2014 Gabby Williams commits...[ merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2014 Gabby Williams commits...[ merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations on getting Gabby. Personally, I'm not sure she made the best choice if she wants to compete in the Olympics as UConn track and field isn't anything special. She might have been better off at TA&M or Baylor. Hopefully it will work out well for all parties involved. You have a great class shaping up for 2014.
She is in such an INDIVIDUAL event it shouldn't matter where she goes to school. She probably has a personal coach already.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm super psyched we landed this kid. And it came much faster than I thought. I did not catch in the article what other schools she visited - did she get out to Stanford, ASU, and whatever other schools were on her list? I think it's fantastic that after spending a weekend at UCONN, she knew in hear heart where she wanted to be and made it happen. That speaks volumes not only about the way the staff recruits, but also about the kind of kids they really want to get. And Gabby sounds like a great kid with her head on straight, as well as one of the best athletes in the nation and one of the best players in her class! Welcome to the UCONN family Gabby!!

Reaction Score
Where do you think ND is going next year?

The Final Four and maybe win it all if they can beat UConn as they did routinely this year. They lost 3/5 of their starting lineup and are still the number 2 team in the country, next year, they lose Diggins but got a couple of good freshmen, one of them being the Morgan Wooten National Player of the year. So, they will not be chopped liver. UConn is probably the only team that can beat them and that hasn't happen in ages. But I think we will beat them this year when it counts the most, in the FF.

Reaction Score
The Final Four and maybe win it all if they can beat UConn as they did routinely this year. They lost 3/5 of their starting lineup and are still the number 2 team in the country, next year, they lose Diggins but got a couple of good freshmen, one of them being the Morgan Wooten National Player of the year. So, they will not be chopped liver. UConn is probably the only team that can beat them and that hasn't happen in ages. But I think we will beat them this year when it counts the most, in the FF.
Basically Notre Dame was given the 3 overtime game when UConn for some explicable reason couldn't make foul shots. Did Notre Dame play some amazing foul shot defense?????? They were the recipient of good fortune at least twice this year and they know it. The God's were on their side because they didn't BEAT UConn, UConn beat UConn. Something that usually never never happens. Don't make Notre Dame out to be some super super team because they aren't THAT good, though they did surprise a lot of people this season and are almost a lock for the Final Four. They will NOT win the championship this year.

Reaction Score
Basically Notre Dame was given the 3 overtime game when UConn for some explicable reason couldn't make foul shots. Did Notre Dame play some amazing foul shot defense?????? They were the recipient of good fortune at least twice this year and they know it. The God's were on their side because they didn't BEAT UConn, UConn beat UConn. Something that usually never never happens. Don't make Notre Dame out to be some super super team because they aren't THAT good, though they did surprise a lot of people this season and are almost a lock for the Final Four. They will NOT win the championship this year.

Yep, we keep saying that time after time. But beating a team 7 out of 8 times as a underdog is really not luck. You think?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep, we keep saying that time after time. But beating a team 7 out of 8 times as a underdog is really not luck. You think?
Well... they do have the luck of the Irish on their side, not to mention ghastly uniform colors now, and that God-awful bearded dwarf as their mascot...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great news, and Welcome!
I think Geno knows what the Olympics is all about and would be very supportive of any person who has a chance to make the Olympic team, so I am not surprised about his agreeing to a possible red-shirt year.
I also think high jump being such an individual sport and one where you are the only competitor on the 'field' at all times - it is an easier situation for her to train anywhere. She will be surrounded by other world class athletes at Uconn whether they are in T&F or any of the other sports which will help. She will not be the only one making sacrifices for their sport which I think is the hardest part in training alone.

Reaction Score
I've been having computer problems for the last couple of days, so I'm late to this party. But what a party it is!!

Welcome to Husky Nation, Gabby. We're thrilled to have you on board.

Reaction Score
I'll take Wilson, Drummer, and Westbeld as my bigs and then add Calhoun and Rooks to make probably the single greatest recruiting class ever. As unrealistic as an 8 player class is it is nice to dream.
It's not only unrealistic, it's just a plain bad idea. When was the last time a class bigger than 5 worked out well?

Anywhere.

Reaction Score
It's not only unrealistic, it's just a plain bad idea. When was the last time a class bigger than 5 worked out well?

Anywhere.
I agree. The Uconn coaching staff recruiting goal per one of the newspaper blogs was for a class of 5: 3 guards and 2 forwards/bigs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Calhoun is fairly likely but not guaranteed.

We have a good shot at Wilson, especially if Dawn goes to OSU.

I think we are in play with Westbeld.

Not sure about Drummer, Rooks, or the kid from Michigan's UP.

We need height more than Calhoun at this point, but I still want Sierra. We need to add more and not stop at 3. This could be a very, very good class. And a very, very important one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Calhoun is fairly likely but not guaranteed.

We have a good shot at Wilson, especially if Dawn goes to OSU.

I think we are in play with Westbeld.

Not sure about Drummer, Rooks, or the kid from Michigan's UP.

We need height more than Calhoun at this point, but I still want Sierra. We need to add more and not stop at 3. This could be a very, very good class. And a very, very important one.
Totally agree. One thing that really concerned me is the lack of a center after Kiah graduates, but i've noticed against most teams we've played, when Stef is out, Stewie is the 5. You can see that she's gotten stronger during the year and of course she will need to still work on that over the summer, but she certainly can play the 5 on defense when needed against most teams out there.

I think players like Stewie and Wilson could certainly give us enough "size". I'd rather have a strong 5 like Stokes and Dolson on the roster, but maybe we will have to wait till 2015 to add that. If you think about it, there really aren't that many elite 5's out there in WCBB.

One other thing I find interesting is how often people comment that "so and so plays guard/wing/whatever so we probably won't get the other so and so". Teams have to rely on the roster they have. KML can play the 2,3 or 4. Faris has played the 1-4 spots. I could pretty much go over the entire team and point out that each one can "play" at least 2 positions. So I have zero concerns that we have landed 3 guard types as to whether Calhoun would fit in or not. She most certainly would. IMHO the perfect class would include adding Calhoun, Westbeld/Drummer and Wilson.

Lastly, IF Geno were to go after 7 or even 8 (or however many schollies are available), I see no problem with that either. Injuries always have an unfortunate effect of paring down a roster for a season, and historically, the kids who have transferred out weren't ones who were going to get a ton of PT (Sadiq, Phillips, Johnson, Engeln). The lone exception is Walker. She woulda earned a ton of PT if she's stayed...

Reaction Score
IDK about you guys, but im just very excited.. Gabby Williams commitment gurantees Uconn's back court as one of the best, if not arguably the best back court until 2018!! With Moriah in there and Brianna banks, sanya chong, and edwards, this gives us the opportuniity to recruit and get amazing post players. I mean, what post player right now wouldn't want to be in the same sqaud as moriah jefferson, saniya chong, sadie edwards, and now gabby williams( sorry for bad spelling...blame it on the wine) ? :) I'm calling it, watch Aja wilson be the next to commit, along with katie lou samuelson .. :)
I hope you are correct.

Reaction Score
Why is a Samuelson even getting mentioned? Might as well predict the youngest Ogwumike sister to UConn, too. There's no apparent shortage of scholarships to Stanford that would keep Samuelson from matriculating there.

Wilson, Drummer and Calhoun, or even two of the three, would make for an incredible class of players UConn has a realistic shot of recruiting.

Reaction Score
Why is a Samuelson even getting mentioned? Might as well predict the youngest Ogwumike sister to UConn, too. There's no apparent shortage of scholarships to Stanford that would keep Samuelson from matriculating there.

Wilson, Drummer and Calhoun, or even two of the three, would make for an incredible class of players UConn has a realistic shot of recruiting.
Samuelson has expressed the desire to go a route different from her sisters and create her own basketball identity. Among the schools reportedly in the mix are Notre Dame and Uconn.

Reaction Score

Anywhere.

The Tn 6-pack won 2 NCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member