2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official)

Reaction Score
It's not like he pulled him out from behind a cubicle at the Hartford or something. He's been cutting his teeth the right way in the business and I think he's qualified to have earned his shot. He just sat in on a monumental team turn around at CU. I am sure he learned some worthwhile things that he can bring to UConn from that experience.

Does have have a built in advantage in the business being Edsall's son? Absolutely, but so did Rex and Rob Ryan and Wade Phillips, among dozens of others who have gone on to prove themselves on their own merit, many working under their fathers at one point or another.
Yup...and I also know first hand that he got his internship with the Eagles because of his dad making some calls. I know this because my buddy's son was his roommate during that summer...and his uncle got him his spot. Being a GA and being a Asst on the road recruiting are 2 TOTALLY different ball games. If he had spent a year at a FCS school like Fordham I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this as I do right now. But that's my personal opinion. I hope the kid proves me wrong....and that RE doesn't cut him any slack.

Reaction Score
Being a GA and being a Asst on the road recruiting are 2 TOTALLY different ball games. If he had spent a year at a FCS school like Fordham I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this as I do right now. But that's my personal opinion. I hope the kid proves me wrong....and that RE doesn't cut him any slack.

Focus on actual, direct recruiting experience may not be an unreasonable concern. On the other hand, how many newby coaches experienced a life-long coaching internship, a decade-plus on BCS game-day and practice sidelines (UConn, Colorado 2, Maryland 3), etc.?

Without knowing anything about Edsall family interactions, casual observations strongly suggest Pops won't give Junior any more slack than his minimalist approach with other assistants.

Bottom line: For a longer coaching career to occur, Junior needs to prove himself. Go get 'em!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall hired his son? Happens everywhere in college fb. In CT, I expect some heads to explode over it
Oh it already happened. That was Kevin Rennie'a whole argument for how UConn has lost its way.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to talk to Mr. Steinberg on "Dress for Success" ... however, the article that is easily found on his importance in Maryland Terrapin recruiting and Edsall's confidence is a HUGE plus. We need Maryland and Virginia and DC recruits to be successful; and Western PA again; and NJ; and Terry Richardson in South FLA.

Bob Diaco might be able to help him out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FB coaching is a family business throughout the industry. Let's not make this a thing, OK?

And you forgot the Shananhans, the Shulas, and the Bowdens to name a few more.

Even Jeff Calhoun was given a walk on spot.

Reaction Score
Far more than the "Should we take up a collection and buy Mr. Steinberg a mirror?" post that considered and then rejected.

They clearly stole the wrong pic from the MD site...

1266887.jpeg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Would love to hear what other resumes The Boneyard has been reviewing that would be better suited to coach our tight ends.

Christ.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Edsall hired his son? Happens everywhere in college fb. In CT, I expect some heads to explode over it

My head isn't exploding, I'm just trying to make sense of how TE coach applies to the language in Edsall's contract:

"...you may not be a direct supervisor of your son... your son will report to an individual designated by the Athletic Director who does not report to you."

It seems that any position coach reports up to Edsall. If Edsall thinks Corey should coach TEs, I'm all for it, I just don't want anyone to cry foul about this down the line...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Would love to hear what other resumes The Boneyard has been reviewing that would be better suited to coach our tight ends.

Christ.

George DeLeone, but, ironically, he already has a better job at the moment.

Reaction Score
My head isn't exploding, I'm just trying to make sense of how TE coach applies to the language in Edsall's contract:

"...you may not be a direct supervisor of your son... your son will report to an individual designated by the Athletic Director, who does not report to you."

It seems that any position coach reports up to Edsall. If Edsall thinks Corey should coach TEs, I'm all for it, I just don't want anyone to cry foul about this down the line...

I'm going w/ a missing comma after Athletic Director (who does not report to Randy) ;)

MattMang23

Reaction Score

"...you may not be a direct supervisor of your son... your son will report to an individual designated by the Athletic Director who does not report to you."

I'm just wondering how they're going to explain that the OC is an "individual designated by the athletic department that does not report to" HCRE.

Reaction Score

Technically in the coaching tree...his direct supervisor is the OC. Like I said in a another post it may be semantics but technically Edsall is only the direct supervisor of the OC...then the OC is the direct supervisor of the offensive position coaches.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I'm just wondering how they're going to explain that the OC is an "individual designated by the athletic department that does not report to" HCRE.
His daily direction can come through the HC to the OC and to him as needed.

For performance review, for human resources type questions, he probably has another 'manager' that he reports to. That person will complete performance reviews, wage evaluations, etc. They will have a different hierarchy to the AD than the head football coach.

Corporations and consulting firms use the term matrix organization - your 'manager' boss is different that your 'project' boss.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
His daily direction can come through the HC to the OC and to him as needed.

For performance review, for human resources type questions, he probably has another 'manager' that he reports to. That person will complete performance reviews, wage evaluations, etc. They will have a different hierarchy to the AD than the head football coach.

Corporations and consulting firms use the term matrix organization - your 'manager' boss is different that your 'project' boss.

I am guessing you don't work for the state.

Reaction Score
I am guessing you don't work for the state.

Edsall has always been anal about details. I'm sure that what they are doing has been vetted. I don't need to understand how/why it works.

Again, in a perfect world I would be happier avoiding nepotism (as we do in my law firm) because it reduces the risk of certain problems. That having been said, there is nothing unusual here in the football coaching profession in terms of hiring your son, there is nothing unusual here about having one junior member of the staff with a G.A. background who is in their first year as an actual coach (heck, Wholly made that jump while at UConn the whole time I think) and this just isn't worth worrying about any more. So I don't intend to.

Reaction Score
Edsall has always been anal about details. I'm sure that what they are doing has been vetted. I don't need to understand how/why it works.

Again, in a perfect world I would be happier avoiding nepotism (as we do in my law firm) because it reduces the risk of certain problems. That having been said, there is nothing unusual here in the football coaching profession in terms of hiring your son, there is nothing unusual here about having one junior member of the staff with a G.A. background who is in their first year as an actual coach (heck, Wholly made that jump while at UConn the whole time I think) and this just isn't worth worrying about any more. So I don't intend to.
BL for the record..after he graduated Wholley was a Asst at Central (TE's) then came back to UConn as a GA (worked with the offense) for 2 years...then went to Fordham for a year (TE Coach) ....came back to UConn for the next 4 (Te coach 1st season..LB's next 3)...then back to Fordham (LB's/Asst DC) in 2014. As a Asst at Central and Fordham he did have some experience recruiting before he came to UConn. Again I hope OCrey succeeds here and proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
BL for the record..after he graduated Wholley was a Asst at Central (TE's) then came back to UConn as a GA (worked with the offense) for 2 years...then went to Fordham for a year (TE Coach) ....came back to UConn for the next 4 (Te coach 1st season..LB's next 3)...then back to Fordham (LB's/Asst DC) in 2014

O.K. Stand corrected. That having been said, that part of it (not having a year or two as a FCS coach) doesn't bother me, assuming he's the only coach without experience as a coach

MattMang23

Reaction Score

I am sure Edsall, et. al. have figured out how this is to be handled and I don't have a problem with his kid on staff. Frankly, I couldn't care less. There will no sleep lost by me pondering this, I assure you.

I will simply be intrigued to hear how it bypasses the second clause of that contract stipulation- that his kid must report to someone who does not report to HCRE himself. I read that sentence and, to my eye, this doesn't pass muster. I don't overly care, I'm just curious.

My point that you responded to about being in state service, however, still holds. In state service, you can not report directly to an immediate family member, and there is no way around it, so what RedSoloCup is saying about organizational structure does not exist in the state. Private entities may be different but this is a long-standing state policy, which it should be. I realize this is not a prototypical state job, but UConn does have hiring practices that must be approved by the state.

Reaction Score
For comparison, I have an account manager who supports me and our account list. He is my primary day to day support but ultimately reports to a separate director of account management who handles performance reviews. I then report into my VP separately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom