2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official)

Reaction Score
I could see Terry as the Head Coach in 4-5 years.

I was wondering about his title. Usually you don't see position coaches with the assistant head coach label. Don't know if that was so he could pay him more or it is to groom him for the future.

Reaction Score
I was wondering about his title. Usually you don't see position coaches with the assistant head coach label. Don't know if that was so he could pay him more or it is to groom him for the future.

Interestingly, Lyndon Johnson was his Assistant Head Coach while at Maryland.

Reaction Score
That's funny...Hank Hughes carried that title when Edsall was here before and also under P, and Don Patterson carried that title under Diaco.

Reaction Score

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Love Wholly and Richardson being back. Both are perfectly qualified for their jobs. Not a nepotism fan but, as I said, that is not unusual in college football coaching and it is what it is. Not a problem to have one positional coach, with grad assistant experience, starting out. Steinberg I assume is a non-coaching position, and looks like a very good get. Hopefully brings us some names of players that MD looked at and where just below Big Ten level at the end of the day.

To the extent HCRE can be judged from a distance, I would say Corey will be the last guy on the staff who gets cut any slack. I would expect he will be held to a high standard exactly for the fact that he's the head coach's son. I watched the same dynamic happen to a close friend who worked at his father's company (which he eventually took over and has been running for 20 years). His father was constantly on his @$$ to the extent that I felt bad for the guy. HCRE strike me as the same kind of taskmaster.

Reaction Score
That's funny...Hank Hughes carried that title when Edsall was here before and also under P, and Don Patterson carried that title under Diaco.

OK, so much for my memory being any good. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I like what I'm hearing so far, and suppose Richardson is potentially in line to inherit the HC job down the road... but am very confused about Corey Edsall. I thought he couldn't report up to his father and was going to work elsewhere in the AD, how exactly does this work?

Reaction Score
I like what I'm hearing so far, and suppose Richardson is potentially in line to inherit the HC job down the road... but am very confused about Corey Edsall. I thought he couldn't report up to his father and was going to work elsewhere in the AD, how exactly does this work?
It's semantics...he couldn't directly report to his father but could report to someone who does...so as TE coach he doesn't report directly to his father but rather the OC. Not thrilled about this at all... but it is what it is.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It's semantics...he couldn't directly report to his father but could report to someone who does...so as TE coach he doesn't report directly to his father but rather the OC. Not thrilled about this at all... but it is what it is.
May I ask why?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I think the title of AHC is about pay grade more than anything. Sure RE trusts him to be his right hand guy, but there is only one guy running the show. This isn't a PP/GDL coffee clatch situation or BD and his cast of a thousand mentors.

Reaction Score
May I ask why?
At this stage of the game I don't think it's in the best interests for UConn football to have a kid getting a job fresh off a GA job when his father is the HC and is charged with a rebuilding job. Is RE going to hold his son to the same standards as the other members of the staff? What happens if the play of the TE's is sub-par compared to other positions on offense?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
At this stage of the game I don't think it's in the best interests for UConn football to have a kid getting a job fresh off a GA job when his father is the HC and is charged with a rebuilding job. Is RE going to hold his son to the same standards as the other members of the staff? What happens if the play of the TE's is sub-par compared to other positions on offense?

I see your point.

I am my childrens toughest critic - I can see it either way.
My daughter hated playing for me, at the time, as I was tougher on her than everyone else. Now that she is playing HS BB and I am just a spectator, she misses that extra push I would give.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Someone needs to talk to Mr. Steinberg on "Dress for Success" ... however, the article that is easily found on his importance in Maryland Terrapin recruiting and Edsall's confidence is a HUGE plus. We need Maryland and Virginia and DC recruits to be successful; and Western PA again; and NJ; and Terry Richardson in South FLA.

Reaction Score
... the article that is easily found on his importance in Maryland Terrapin recruiting and Edsall's confidence is a HUGE plus. We need Maryland and Virginia and DC recruits to be successful; and Western PA again; and NJ; and Terry Richardson in South FLA.

Yup... another from last night in the other thread.

>>Pete Volk, Testudo Times managing editor: Steinberg may be the second most-important recruiter on staff, behind Locksley. He runs the database and organizes much of it, and prospects often talk about their relationship with him (and speak very highly of it).<<

Reaction Score

It's not like he pulled him out from behind a cubicle at the Hartford or something. He's been cutting his teeth the right way in the business and I think he's qualified to have earned his shot. He just sat in on a monumental team turn around at CU. I am sure he learned some worthwhile things that he can bring to UConn from that experience.

Does have have a built in advantage in the business being Edsall's son? Absolutely, but so did Rex and Rob Ryan and Wade Phillips, among dozens of others who have gone on to prove themselves on their own merit, many working under their fathers at one point or another.

Reaction Score
It's TE's coach. Relax. By all accounts Corey has the necessary qualifications for the job. 90% of it is doing what RE wants done and reporting back that is was done.
Agreed. Not only will the kid report directly to the mystery OC, he will also be supported and helped by both the WR and OL coaches. Pretty common place for TE coach to be the least experienced on staff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom