2014 Huskies -What is the question that you are most curious about? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2014 Huskies -What is the question that you are most curious about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Will a 7-point deficit still feel like a three possession game?
This is an awesome question because I forgot, thankfully, how I felt this every time we went down simply by one score. Heck, it could have even been down by a FG and I felt like it was a giant mountain to climb.

I'd add to this question thread, Will the coaches be able to make halftime adjustments. I remember all of us beating our heads against a wall when we'd come out from halftime doing the same stupid things....

Reaction Score
UCFBfan I wish I could like you 3 or 4 times! the lack of adjustments at halftime was incredibly frustrating.

Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan said:
Will a 7-point deficit still feel like a three possession game?
Yup, and as you also know too well, it was even worse at our 1, 2, 3, 4 or so AM.

Reaction Score
This is an awesome question because I forgot, thankfully, how I felt this every time we went down simply by one score. Heck, it could have even been down by a FG and I felt like it was a giant mountain to climb.

I'd add to this question thread, Will the coaches be able to make halftime adjustments. I remember all of us beating our heads against a wall when we'd come out from halftime doing the same stupid things....

The Temple home game where Christen missed all those kicks was infuriating. I remember thinking after the 1st Quarter that we were going to blow them out. Addazzio adjusted, we didn't, Chad had the worst game of his career, and we take the L in OT. Probably the 3rd most infuriating home loss other than UNC and RU (Tim f'ng Brown). I don't count the Navy game because quite frankly that game never happened.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Temple home game where Christen missed all those kicks was infuriating. I remember thinking after the 1st Quarter that we were going to blow them out. Addazzio adjusted, we didn't, Chad had the worst game of his career, and we take the L in OT. Probably the 3rd most infuriating home loss other than UNC and RU (Tim f'ng Brown). I don't count the Navy game because quite frankly that game never happened.
I agree that the Temple loss was beyond frustrating but the UNC game was the worst. RU was just heartbreaking.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Only two times have I turned off a UConn football game in total disgust. Navy game and Buffalo last year. I am going to chalk the Navy game up as a fluke occurrence (althouth RE struggled with certain offenses (triple option/spread..see Pat White)), but that Buffalo game was an indication of how bad PP had led the program. The good news was that WM felt the same way.

Reaction Score
Only two times have I turned off a UConn football game in total disgust. Navy game and Buffalo last year. I am going to chalk the Navy game up as a fluke occurrence (althouth RE struggled with certain offenses (triple option/spread..see Pat White)), but that Buffalo game was an indication of how bad PP had led the program. The good news was that WM felt the same way.

Agree. But for me, one of the biggest letdowns was the UNC game where we had like 3 kicks blocked by the same guy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was part way off the bandwagon at the end of the first 5-7 season in December '11. The offense was bad and frankly, the defense was worse, but I was willing to give Former "Coach" Pasqualoni the benefit of the doubt. After all, Mr. Conner told us, "the cupboard was bare," and he didn't recruit any of his players. I knew the trouble wouldn't end for UConn after the UMass game when UConn's 1,000 yard rusher only mustered 82 and UConn didn't score more than 20 points in the first half, settling for field goals on two drives.

My buddy, with whom I've been going to games since 2002, jumped off the bandwagon after the home win vs. Buffalo in '12. I kept reminding him that UConn won, but then I was fully off board the next week when UConn couldn't must more than a field goal in Piscataway. I still went to the games, but...Well, let's put it this way: If I opened a beer at 11:50, I wasn't going out my way to finish it by the time I reach Gate D and I wasn't dumping it.

Reaction Score
UCFBfan I wish I could like you 3 or 4 times! the lack of adjustments at halftime was incredibly frustrating.

It's hard to adjust to a Plan "B" when there is no Plan "A." On what is the adjustment to be based?

Reaction Score
Weyuo and others that supported Pasqualoni were trying to destroy UConn football. Worst poster since "Ansonia Steve".

Strongly disagree. If you show up to the games, you're a fan. Taking shots at coaches on the Internet doesn't make you a better fan. The only thing that makes you a fan is buying tickets, showing up, and supporting the program. I happen to try to be an optimist and even when things were going badly I tried to support the previous regime. Why? Because I wanted to win. And the only thing I can do, as a fan, is root for my team to win. I don't hire or fire the coaches. I don't get any say in the matter. I just hope our AD knows what he's doing.

But don't pat yourself on the back for being an Internet tough guy towards the previous coaching staff. It doesn't make you any better of a fan than anybody who acts like a respectful adult towards our previous coaches.

Reaction Score

Last season's Buffalo loss was the worst display of football I've ever seen, maybe ever. When you get your doors blown off by Buffalo, you need to ask yourself some very serious questions.

Reaction Score
Last season's Buffalo loss was the worst display of football I've ever seen, maybe ever. When you get your doors blown off by Buffalo, you need to ask yourself some very serious questions.

The time for serious questions had long past. That ship had sailed even before Towson.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. If you show up to the games, you're a fan. Taking shots at coaches on the Internet doesn't make you a better fan. The only thing that makes you a fan is buying tickets, showing up, and supporting the program. I happen to try to be an optimist and even when things were going badly I tried to support the previous regime. Why? Because I wanted to win. And the only thing I can do, as a fan, is root for my team to win. I don't hire or fire the coaches. I don't get any say in the matter. I just hope our AD knows what he's doing.

But don't pat yourself on the back for being an Internet tough guy towards the previous coaching staff. It doesn't make you any better of a fan than anybody who acts like a respectful adult towards our previous coaches.

Please. The Pasqualoni supporters were in the same boat as "CT HS Football Coaches", we needed every voice possible to excise that cancer as early as possible.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I agree the UNC game was very painful - and it still came down to a phantom holding call. As long as we're reliving fond memories... There were back to back Western Michigan shred jobs. The Vandy game.... but for me the pièce de résistance was getting thoroughly bullied by Towson. That's why my threshold for improvement is not a number of wins. I simply want to see them be excited, disciplined and organized. I want to want to watch the team I want to watch. It shouldn't have to be my weekly penance every Sunday at 2 am... Wins will follow if they can make that happen.

Reaction Score

Well yeah but I was talking only about home losses.

Reaction Score
Well yeah but I was talking only about home losses.

Ah, fair. Yeah, the RU loss was the worst. It was like talking out of a funeral with 35,000 people. I am not sure I've ever experienced such collective depression. (I didn't make it to the UNC game.)

Reaction Score
Please. The Pasqualoni supporters were in the same boat as "CT HS Football Coaches", we needed every voice possible to excise that cancer as early as possible.

Yeah, I think Manuel was probably going to fire Pasqualoni, but then he saw weyou support him on the Boneyard and decided to give him a contract extension instead.

Please.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Manuel was probably going to fire Pasqualoni, but then he saw weyou support him on the Boneyard and decided to give him a contract extension instead.

Please.

That's not what I am saying. Thank you.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I disagree with your definition of a fan. I am a Redskins fan. I have never been to FedEx Field (RFK for baseball only). I am a Red Sox fan. I haven't been to a home game since 2009 (3 away games in that time). I am a Bruins fan. The NHL has had 2 work stoppages since I've been to the Boston Garden (with exposed ice). Attendance =/= fandom as much as emotional investment or involvement.

Part of being a fan is the ability to be critical. As a fan, you always want your team to succeed. When something is going wrong with a program, a fan calls it out. A fan introduces a topic to a message board or talk radio and the topic goes under debate. A lemming blindly goes along with management (the Athletic Department in this case). An insane person hopes against hope that things turn around, given no action.

Reaction Score
I disagree with your definition of a fan. I am a Redskins fan. I have never been to FedEx Field (RFK for baseball only). I am a Red Sox fan. I haven't been to a home game since 2009 (3 away games in that time). I am a Bruins fan. The NHL has had 2 work stoppages since I've been to the Boston Garden (with exposed ice). Attendance =/= fandom as much as emotional investment or involvement.

Part of being a fan is the ability to be critical. As a fan, you always want your team to succeed. When something is going wrong with a program, a fan calls it out. A fan introduces a topic to a message board or talk radio and the topic goes under debate. A lemming blindly goes along with management (the Athletic Department in this case). An insane person hopes against hope that things turn around, given no action.

The difference is that those fan bases don't really NEED you to be there. They generate significant revenue and tend to price middle class fans out of the market. UConn Football desperately needs fans. If weyou shows up to games, I'd say he's doing a better job than most Connecticut residents.

By the definition of many posters here, if you don't name-call our previous coach, you're obviously a lemming. It's total nonsense. Many of us agreed that Pasqualoni wasn't doing a great job but simply aren't the pitchfork types. And yet we are constantly insulted as "not real fans" and even blamed for the last few seasons. That's BS. I support this program. Sorry I won't join the mob to burn down Pasqualoni's house.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that WM is not tone deaf to the fanbase.

The problem is that many people on this board feel someone's credentials essentially come down to how insulting a thing you can say about our previous coach, and anybody who musters up even a modicum of respect is a "lemming" or an "apologist" and is actually BLAMED for it. It's outrageous. I know morale is bad, but we don't need to insult each other. We have enough problems convincing people to show up to games without racing to the moral bottom of the cesspool of name-calling.

If you go to games and you support the program, but you somehow didn't call for crucifying Pasqualoni, you aren't a real fan and you get blamed for the last three years? That's super weak.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The difference is that those fan bases don't really NEED you to be there. They generate significant revenue and tend to price middle class fans out of the market. UConn Football desperately needs fans. If weyou shows up to games, I'd say he's doing a better job than most Connecticut residents.

By the definition of many posters here, if you don't name-call our previous coach, you're obviously a lemming. It's total nonsense. Many of us agreed that Pasqualoni wasn't doing a great job but simply aren't the pitchfork types. And yet we are constantly insulted as "not real fans" and even blamed for the last few seasons. That's BS. I support this program. Sorry I won't join the mob to burn down Pasqualoni's house.

Weyou buying a ticket and showing up for games doesn't exactly make him a fan. His passion in how he roots for and follows the team does.

Why don't they NEED me to be there? Because they have enough revenue? Who is anyone to say that these franchises make enough? Is it because they are professional? What if I said I liked the Tampa Rays (who couldn't sell out a World Series game), Jacksonville Jaguars, Columbus Blue Jackets, or Milwaukee Bucks? How about all those fans of the Seattle SuperSonics? Those fans did everything they could. They sold out Key Arena every night until the team relocated and the Sonics still moved to Oklahoma. How about everyone's favorite relocated franchise: The Whalers? Don't/Didn't those pro teams NEED revenue?

Without getting too much into personal finances, I never said I couldn't afford to go see my favorite teams in person. In fact, I've seen the Red Sox in no less than 10 past and current major league parks over the years, but that's not the point. I think what is getting confused is the difference between supporting the program vs. being a fan of a team within the program...It may be unintentional, but it's still a straw man argument...

Regarding what you mention in your second paragraph, you are absolutely correct. However there is such a manner for fans to be critical without being outright insulting, nasty, or threating (in the case of a former Athletic Director, as I've read in some cases.). Warde Manuel gets insulted on this board all the time. Members of the former football coaching staff obviously do as well as a particular beat writer for a prominent local newspaper. Sometimes fans are correct in their thought, but mistaken in its conveyance, but at the end of the day, it's all opinion. Personally, I try to see both sides and be respectful in my criticism...may not always come across that way, but the fact remains... I said above, there is a difference between being an Athletic Supporter (Pun partially intended) and being a fan of the team. I am 100% behind this Athletic department and want it to succeed in every way, including finding a path into the Big Ten. When it comes to being a fan however, it's a two way street and the bargain is: They entertain for a price in time and money, I get entertained enough to come back or tune in next time. I've already purchased season tickets and bought 8 tickets to the Bronx. So I've done my part to support the program. I'm now looking forward to do my part as a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom