has a guy who is just slow.
Not a hockey guru but Muldowney can play. I agree, from the novice hockey eye, that line makes plays.

Reaction Score
Not a hockey guru but Muldowney can play. I agree, from the novice hockey eye, that line makes plays.
Joey is going to be a good one. He has speed, skill, a good shot and excellent vision of the ice. One of the positives on the team this year, and will definitely be playing in the top two lines next year.

I wonder if Wood will be with the team next season though. His body language seems to suggest he’s not going to continue playing here, and could mean a move in the transfer portal rather than a jump to the pros. Good kid, but he needs to find a skating coach that boosts his raw speed by 25% to even sniff the AHL level. Also needs to build that wiry frame. Yes he did have a goal vs QU thanks to his good hands and incredible reach, but for most of the game he looked like a deer in headlights and QU players swarmed around leaving him out of position or unable to make plays.

Reaction Score
Joey is going to be a good one. He has speed, skill, a good shot and excellent vision of the ice. One of the positives on the team this year, and will definitely be playing in the top two lines next year.

I wonder if Wood will be with the team next season though. His body language seems to suggest he’s not going to continue playing here, and could mean a move in the transfer portal rather than a jump to the pros. Good kid, but he needs to find a skating coach that boosts his raw speed by 25% to even sniff the AHL level. Also needs to build that wiry frame. Yes he did have a goal vs QU thanks to his good hands and incredible reach, but for most of the game he looked like a deer in headlights and QU players swarmed around leaving him out of position or unable to make plays.
I can’t speak on the hockey deficiencies per se, but yes the overall lack of speed is certainly noticeable. I’d say the upside and skills he does have are impressive. I can see the transfer portal option, but I’m not convinced that is Wood’s motivation. He’s taken some criticism, but like someone pointed out on this site before, had it not been for being a 1st rd pick, Wood would be a talented player with strengths/weaknesses to improve upon. I believe that’s all true. I don’t think the criticism will drive him to the portal. He signed with Uconn and the staff for a reason, unless that part of the situation has changed, and if he plays college hockey, I’d bet it’s at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Just curious, how many of you were actually in attendance?? Being able to simply watch the games is often difficult, let alone being there in person watching! I hope that’s honest enough for you. Do you have good seats?

Reaction Score
I know he doesn’t score a lot but Heaslip’s speed is a great fit next to Wood IMO. I’ve been wondering for weeks why they don’t put those two together and last nights goal is a good example of how it could work. Wood should be the trailer in position to score instead of trying to lead a rush down the ice.

As far as Haider goes - he wasn’t good last night but neither was our defense. Unless Cav is gonna fix the defense, we need Sergeev’s upside to give us a chance - but considering how conservative Cav is, I’m assuming he really wants for Haider to be the answer since he’s steadier in theory.

Reaction Score
The only Caveat (pun intended) to that is that he was also recruiter by Joe Pereira too who along with Cavs met him and his in British Columbia in person where other staffs used Zoom instead. Pure speculation but it wouldn’t surprise me if Wood found a way to BU either.

Certainly if he transfers I do hope it would be out of the conference, but he really hasn’t developed in the 1.5+ seasons, and maybe even regressed a bit.
Why did Pereira go to BU? I’m simply assuming, money? I’ve read his recruiting prowess many times on here and how important of a loss he was to the staff…was there any way to have kept him? I really have no idea, but I know I see his name mentioned a lot that’s why I ask.

Reaction Score
Why did Pereira go to BU? I’m simply assuming, money? I’ve read his recruiting prowess many times on here and how important of a loss he was to the staff…was there any way to have kept him? I really have no idea, but I know I see his name mentioned a lot that’s why I ask.
Former BU captain, won a national championship there, BU is a top program, and BU can get the high end recruits UConn cannot

I like the Tattle, Fraser, Muldowney line. It’s just that Tattle needs to bury some of his chances more often. He’s not really a scorer. Muldowney will eventually figure it out. He has a chance to become a solid player

Reaction Score
Joe Pereira went to BU in part because it is his alma mater like what was said.

Reaction Score
Not really a rival. Cav needs to look at himself in the mirror, not sure he can get us over the hump.
Trouble is Cavanaugh is not looking in any mirror. With a top end D1 HC contract and marginal performance, he's keeping his head down...

Reaction Score
Joe Pereira went to BU in part because it is his alma mater like what was said.
Right but it was a lateral move also. I believe Cav had to fight to get the raise he did, and due to that fact there was no budging possibly on assistant coach raises? I'm speculating on that second part but wouldn't be shocked at all if money was a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom