2016 UConn Football Gameday Changes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 UConn Football Gameday Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
I don't interpret it that.
I heard Benedict on TIC this morning and it did sound like Maine game only. Diaco is going to speak at upcoming Frosh orientation to get them fired up about the football program.

Reaction Score
Was on Joe D and you know who tonight - talked about a bunch of other changes (wait for a media article because there were a bunch and I'll miss some as I was grill boy tonight) but one change is the format of the Video Board and he tweeted out a pic of the layout to make down and distance easier to see.

David Benedict@UConnHuskyAD 1 hour ago
New layout of the video board for@UConnFootball@UConnHuskies#BleedBlue#UConnNation#sellitout

04.jpg

One other was more band/drum line and less ads.
UConn Drumline@UConnDrumline 35 mins ago
Thanks for the shoutout on the radio,@UConnHuskyAD! We can't wait for you to hear our beats at the home opener. #GetReady#UConnNation

Reaction Score
Anybody want to compile a playlist and send it to Benedict? I can do it but we need some suggestions outside of the staples we already know (Welcome to the Jungle & Sandstorm) I'll start us off with a couple I thought of:

^ In honor of Shirreffs, maybe if he gets a big first down for us or when we take the field for a crucial drive?

^ Another pump up track to complement Sandstorm

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Anybody want to compile a playlist and send it to Benedict? I can do it but we need some suggestions outside of the staples we already know (Welcome to the Jungle & Sandstorm) I'll start us off with a couple I thought of:

^ In honor of Shirreffs, maybe if he gets a big first down for us or when we take the field for a crucial drive?

^ Another pump up track to complement Sandstorm

A few folks were already doing that on Twitter last night lol

Reaction Score
More changes outlined in the bottom of this release: The Two-Week Countdown Is On!

Benedict announced that UConn students will now receive free bus transportation to and from campus for UConn football games, instead of having to pay for it. For those students who wish to drive, there will now be a special student tailgating lot at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field at a special rate. All UConn freshmen will receive a game ticket to the September 1 opener vs. Maine. There will be a free tailgate for all UConn students prior to the Maine game, featuring Bear's Smokehouse Barbeque.

Fans will see a difference in the video and ribbon boards at the stadium this year. There is a new layout for the video board, which can be seen above, that makes critical game information as score, time, down and distance and game stats easier to read. Those same types of improvements will be made on the ribbon boards as well.

The game presentation will have a better flow with a large reduction in the number of public address reads and on-field presentations. Instead, there will be more of an emphasis on music - by both the UConn Marching Band and loud, exciting piped-in songs. The break between the third and fourth quarter will be an exciting time with the UConn Drumline getting the crowd ready for the last period along with more piped-in music.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
More changes outlined in the bottom of this release: The Two-Week Countdown Is On!

Benedict announced that UConn students will now receive free bus transportation to and from campus for UConn football games, instead of having to pay for it. For those students who wish to drive, there will now be a special student tailgating lot at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field at a special rate. All UConn freshmen will receive a game ticket to the September 1 opener vs. Maine. There will be a free tailgate for all UConn students prior to the Maine game, featuring Bear's Smokehouse Barbeque.

Fans will see a difference in the video and ribbon boards at the stadium this year. There is a new layout for the video board, which can be seen above, that makes critical game information as score, time, down and distance and game stats easier to read. Those same types of improvements will be made on the ribbon boards as well.

The game presentation will have a better flow with a large reduction in the number of public address reads and on-field presentations. Instead, there will be more of an emphasis on music - by both the UConn Marching Band and loud, exciting piped-in songs. The break between the third and fourth quarter will be an exciting time with the UConn Drumline getting the crowd ready for the last period along with more piped-in music.
Oh so it is just the Maine game for free freshman tix?

Reaction Score
For those with no twitter, a recap:

tailgating hours now extended from 4 hours before to 5 hours before the game. I wonder if this means season ticket holders get 6 hours to tailgate?

shuttles for students to/from campus are now FREE (thank the Lord)

ALL incoming freshmen get free tickets to the football games (another great move)

Concession prices for hot dogs and waters have been moved from $5 ea to $3 ea -- noted it was too high in price for a college game

Students can drive to The Rent and park there at a reduced rate-- next to the shuttles so all students are in one area

Be in your seats for kickoff

Man this guy just gets it. Having a football focused AD is going to do wonders for this program. I hope this leads to more crowds not just now but in the future too as these kids get older.
So Warde wasn't a football guy? What did I miss?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So Warde wasn't a football guy? What did I miss?

Warde absolutely was a football guy. My comment has nothing to do with him.

Reaction Score

The highlights for me:

On Parking: "We want all of those lots full so that the lots that are closest, people can park in so they don't have to walk as far. That seems pretty logical, but it's not something that we had been doing previously, but we are going to be doing that this year. We know that based on what our season ticket numbers are, we have x number of spaces in those lots and they aren't going to be full and if we block them off only to those season ticket holders, we are going to have half empty lots in some of them. So we are going to open those up, which I think the CRDA is happy about and LAZ parking, our good partners, they are going to do a great job with that. "

On Scoreboard: "It's amazing how much feedback I got about, 'hey, the board is very complicated to read, you really can't see the down and distance, so I'm going to tweet out the new layout, which will make it much easier for our fans." (This was always a problem for us in 214.)

On On-Field Promotions: "We had 90 promotional reads last year. We are cutting those in half to 45 and will look to reduce those even further during games. The majority will take place prior to the game or in between quarters. We do not want to ruin the flow or the momentum of the game and take away from what is going on down on the field. "

On Additional In-Game Interruptions: "Another thing we did a lot a year ago were on field recognitions. We had 23 last year during just 6 games, which was really overboard. We will limit that to no more than 13 this year over seven games and most of those will be to honor military personnel, who really deserve the recognition. The point is we want to limit the amount of interruptions throughout the game."

On Free Tix For Freshmen: "Working with all the good people in student services, we are going to basically make the first home game part of that orientation week, so while I want to say it's not a requirement, we are going to pitch it that this is part of your orientation and all freshman should take part in their first college football game on campus. So we are going to give all the freshman free tickets."

On Keeping Students Until 4th Quarter: "We are going to do something new this year and in between the third and fourth quarters, we are going to start in with the band and they are going to have a chance to play and then we are going to go into the drum line and they are going to have a minute and a half to do a routine that I think will really get people fired up. At that point in time we are going to turn it over to some type of music for the students to really get going. There are some great examples of this, probably the best one I've ever seen is at Wisconsin, they play the 'Jump Around' song, so they play that and the whole end zone starts shaking"

And then some no-commenting on the B12.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
"We want to have an environment that flows," Benedict said. "We had 90 promotional reads last year. We are cutting those in half to 45 and will look to reduce those even further during games. The majority will take place prior to the game or in between quarters. We do not want to ruin the flow or the momentum of the game and take away from what is going on down on the field. I've also heard about the great band that we have and am looking forward to seeing them and we will showcase them a lot more. We will be utilizing them to keep the momentum of the game moving. Another thing we did a lot a year ago were on field recognitions. We had 23 last year during just 6 games, which was really overboard. We will limit that to no more than 13 this year over seven games and most of those will be to honor military personnel, who really deserve the recognition. The point is we want to limit the amount of interruptions throughout the game."

THANK YOU Mr. Benedict!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Man, Benedict is killing it. Honestly, I'll still love him regardless of what happens in CR. Also, regarding his mention of Wisconsin's Jump Around at the start of the 4th and wanting to create a similar tradition, that's a great idea. I'd personally love to have Let Me Clear My Throat become the song...old school but has a lot of call and response in the song to get the crowd involved and making noise

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Man, Benedict is killing it. Honestly, I'll still love him regardless of what happens in CR. Also, regarding his mention of Wisconsin's Jump Around at the start of the 4th and wanting to create a similar tradition, that's a great idea. I'd personally love to have Let Me Clear My Throat become the song...old school but has a lot of call and response in the song to get the crowd involved and making noise

So much yes to this......

Reaction Score
Football Game Day Changes And Enhancements Announced

Lot of info here about the "new stuff" in the link including...

New Student Loyalty Platform -- Husky Trax
This season, students can swipe their ID at the marketing kiosk at Gate C during every home game to collect points and earn rewards. Student loyalty rewards will be awarded game-by-game and over the course of the season.

Similar Program was in place @ Auburn.

Reaction Score
Every year we bring in stadium seats with arms. Last year during the season, one time only, at gate b, we were not allowed to bring them in, so we went to the next gate and no problem. I would hate to walk all the way to the gate only to be told not allowed. So what I would like to know are they allowed or not, and who do we contact to find out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Every year we bring in stadium seats with arms. Last year during the season, one time only, at gate b, we were not allowed to bring them in, so we went to the next gate and no problem. I would hate to walk all the way to the gate only to be told not allowed. So what I would like to know are they allowed or not, and who do we contact to find out.
First world problems, Nell. Ms. Fancy Pants has chairs WITH arms!?

I kid I kid.

Reaction Score
Loving the changes, enhancements, perks, etc.

One really minor thing, can the GameDay programs include the words to the fight song and Alma Mater? Maybe include a little history & fan etiquette? For some of us noobs and the great unwashed masses, it would be a nice touch to have thousands of fans singing along with the RIGHT words, and not mumbling gibberish.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Loving the changes, enhancements, perks, etc.

One really minor thing, can the GameDay programs include the words to the fight song and Alma Mater? Maybe include a little history & fan etiquette? For some of us noobs and the great unwashed masses, it would be a nice touch to have thousands of fans singing along with the RIGHT words, and not mumbling gibberish.

great first post. welcome to the board and hope you enjoy your experience at the Rent!

Reaction Score
The game day changes sound great. Anything to enhance the atmosphere and keep people coming back. I feel like a hypocrite saying that, as the last time I was at the Rent was in 06 and the last game I was able to attend was at Baylor. That being said I do what I can to watch every game even if its DVR'd. I do that at the expense of a lot of other college football action because I don't want to inadvertently catch a UConn score just cus I had 10 minutes to watch whatever game was on. Wish I was still in CT to enjoy all thats going on. Blah blah cry me a river, right?
I've always thought they should do more with actual Huskies on game day. Basic gist of my thought is, hours before game time have an interactive area set up with several Husky dogs. This could involve anything from just a fun area for kids, meet and greet, and pictures to, maybe, a dog rescue/adoption set up. I'm sure someone more creative than me could explore the possibilities on that. Then when the team is introduced have the dogs come out first either in a pack or some reasonable assimilation of a dog sled team. Any riff off that would be fine. Thoughts and criticism appreciated. Go UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom