Reaction Score
as of right now my list is:

outlow
newsome
thomas
mcalister
phillips
cooper

but it could change 2moro when some 1 tells me something.

Reaction Score
Having seen Newsome, Cooper, Phillips, and Outlow here my thoughts on this talented group.

1. Newsome - He's the total package. Although he's only 5'8,180, he has the frame to play at 190-195. He certainly plays bigger then his size. He can break tackles at the LOS and can run inside or out. He's has great feet and fluid hips. He is the best of the group at planting and changing direction very quickly. He stays very low in and out of cuts and is very good at setting up blocks. He is a very patient runner with good vision. He won't bounce out of the hole, if the hole doesn't open. He will take what a defense gives, very rarely loses yards. He will ride his linemen until he sees a seam he can get through. His lack of height helps him hide from defenders, allowing him to set up his blocks. He's very hard to square up in the hole because he sees the field so well. He doesn't have the straight line speed of Cooper or Outlow but he runs a sub 4.5, so he's fast enough. He also has very good hands and experience playing WR, so he's a threat in the pass game as well. He can play some slot to create mismatches.

2. Outlow - He's a physical, between the tackles, back. At 6', 190, he has the best size in the group and can likely play at 200-205. He's has the ability to out-run defenders to the edge. However, he doesn't get in and out of cuts quickly. He's a one move and done runner. He reminds me of DeAngelo Berry from Xavier. Very strong, very fast. North/South runner. Can catch the ball but primarily from the backfield.

3. Cooper - Easily the smallest and fastest of the group, but probably the strongest. He is a smaller version of Maurice Jones-Drew. He's built like a tank. He can run inside and out but lacks good patience. He will look to bounce, if the holes not there right away. If he gets to the second level, he's gone. Has a low center of gravity making him very difficult to tackle. Shows some shiftiness, will make defenders miss but usually will try to outrun them to the edge first. He's the least comfortable catching the ball but is good in the screen game. His speed is unmatched.

4. Phillips - He's the most versitile of the group, more of an athlete then a RB. He's just a playmaker. He has a knack for making something out of nothing. He's very shifty and very hard to tackle in the open field. He lacks the speed of the others, but is dangerous as a runner or receiver. He's also very slight, not a between the tackles runner. He won't take 3 yards, he'll dance at the LOS looking for the big play. I don't think he'll be recruited as a RB. He'll either be an ATH or a DB.

They will all need to become better pass blockers at the next level. They really aren't asked to do it much at the HS level.

Reaction Score
Having seen Newsome, Cooper, Phillips, and Outlow here my thoughts on this talented group.

1. Newsome - He's the total package. Although he's only 5'8,180, he has the frame to play at 190-195. He certainly plays bigger then his size. He can break tackles at the LOS and can run inside or out. He's has great feet and fluid hips. He is the best of the group at planting and changing direction very quickly. He stays very low in and out of cuts and is very good at setting up blocks. He is a very patient runner with good vision. He won't bounce out of the hole, if the hole doesn't open. He will take what a defense gives, very rarely loses yards. He will ride his linemen until he sees a seam he can get through. His lack of height helps him hide from defenders, allowing him to set up his blocks. He's very hard to square up in the hole because he sees the field so well. He doesn't have the straight line speed of Cooper or Outlow but he runs a sub 4.5, so he's fast enough. He also has very good hands and experience playing WR, so he's a threat in the pass game as well. He can play some slot to create mismatches.

2. Outlow - He's a physical, between the tackles, back. At 6', 190, he has the best size in the group and can likely play at 200-205. He's has the ability to out-run defenders to the edge. However, he doesn't get in and out of cuts quickly. He's a one move and done runner. He reminds me of DeAngelo Berry from Xavier. Very strong, very fast. North/South runner. Can catch the ball but primarily from the backfield.

3. Cooper - Easily the smallest and fastest of the group, but probably the strongest. He is a smaller version of Maurice Jones-Drew. He's built like a tank. He can run inside and out but lacks good patience. He will look to bounce, if the holes not there right away. If he gets to the second level, he's gone. Has a low center of gravity making him very difficult to tackle. Shows some shiftiness, will make defenders miss but usually will try to outrun them to the edge first. He's the least comfortable catching the ball but is good in the screen game. His speed is unmatched.

4. Phillips - He's the most versitile of the group, more of an athlete then a RB. He's just a playmaker. He has a knack for making something out of nothing. He's very shifty and very hard to tackle in the open field. He lacks the speed of the others, but is dangerous as a runner or receiver. He's also very slight, not a between the tackles runner. He won't take 3 yards, he'll dance at the LOS looking for the big play. I don't think he'll be recruited as a RB. He'll either be an ATH or a DB.

They will all need to become better pass blockers at the next level. They really aren't asked to do it much at the HS level.

Thanks for the details. I want 2 of these kids next year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

great job! i see phillips as tavon austin like, part slot part runner. thats why i have said i want 3 rbs form new england this year him being 1 of them. i honestly dont think uconn can take both cooper and newsome, just not sure thats a good idea. it has to be 1 of those 2 and then land outlow or thomas.

Reaction Score
I was wondering with 2013 recruiting in the books (great class btw even without Lagow) when do the recruiting sites start rating out the 2014 class? Does anyone know this? Also what do people think the monster CT RB's will be rated at? I'm just guessing but with the interest Outlow is generating he is def a 4* no? As for the other one's I would imagine 3* but what the hell do I know.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I was wondering with 2013 recruiting in the books (great class btw even without Lagow) when do the recruiting sites start rating out the 2014 class? Does anyone know this? Also what do people think the monster CT RB's will be rated at? I'm just guessing but with the interest Outlow is generating he is def a 4* no? As for the other one's I would imagine 3* but what the hell do I know.

random guess:
outlow(ct)-5*/4*
newsome(ct)-4*/3*
thomas(ma)-4*/3*
mcalister(ma-sufield acd)-3*
cooper-3*
phillips-3*

Reaction Score
random guess:
outlow(ct)-5*/4*
newsome(ct)-4*/3*
thomas(ma)-4*/3*
mcalister(ma-sufield acd)-3*
cooper-3*
phillips-3*
I would say you're pretty close. Even with the interest Outlow is getting, I don't think he'll be higher then a 4*. He's not even the best RB in CT, never mind one of the best in the country. As always, I think being from the NE, usually works against them in their rankings. I think Cooper and Phillips are 3* at best, likely 2*. If we could take Outlow's size, Newsome's ability, vision, and quickness, and Cooper's speed we'd have a lock 5* recruit. ;)

Reaction Score
Rivals just put out it's top 250, i think it was on monday

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The offers they get will decide where they are ranked. Again it is tied in part to subscriptions at least on Scout, and Rivals.

I think all will be three stars at least with two being four at some point.

Reaction Score
From ESPNBoston High School Report:

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR
Five of the top recruits from New England in the Class of 2014:
  • Jon Baker, OL, Millis/Hopedale
  • Manny Latimore, RB, Pinkerton Academy (N.H.)
  • Arkeel Newsome, RB, Ansonia (Conn.)
  • Connor Strachan, LB, St. Sebastian's
  • Jon Thomas, RB, St. John's Prep
Strachan and Thomas are both on the ESPN Watch List.

Reaction Score

Here's a statistical comparison from MaxPreps: Tale of the tape

pj

Reaction Score
Here's a statistical comparison from MaxPreps: Tale of the tape

Based on this Cooper looks very impressive. Most yards per carry, most receptions, most yards per reception, longest run, and he was playing defense too and got tackles and sacks. Speedwise he demonstrated high level speed on the track. Hope we're on him as well as Newsome and Phillips.

Missing Outlow is the sort of thing that happens in recruiting, I'm not too concerned about the miss, but I hate the idea that we may not have been competing full-bore.

Reaction Score
Based on this Cooper looks very impressive. Most yards per carry, most receptions, most yards per reception, longest run, and he was playing defense too and got tackles and sacks. Speedwise he demonstrated high level speed on the track. Hope we're on him as well as Newsome and Phillips.

Missing Outlow is the sort of thing that happens in recruiting, I'm not too concerned about the miss, but I hate the idea that we may not have been competing full-bore.

What makes you think that? Please don't tell me HFD.

pj

Reaction Score
What makes you think that? Please don't tell me HFD.

Here's Mike DiMauro, http://www.theday.com/article/20121206/SPORT01/312069608/Why-was-UConn-so-late-to-Outlow's-party

While it would be hyperbolic for Outlow to wonder, "where have you been all my life?" he certainly could wonder where the Huskies have been since the summer....

This explains why the following schools have already offered him: Oregon, Alabama, Florida, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, BC, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and others. And the best we get from State U is "lately?"...

[T]he evidence suggests Outlow has potential. And so why UConn wasn't on him first — he lives 30 minutes from campus — appears to be a really good question. Even if there are doubts, he's 5-foot-11, 200 pounds, ready physically and a good student....

The point is this: Why was UConn so late to the party?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a highlight video for Ervin Phillips but there are some clips of him out there, like this one:

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a highlight video for Ervin Phillips but there are some clips of him out there, like this one:

Those are elight cutting moves. Wow. Love this kid from that video

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk

Reaction Score
What happened with us and AJ Long? The kid put up great numbers in PA his fr and so yr then this past yr transferred to TN and put up 2,500 yds passing and 37 tds to 1 pick. We were looking at him during the summer and now on rivals we arent even listed anymore.

Reaction Score

This kid is unbelievably explosive with amazing COD Skills. Those cuts are sick.From west haven? Lets make this kid a priority

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk

Reaction Score
We have offered DT Ricky Walker out of Hampton,VA. He's a 4* on 247 and 18th best DT. Has a nice offer list with Va Tech, PSU, UNC, NCST, MD and others on this list. Hopefully Buggs can get in on him.

Reaction Score
Good news is Thomas visited for jr day. I'd like to have him as a bigger back.

Reaction Score
Also look out for Curtis Samuel we've been on him for almost a yr. He's starting to pick up big offers and is going to ND jr day in March. Another NYC kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom