2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Reaction Score
Putting Kitts on a UConn guard is a big recipe for disaster. IMO she doesn't have the reaction speed to defend the backdoor cut from the wing. I agree that Watkins would be the better option to defend Edwards but we gotta pick our poison and I would rather spend efforts forcing Paige into taking difficult shots. Edwards is also a good shooter so more than likely Geno will position her around the perimeter to pull her defender away from the basket and prevent Watkins' ability to block shots on the help side. Watkins is our best defender and is the only big that can reliably guard 1-5 -- Dawn even said it in a recent interview. Since Bueckers is occupying the role of point forward in a four guard lineup, Watkins is probably the best candidate with Hall as a close second.
I’d imagine Paige would predominantly play point against South Carolina, like she did against Marquette and Creighton. People get far too caught up Paige defending power forwards but she’s playing PG far more than she did earlier in the season. She splits it with KK with Nika occasionally running point when necessary. I’d imagine Watkins would guard Nika. Hall would seem like a better match up for Paige while allowing Johnson to guard KK.

If Cardosa’s not playing I’d imagine Aaliyah and Shade would be go to offensive options with the most favorable match ups in that case.

Regardless UConn won’t be able to defend the size on the other end of the court, so it doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
Putting Kitts on a UConn guard is a big recipe for disaster. IMO she doesn't have the reaction speed to defend the backdoor cut from the wing. I agree that Watkins would be the better option to defend Edwards but we gotta pick our poison and I would rather spend efforts forcing Paige into taking difficult shots. Edwards is also a good shooter so more than likely Geno will position her around the perimeter to pull her defender away from the basket and prevent Watkins' ability to block shots on the help side. Watkins is our best defender and is the only big that can reliably guard 1-5 -- Dawn even said it in a recent interview. Since Bueckers is occupying the role of point forward in a four guard lineup, Watkins is probably the best candidate with Hall as a close second.

IMO that’s the best option. Watkins is a very good and versatile defender but she’s not sticking with Paige. Hall on her and Watkins on Edwards will be key for SC. I even like Tessa coming in and defending Paige some. They played against each other in HS and I don’t think Tessa will back down from that matchup. I know Kitts isn’t the best defender but if she’s in the game she has to guard someone. Shade or Muhl are probably the best options or Dawn will probably use Jah a lot. It wouldn’t surprise me because she’s the perfect proponent in a situation like this. Ability to play big down low and a little on the perimeter both ways. We’ll see how it goes.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
IMO that’s the best option. Watkins is a very good and versatile defender but she’s not sticking with Paige. Hall on her and Watkins on Edwards will be key for SC. I even like Tessa coming in and defending Paige some. They played against each other in HS and I don’t think Tessa will back down from that matchup. I know Kitts isn’t the best defender but if she’s in the game she has to guard someone. Shade or Muhl are probably the best options or Dawn will probably use Jah a lot. It wouldn’t surprise me because she’s the perfect proponent in a situation like this. Ability to play big down low and a little on the perimeter both ways. We’ll see how it goes.
Aren't Tessa and Paige from the same hometown?

Reaction Score
As a Kentucky fan I thank you for embarrassing them tonight. I can't take any more of the Elzy Trainwreck so hopefully this is the final nail.

Reaction Score
One of these opposing coaches playing their starters til the dying moments is going to eventually get bit with a sprained ankle or worse. Nobody cares if you lose by 30 instead of 40 (or 60 instead of 70). Stop putting ego ahead of common sense, get your important players to the bench, and rest up for the next game. It's crazy. Every SEC opponent* has left them in way too long in a game long since lost.

*I missed the Miss State game. Maybe it doesn't apply there

Reaction Score
Jah’s problem is she gets lost on defense. She’s great one on one but if there’s a screen or a cut back she‘s done. If Geno is running 4 guards then Tessa will get a lot of PT. Watkins can guard on the perimeter some. The true thing about this team that sets us apart is the flexibility for matchups. If Kamilla is out that will limit it some but with Feagin playing the way she has it really helps a lot. It’s finally clicked for her.

Reaction Score
SC rolled big tonight, one of those epic performances that come around only so often, man they look complete. Defense is 100% elite, maybe best in nation. Offense can shoot now, best shooting % team in nation, from 2 and 3! They stroking now fellas!

Reaction Score
South Carolina is playing some solid basketball, and they are only going to get better. That is the scary part. Shooting 60% from deep? Holy smokes! Great win.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Absolute blitzkreig on Kentucky tonight. Poor Wildcats were the victim of a SC team that was wide awake after seeing the chaos from the past weekend.

Reaction Score
My god they were on fire tonight….is that what peak performance looks like in D1?

Reaction Score
My god they were on fire tonight….is that what peak performance looks like in D1?
I still think we could have gotten more out of Cardoso, and Hall had an off night. But yeah, lots of players were on fire!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina was like piranhas on a roast. A loaded team playing like that is gonna be pretty tough to beat.

Reaction Score
15,929 helps us stay ahead of Iowa in average home attendance. Hope our fans keep it up. The CC phenomenon is killing it for Iowa in road attendance at Big Ten venues.

Reaction Score
South Carolina was like piranhas on a roast. A loaded team playing like that is gonna be pretty tough to beat.
If South Carolina can stay focused and playing as one unit, they are going to be really tough to beat.

Reaction Score
We don't play again til the 21st? Arrrrgggghhh. I hate breaks.

Then it's om the road to College Station and Baton Rouge. Is A&M a trap game? They are long and lean.

Reaction Score
We don't play again til the 21st? Arrrrgggghhh. I hate breaks.

Then it's om the road to College Station and Baton Rouge. Is A&M a trap game? They are long and lean.
Never say never, but they’re not a very good shooting team. 42% on the season despite heavily featuring two 6’4” and 6’5” frontcourt players. But they are very tough defensively and will be difficult on the road.

Reaction Score
Never say never, but they’re not a very good shooting team. 42% on the season despite heavily featuring two 6’4” and 6’5” frontcourt players. But they are very tough defensively and will be difficult on the road.
Agree

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom