2014 Huskies -What is the question that you are most curious about? | The Boneyard

2014 Huskies -What is the question that you are most curious about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't wait for the season to start. I have to admit that I'm more excited than I have been in years. There are so many unknowns.

1) Will HCBD get buy in from the team? There is a huge culture shift happening. How much the veterans buy in will go along way in determining how well we do this season.

2) How big an impact will the new off season conditioning regime have on game day? I'm looking forward to watching the team compete for all four quarters. This could be the Six Million Dollar Man season with players being "stronger, faster."

3) This is sort of 2) b. but how well will the OL do this season? This may be the biggest factor in how well we do this season.

4) Who wins the QB competition? I think it will be Cochran but I'm excited to see someone emerge.

5) What does our running game look like? Delorenzo is more of a between the tackles guy than McCombs was. Clax brings experience and it will good to Marriner on the field. Does Newsome play this year?

6) Does our defense return to dominance? We had a good run under FUCHCRE. BD is a defense guy. I look forward being able to stop people more consistently.

So what is the biggest question you have for the 2014 season?

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My big question - will we see progression and improvement over the course of the season, from individual players, from the O/D/ST units, from the coaches? I'd like the team to look better, stronger, smarter, more dangerous in the last 3-4 games of the season than they do in the first 3-4 games (adjusting for competition, of course... 2 of the 4 last games are Army and Memphis, and 2 of the first 4 are BYU and Boise St). With a new staff, there will be a learning curve for the coaches too, I could forgive coaching errors early in the season IF they correct the issues and improve the playcalling and preparation in subsequent games. And the ability to bounce back from setbacks has been a problem for this team in the past, can the team respond if (for example) we get beaten handily by BYU?

I think in other circumstances, the expectations for a new staff would be that with PP's players they wouldn't be expected to turn the team around in one year. I think that with CR, even though there's no P5 openings at the moment, the pressure is still there to get things turned around faster than normal. That's why assessing what changes in the team culture and mentality between September and December will be the main metric of Diaco's performance, IMHO.

Reaction Score
who's going to run the ball

will we put up points

Reaction Score
I think in other circumstances, the expectations for a new staff would be that with PP's players they wouldn't be expected to turn the team around in one year.

I'm reminded of the Rich Kotite Jets who won two games in two seasons, Parcells took over that team and in year one led them to a 9-7 season. There was talent on that team and there is talent on this UCONN team. We are currently riding a 3 game winning streak.

My question is how many games will it take before Max D runs over a linebacker so badly that he needs the cart to take him off the field? I'm expecting comparisons to John Riggins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was last 2 + years poor running caused by bad selection of RB for all the carries, poor training of OL, poor play calling, poor blocking schemes, poor OL coach - to such a degree that mere "acceptable" in all these categories makes it look like D Brown/Dixon/Todman have returned?
That's my minimum expectation, but then I'm expecting to go to ECU undefeated. If BYU couldn't handle last year's opening game visit to a 2-10 Virginia whose only other victory was against VMI and Virginia lost to Ball State at home by 21; what makes BYU such a force or it's opening road game this year?

Reaction Score
I only have a couple of questions:

*Can the defense step up and compete at the same level it has in the last few years even with key departures?
*Do we have any resemblance of an offensive line?
*Do we have a QB that can start and remain the starter while remaining consistent?
*Who is our running back and will we have a running game at all?
*Will the team quit at the first sign of adversity like they have done previously, or will they continue to buy into the new system and Coaching staff?

Other than that I'm good.........

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I can't wait for the season to start. I have to admit that I'm more excited than I have been in years. There are so many unknowns.

1) Will HCBD get buy in from the team? There is a huge culture shift happening. How much the veteran buy in will go along way in determining how well we do this season.

2) How big an impact will the new off season conditioning regime have on game day? I'm looking forward to watching the team compete for all four quarters. This could be the Six Million Dollar Man season with players being "stronger, faster."

3) This is sort of 2) b. but how well will the OL do this season? This may be the biggest factor in how well we do this season.

4) Who wins the QB competition? I think it will be Cochran but I excited to see someone emerge.

5) What does our running game look like? Delorenzo is more of a between the tackles guy anyway. Clax brings experience and it will good to Marriner on the field. Does Newsome play this year?

6) Does our defense return to dominance? We had a good run under FUCHCRE. BD is a defense guy. I look forward being able to stop people more consistently.

All of the above, but if I had to boil it down to one question running through all six points it would be, what will be the impact of the new coaching staff?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If BYU couldn't handle last year's opening game visit to a 2-10 Virginia whose only other victory was against VMI and Virginia lost to Ball State at home by 21; what makes BYU such a force or it's opening road game this year?
I don't expect BYU to be an insurmountable challenge, especially at home. Just posing a hypothetical situation. Our players do have a new playbook, they have to change their mental outlook from the past 3 years, and they may need more time in the new conditioning system. I think Diaco can get the job done, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are stumbles / WTF losses in year one. If that happens, the response will be interesting. (Maybe "interesting" isn't the right word...)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Your 3/2b. I want to see our OL punch people in 'n mouth, as our good friend @UConnDan97 would say. Everything else falls behind this one for me!

You nailed it!

For me, the big uglies are where games are won and lost. Running game feeds off of it. QBs rely on the time in the pocket. And I really do feel like we have at least 2 and arguably 3 QBs who are capable of doing great things if they get the adequate protection. If this unit can get it together, look for great things to happen this year. Thank God that Foley is in charge of the boys again!!! :cool:

Reaction Score
Biggest question in my mind.....Can the OL 1) have enough big bodies up front to turn it around?, 2) grasp Foley concepts to make it work?,
3) is there enough depth in the OL to make it threw the season?, 4) Can the OL give Casey & Co enough time to throw?, 5) can the OL
develop size/strength wise in the amount of time Diaco has been here, 5) Can they open it up enough up front to give MAX room?
MY ANSWER TO ALL OF THE ABOVE: YES, YES & YES...."In Foley We Trust".....

Reaction Score

1) Will HCBD get buy in from the team? There is a huge culture shift happening. How much the veteran buy in will go along way in determining how well we do this season.

4) Who wins the QB competition? I think it will be Cochran but I excited to see someone emerge.

5) What does our running game look like? Delorenzo is more of a between the tackles guy anyway. Clax brings experience and it will good to Marriner on the field. Does Newsome play this year?

That's your one question? Did Spackler write it for you?

My question is will I see a game this year where all 5 lineman move their targets 3+ yards downfield (or at least in the right direction on the same play). And can they repeat it during the game. I don't care who they do it against at risk of becoming a habit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My biggest question(what I'll be looking to see) is how will Husky Nation respond, both inside of the Rent and outside, if A: The Huskies perform beyond reasonable expectations in the first four games or B: if they struggle in the first four games(struggling enough so that it resembles last year's start). I want to see the fan reaction, local media's treatment of the team and especially the coaches body language which ever way the first 3rd of the season goes. You could tell things were going south just by looking at Coach P. In the face of adversity will Coach D try to rally the troops with pats on the back and sideline pep talks or will he be in peoples faces?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My biggest question is also the OL and their ability to open holes for Max to run through or whoever is carrying the ball. However, I'll also add that I wanna see if the OLine can hold blocks long enough to provide our QB, whoever it is, enough time to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions. Whitmer was pummeled the past two seasons and Cochran did what he could and did it well at the end of last season. However, our OLine was a sieve and our QB's were lucky to come out alive. I really think we could be a passing threat with Davis and others as long as the QB gets time in the pocket.

Reaction Score
How long before we can see an effective 3-4 D?
How much resilience will this team have? (Not get down on themselves if we make a mistake or just get beat on a big play).
Will the BYU game be HCBD's coming out like the 2012 Mich St game for KO?

Reaction Score
Many great questions and I agree the O-line development, QB leadership and control, running game (who our go to guy is, etc.) Have a feeling that our D will keep games tight and my question is will Bobby Puyol become a money kicker for us. Here is what Andrew Callahan had to say about Special teams last Dec.
Special Teams

As you almost assuredly know, both Chad Christen and Cole Wagner are gone for next year.

The only pieces of information we can utilize to project their replacements them are the listed back-ups from 2013's final depth chart: current sophomore Bobby Puyol and redshirt freshman Justin Wain. From the few summer practices I attended, Wain has a tremendous leg, but failed to generate much consistency. He may take in fact take kickoff duties. On the other hand, Puyol will have some competition with his field goals and this should be a battle to watch all summer long.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bobby_puyol_810037.html

Field goal kicking will be critical to having a decent season. Also, will we have a breakaway return man like a Nick Williams this year? Who will that be? Some say perhaps Arkeel Newsome?

Reaction Score
When we will see tangible evidence on the field that what ever took hold of this program the last three years has been driven out.

Reaction Score
Geremy Davis.

Byron Jones.

Obi Melifonwu.

Everything else I have major questions. Thought it'd be less Spackler like to put it this way.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My biggest question(what I'll be looking to see) is how will Husky Nation respond, both inside of the Rent and outside, if A: The Huskies perform beyond reasonable expectations in the first four games or B: if they struggle in the first four games(struggling enough so that it resembles last year's start). I want to see the fan reaction, local media's treatment of the team and especially the coaches body language which ever way the first 3rd of the season goes. You could tell things were going south just by looking at Coach P. In the face of adversity will Coach D try to rally the troops with pats on the back and sideline pep talks or will he be in peoples faces?

1000% agree. My biggest question is attendance at the Rent. What can we do to sellout the place? I know I know...win. But if that doesn't happen, we still will need to sellout the Rent. I'd argue that increasing attendance is almost as important (maybe just as important) as increasing Ws this season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want to see some semblance of game-day competence from the coaching staff. It's been so long. If we can get that, it would be a treat.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
1. Who wins QB job - and which QB will transfer afterwards? If Casey wins the job, which not sure he will, why would Boyle stick around?

2. Is the cupboard still empty? In jest of course because that was an excuse to keep losing for four years. How competitive will we be now that we seem to have coaches who are committed to their profession.

3. Will the PC Richard whistle be gone?? I am hoping yes but as I was told by IMG rep we need that because UConn endowment is bad and doesn't compare to real FB schools like Michigan. Exact words. That won't fly in the Big 10.

4. Will we have real cheerleaders?

5. Is the DJ gone forever?

6. Will tailgaters pick up their trash this year? Abysmal on how the lots look at the end of a game. Should be ashamed of themselves. Doesn't represent the school well at all.

7. Will selling out stadium and Wins get UConn a conference realignment slot? NO

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I want to see competent coaching of players and game management. Proper use of time outs will make me smile and cheer as opposed to screaming at the guy with the worst eyebrows in CT.

Reaction Score
I can't believe people are asking about attendance. That's putting the cart before the horse.

Show some level of competency. Between the lines and on the sidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom