2016 Husky Draft Competition. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2016 Husky Draft Competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm still mad at @Minicoop69 for denying me the chance to argue on behalf of a Donyell/Hasheem front court, btw (though I totally get his reasoning for going in a different direction).

Curious as to which front court you'd prefer - Donyell/Thabeet or Villanueva/Okafor. My gut is to go with the former, but Charlie V's stats p/40min in '05 was 21+ points/12+ rebounds/2.9 blocks while shooting 50% from 3.

Reaction Score
Curious as to which front court you'd prefer - Donyell/Thabeet or Villanueva/Okafor. My gut is to go with the former, but Charlie V's stats p/40min in '05 was 21+ points/12+ rebounds/2.9 blocks while shooting 50% from 3.
I think both are exceptional front courts. On balance, though, Donyell's versatility and ability to be the No. 1 option from the block, from the high post or midrange while still being able to stretch the floor gives the Donyell/Hasheem combo the slightest of edges.

It still pisses me off we lost to NC State that year, btw. It's one of the more underrated "well, that hurt" losses in program history.

Reaction Score
I think both are exceptional front courts. On balance, though, Donyell's versatility and ability to be the No. 1 option from the block, from the high post or midrange while still being able to stretch the floor gives the Donyell/Hasheem combo the slightest of edges.

It still pisses me off we lost to NC State that year, btw. It's one of the more underrated "well, that hurt" losses in program history.

I hate hate hate Julius Hodge so much

Reaction Score

I go Villanueva Okafor.

Yup. In this draft he should go no lower than 5th to be perfectly honest because the college game can still be dominated by big men in a way that the NBA really can't. If you can get elite rim protection, rebounding, 13ppg and 65% or better from the line at the 5, you take it.

Thabeet was great for us for sure but no way you take him over one of the following: Emeka, Kemba, Rip, Ray, Donyell, Shabazz, Caron, BG. If you take him in the top 5 that is really reaching.

Regardless of NBA performance those guys were better players for us than Thabeet. There are still players I would take over him other than those listed, but you could argue him after those guys. He wasn't a top 5 UConn great.

Reaction Score
What a young group of GM's. One name prior to 89-90 and that's Cliffy.:confused:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What a young group of GM's. One name prior to 89-90 and that's Cliffy.:confused:
From experience, I had a team one year where I drafted Hobbs, Bialosuknia, and Kimball and I lost in the first round because everyone thought the Calhoun-era players were far superior. Puzzling, yes. But that's the way it goes.

Reaction Score
Thabeet was great for us for sure but no way you take him over one of the following: Emeka, Kemba, Rip, Ray, Donyell, Shabazz, Caron, BG. If you take him in the top 5 that is really reaching.

Regardless of NBA performance those guys were better players for us than Thabeet. There are still players I would take over him other than those listed, but you could argue him after those guys. He wasn't a top 5 UConn great.
No, he wasn't a top 5 UConn great, but this isn't a list compiling the greatest UConn players of all-time, in order. It's a draft designed to create the best team, and because of that Thabeet has greater value than other more talented UConn players.

Reaction Score
No, he wasn't a top 5 UConn great, but this isn't a list compiling the greatest UConn players of all-time, in order. It's a draft designed to create the best team, and because of that Thabeet has greater value than other more talented UConn players.

If you're building a team from scratch where would you draft Thabeet? I'm assuming Okafor, Kemba, Ray, Donyell would be the top 4. Do you take Thabeet over Rip? No way. Over Bazz? Dont see it. Caron, Gordon?

Reaction Score
If you're building a team from scratch you take any of the guys I listed over him. Just curious if you were to draft the guys I listed where would you draft Thabeet? I'm assuming Okafor, Kemba, Ray, Donyell you are all taking before Thabeet. Do you take Thabeet over Rip, Shabazz, Caron, Gordon? No way he brought more value than those guys.
1. Emeka
2. Donyell
3. Ray
4. Kemba
5. Thabeet

And I could be talked into Hasheem at No. 4 or even No. 3.

I love modern, position-switching 4-out basketball, and the only way you can implement that is if you have a monstrous 5 who can protect the paint and rebound the hell out of the ball. If he can hit his free throws as well, you're golden.

So I draft my 5 and build out around him unless there's someone game-breakingly exceptional at one of the other spots. In the case of Donyell, Ray & Kemba, that's what's on offer.

Reaction Score
1. Emeka
2. Donyell
3. Ray
4. Kemba
5. Thabeet

I love modern, position-switching 4-out basketball, and the only way you can implement that is if you have a monstrous 5 who can protect the paint and rebound the hell out of the ball. If he can hit his free throws as well, you're golden.

So I draft my 5 and build out around him unless there's someone game-breakingly exceptional at one of the other spots. In the case of Donyell, Ray & Kemba, that's what's on offer.

Really pushing it now. If you want to build the best team, there's no chance in hell you take Thabeet over Bazz and Rip.

Reaction Score
1. Emeka
2. Donyell
3. Ray
4. Kemba
5. Thabeet

To each their own.

For me, Caron, Rip, BG, Bazz were all game breakingly exceptional. Thabeet was great for us, I just don't see building a better team around him than those guys.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I went with Shabazz because he is the most successful Husky of all-time, and he was a killer. I then surrounded him with the sensational Rudy Gay, and the wizard himself Doron Sheffer.

If the Sheffer / Shabazz backcourt doesn't scare you, then you're a commie who eats ketchup and turkey sandwiches.

upload_2016-5-19_21-49-22.png

Reaction Score
I went with Shabazz because he is the most successful Husky of all-time, and he was a killer. I then surrounded him with the sensational Rudy Gay, and the wizard himself Doron Sheffer.

If the Sheffer / Shabazz backcourt doesn't scare you, then you're a commie who eats ketchup and turkey sandwiches.

View attachment 13751

I prioritized getting a good backcourt too. Marcus Williams I thought was one of the best pure point guards we've ever had. I believe he had the most assists in a single season ever. Then opposite him I took Boatright. An aggressive, defensive force with the heart of a lion.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
With my 3rd round pick I will take:

Jeff Adrien

Alongside Thabeet he will form a most formidable front court. Good luck scoring on us or getting an offensive rebound.

Reaction Score
Best available in no order

Kelley, Taliek, Purvis, Adams, Rashad, Robertson, Mouring, KO, Gibbs, Karl Hobbs, Tate, Denham
Freeman, Jake, Boone, Knight, Selvie, Denham, Shonn Miller, Dham, DD, Giffey, Roscoe, Oriakhi, Mckay, Corney Thompson, Hilton, Rickey, Quimby, Biasulknia, Hanson

Reaction Score

Jeff Adrien

Alongside Thabeet he will form a most formidable front court. Good luck scoring on us or getting an offensive rebound.

2011 Kemba on the 09 team thats sick

Reaction Score

Jeff Adrien

Love it. One of my all-time favorite huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom