2023 Fall Camp | Page 17 | The Boneyard

2023 Fall Camp

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
so so close to the season, I'm excited I expect us to start of well Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Despite last season's success.. the computer ratings generally still had the Huskies pretty low on their rankings, with the majority of the wins coming against teams rated in that sub-90 range. Many of the beginning of the year ratings are last year's rating with an adjustment for returning players. Given that it's not a surprise that the computer ratings still don't have a glowing opinion.

I do wonder to what extent the computer ratings consider talent transfers in-bound (although that would probably get even more subjective than considering talent departures).

Reaction Score
What hurt UConn's computer rankings last year were the game 3 through 5 losses:

Syracuse 48-14
@Michigan 59-0
@NC State 41-10

Reaction Score
NC ST will have a new QB this year
They have talent on D, some holes to fill on offense. But if they're buying bad press on us or living in the past I think we make them pay. My way too early prediction is we win by more than 7 points. Only key injuries would change that prediction.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the year computer ranking are largle based on human guesses.
Well thats just not true. A data model is derived from datasets and patterns in said data. The differences in models is what data they use and how they interpret it, meaning if lets say model A heavily weights projected wins on shoelace brand and model B on last 5 seasons win rate, you will likely get very different outputs.

Or even 10 year historical data versus 5 years historical data will show major differences

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well thats just not true. A data model is derived from datasets and patterns in said data. The differences in models is what data they use and how they interpret it, meaning if lets say model A heavily weights projected wins on shoelace brand and model B on last 5 seasons win rate, you will likely get very different outputs.

Or even 10 year historical data versus 5 years historical data will show major differences

So, they have to make assumptions or guesses on how much to weight different factors?

Reaction Score
Why make an announcement, is there a rule that there needs to be one on a week before the season?

Reaction Score
So, they have to make assumptions or guesses on how much to weight different factors?
Not even. With proper tools, you can create processes that figure out what data points are relevant or insignificant. Its not at all about football, its just data. The more the better.

Plus wait until this leads to ChatGPT applications that crunch the numbers and help people bet their money more effectively.

Reaction Score
Of all the things GPT can do... analytics and math is DEFINITELY not up there
1692593260779.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc