2022 UConn Football Commit - Zion Turner (Miami Florida) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Zion Turner (Miami Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WOW impressive highlights! Love his accuracy and ball placement on his throws. Of, course these are highlights, but so many of them! Since he completed 68% of his passes this season I believe this highlight reel is representative of what he can do. Add in his running capability and a second WOW!

Reaction Score
LETSSSSS GOOOOO

1642653823172.gif

Reaction Score

-> UConn, which offered Turner a few weeks after Mora was introduced as the program's next head coach, hosted Turner and his parents for an official visit this past weekend. That's when Turner knew that he wanted to play for Mora and offensive coordinator Nick Charlton. "It was a great visit," Turner said. "Coach Mora was just talking about all his experience and that really stood out to me. He's a real genuine coach and I look forward to making history with him at UConn."

Turner likes how Mora helped mold Brent Hundley into an NFL Draft pick at UCLA years ago and has called plays on Sundays. "That definitely played a role," Turner said. "He knows a lot of stuff that most college coaches don't. Him and my parents had some great conversations." <-

What a great young man he sounds like.

Reaction Score
If I remember right he dropped out after about 3 weeks of August practice.
Yup. He went to New Haven where he was a fairly ordinary player at D-2. He's a good exhibit that the correlation between stars and on-field college performance can be weak.

Nonetheless, this signing has me excited. Find a couple of good additions at OL and LB and I'll be, in the words of Alan Greenspan, "excessively exuberant." Unless we are going to play an LB-free defensive system I can't understand why we seem to have so much trouble recruiting a few.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it being too greedy to hope that Zion convinces one or more teammates from St. Thomas Aquinas to come north?

Anthony Hankerson is a solid RB at StA that would be a great addition. Would be a nice steal from Temple who seems to be recruiting him hard.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yup. He went to New Haven where he was a fairly ordinary player at D-2. He's a good exhibit that the correlation between stars and on-field college performance can be weak.

Nonetheless, this signing has me excited. Find a couple of good additions at OL and LB and I'll be, in the words of Alan Greenspan, "excessively exuberant." Unless we are going to play an LB-free defensive system I can't understand why we seem to have so much trouble recruiting a few.

He was a BC ratings bump pump and dump. Got the rating with an offer, and pfffffffffft from there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Turner became the first quarterback in St. Thomas Aquinas history to win three-straight state championships as the starting quarterback.

And his stat line for the night showed for it as well.

Turner went 10-of-13 passing for 102 yards and two touchdowns and also added 65 yards on the ground, 46 of that coming on a first down run that would set up his 21-yard touchdown pass to Isaiah Hardge to put the Raiders up 35-7 with 5:50 left in the third quarter.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Possibly the first Alan Greenspan quote in BY history.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Possibly the first Alan Greenspan quote in BY history.

Technically it was "irrational exuberance".

And reading and finding out that phraseology came to Greenspan while he was in a bath tub is weird on several levels and a visual I probably won't ever rid myself.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Technically it was "irrational exuberance".

And reading and finding out that phraseology came to Greenspan while he was in a bath tub is weird on several levels and a visual I probably won't ever rid myself.

What comes to you in the bath tub. Don’t answer.

Reaction Score
I read this about him:

"Huge pickup. Kid won 3 state titles as a QB in Miami / South Florida area. Great foot quickness and general speed but the best asset is his throwing accuracy. Especially on short and medium throws, he puts the ball in the receivers hands in stride. Still a little raw and needs to learn to protect himself and the ball a bit, but a proven winner. Slightly undersized but that’s not a big deal in college like the NFL. He will excel in the pocket but also turn broken plays into positive yards with his feet."

Reaction Score
I read this about him:

"Huge pickup. Kid won 3 state titles as a QB in Miami / South Florida area. Great foot quickness and general speed but the best asset is his throwing accuracy. Especially on short and medium throws, he puts the ball in the receivers hands in stride. Still a little raw and needs to learn to protect himself and the ball a bit, but a proven winner. Slightly undersized but that’s not a big deal in college like the NFL. He will excel in the pocket but also turn broken plays into positive yards with his feet."
When he decides to take off it happens really, really quickly. Would be nice if he doesn't have to do it too often but it's there for sure. It's hard to know if he jumps into the mix right away because the speed adjustment presents some risks to true freshmen QB's. Would prefer a year of practice but if he catches on quickly to the system the skills are there. Might need a little more strength to add zip on his passes but that should come. I remember Pindell at QB camps and it seemed to benefit him a bunch. He can totally make lemonade out of lemons on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom