12/5 Notre Dame game without Butler | Page 5 | The Boneyard

12/5 Notre Dame game without Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like other BY posters, I think they had their best chance last year. I would be surprised if this year's ND team is as "potent" as last year's squad. They have no one on their roster that can come close to replacing Jewell Loyd, in terms of production, or leadership. :confused:
I agree. I think one ND poster said that Cabel and Maybry would be the likely 4th and 5th starters? To go along with Allen, Reimer and Turner?

Notwithstanding the athleticism (because I think when really good teams play, teams that are less athletic can overcome it with great spacing and help defense, and ND is one of those really well coached teams - like Stanford - who overcome that fairly easily IMHO). But... how does

Jefferson - Allen
Nurse - Maybry
Williams - Cabel
Stewie - Turner
Tuck - Reimer

How does that lineup when you hold it up side by side make anyone feel like ND has a legit shot? I should rephrase - on paper, UCONN is superior at every position. I'd be disappointed if UCONN won by less than 15.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think one ND poster said that Cabel and Maybry would be the likely 4th and 5th starters? To go along with Allen, Reimer and Turner?

Notwithstanding the athleticism (because I think when really good teams play, teams that are less athletic can overcome it with great spacing and help defense, and ND is one of those really well coached teams - like Stanford - who overcome that fairly easily IMHO). But... how does

Jefferson - Allen
Nurse - Maybry
Williams - Cabel
Stewie - Turner
Tuck - Reimer

How does that lineup when you hold it up side by side make anyone feel like ND has a legit shot? I should rephrase - on paper, UCONN is superior at every position. I'd be disappointed if UCONN won by less than 15.
If you would have told me that a team with Maya, Stef, Bria, Kelly, and Tiff could have lost to ND on a night where Maya scored 35+ I would have said you were crazy. But, it happened and on one of the biggest stages - the final four - so anything's possible.

Reaction Score
Well...this is all moot now. Patberg tore her ACL. So I don't think Allen will be playing much wing.

Also relevant to this thread, sounds like Cable will be the 5th starter. Heard an interview with McGraw and she implied as much (at least the way I heard her).

Sorry to hear this as well. Hopefully she has a speedy recovery. Awful news - feel for all the kids this happens too. Ughhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Jefferson - Allen
Nurse - Maybry
Williams - Cabel
Stewie - Turner
Tuck - Reimer

Great observation. I see UConn winning each one of those matchups. That coupled with the fact that ND will have the pleasure of enjoying OUR hospitality this year. You know the few ND fans that will show up, will be drowned out by the UConn fans.

The UConn faithful will be as loud and raucous as ND's fans were last year when they hosted us.
Gampel pavilion is a tough venue to play in if you're a visitor. There are no welcome mats at the visitor's entrance, and no one will leave a light on for them. ;)

I try to avoid using the term "us" and "we" when referring to UConn. It's hard sometimes because we ALL (UConn fans and supporters) feel like we're a part of the team, when in reality, we're not. Technically, the only ones that can use that term are the players, coaches and alumni.......... as a supporter from another team recently commented. I have to admit, that comment stuck. However..... at times when I'm feeling a little cocky, gregarious and good about myself,
I will throw caution to the wind and use those terms........freely. :)

WE are going to have a lot of fun this season, cheering for OUR team, and watching them play some of the best women's college basketball in the country. IMHO, I think (I'm leaning on the cape and turban on this one) WE are going to have a record setting season this year.

Think about it.....This year's team has the chance to do something that has NEVER been done, and can only come around once every four years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Think about it.....This year's team has the chance to do something that has NEVER been done, and can only come around once every four years.
Someone from our team will be elected POTUS !!? That would be great, because instead of just one room in the White House, we'll have the whole place to ourselves.:)

Reaction Score
ericsandiego said- - - - I think people are underestimating Turner. Horrible 1st half, but let's be honest - she outplayed Stewie in the 2nd half. Played great defense on Stewie and outscored her. I'm not saying Turner is better, but as a freshman, she was just terrific and if she has as sophomore leap, watch out. I also think Allen was much better than I anticipated. Remember, it was fairly even in the 2nd half - UCONN only outscored them by 2.

ericsandiego, that all happened after Stewie severely sprained her ankle in the 1st half and could only play defense! She busted her butt because of the National Championship game!
I think UCONN will win by 20-25 points as ND has only 1 great player, Turner! UCONN has 7, so who covers who?
ND has no-one to cover all Stewie, Tuck, Nurse, MoJeff, Gabby, Chong, KLS, Collier, Boykin (if healthy), Tuck neutralizes Turner, ND hopeless! + UCONN at Gampel!
The Muffett is a pretty good coach but she is no miracle worker!

Reaction Score
I would not underestimate ND. Allen really picked up her offensive game during the tournament last year. She will pick up a lot of the scoring lost by Loyd. Reimer showed toughness and her ability to score. This is a tough match up for Tuck (Granted she can not cover Tuck). You expect Turner to be significantly better and more looked to to be a weapon. I look forward to this match-up with Stewart (I don't see Tuck able to cover Turner effectively). ND will be very solid. I expect them to start slow but by the end of the season will be a formidable opponent. They have been there and done that. They know how to win games. They are our biggest threat. With that said, I still think we are a big favorite.

Reaction Score
The absence of Loyd means that Mo Jet will guard Allen making her a non factor. In the championship game last year, Turner was able to play great in the second half mainly because Stewart was hurt. I want to see how she does against a healthy Breanna Stewart. This game will not be close. UCONN will win by 20 to 25 points.

Reaction Score
I think ND is absolutely terrific. Even when, on paper, they don't seem to have the horses UCONN does, Muffet coaches them incredibly well and they do a bangup job vs. UCONN (most of the time). If nothing else, they outplayed us for 2-3 years with Skyler, but the roles are reversed since Stewie and Mo have been at UCONN.

I think people are underestimating Turner. Horrible 1st half, but let's be honest - she outplayed Stewie in the 2nd half. Played great defense on Stewie and outscored her. I'm not saying Turner is better, but as a freshman, she was just terrific and if she has as sophomore leap, watch out. I also think Allen was much better than I anticipated. Remember, it was fairly even in the 2nd half - UCONN only outscored them by 2.

Sorry, but I'm sick and tired of hearing about Stewie being outplayed by Turner in the 2nd half of the NC game. At the 8:04 mark of the first half, Stewie rolled her ankle badly, quickly had it retaped, got right back in and then sat during halftime (which exacerbated the injury). Her ankle stiffened, swelled and hurt like hell- as a post-game Mechelle Voepel interview noted. And while a jubilant Stewie acknowledged the ankle was hurting bad, and it "looked ugly," she refused to use it as an excuse for her lack of scoring.

I don't underestimate Turner. She is really good, but to say that she was responsible for Stewie's 2nd half lack of offense is not true. Turner didn't shut down Stewie offensively- only Stewie's rolled ankle succeeded in limiting Stewie offensively.

Stewie fought through serious pain and a heavily taped, gimpy ankle that didn't allow her to play even close to her A-game for the final 28 minutes. But the champion that she is, she gritted her teeth, toughed it out and prevailed because that is one incredibly special young woman.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would not underestimate ND. Allen really picked up her offensive game during the tournament last year. She will pick up a lot of the scoring lost by Loyd. Reimer showed toughness and her ability to score. This is a tough match up for Tuck (Granted she can not cover Tuck). You expect Turner to be significantly better and more looked to to be a weapon. I look forward to this match-up with Stewart (I don't see Tuck able to cover Turner effectively). ND will be very solid. I expect them to start slow but by the end of the season will be a formidable opponent. They have been there and done that. They know how to win games. They are our biggest threat. With that said, I still think we are a big favorite.
All the defense matchups favor UCONN. Tuck can cover Turner or Reimer. Stewie can cover Turner or Reimer. Turner can cover either Stewie or Tuck. Reimer can cover neither Stewie nor Tuck effectively.
At the Guard wing position MoJeff & Kia can cover any combination of Mabrey, Cable, or Allen. Mabrey & Cable cannot cover MoJeff.
Since FF of 2013 ND has not had a defender that can cover a healthy Stewie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits