12/5 Notre Dame game without Butler | Page 3 | The Boneyard

12/5 Notre Dame game without Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No disrespect intended-strike that! How spoiled are we as a fans when we can afford to sweat minutes for Briana Pulido in her senior year. I love Brianna but I'm pretty sure she is not sweating her minutes-so why should we? We are "enamored" with the "Gabulous One" (That is a good Moniker by the way) because Gabby (in case you have not noticed ) has put up HISTORICAL levels of efficiency for a UCONN freshmen. Gabby earned every bit of the admiration we have given her.
Saniya gets such short shift because she is at times a defensive liability. Specifically she struggles to stay in from of her person and her rotations and closeouts on long jumpers are often late. Her occasional defensive lapses are correctable because she is a tremendous athlete. What may be harder to correct is the mental carry over to the offensive end of the floor.
Pulido and T have put in a lot of effort and time for this team. If you recall, there have been times when the team was down to just 8 scholarship players. If we gave away some bench minutes to Pulido this year as a tribute to her hard work I'd be OK with that in the same way that Heather Buck got her two minutes in the 2013 title game. Gabby can't shoot free throws or make baskets reliably from more than 5 feet away, so that's a non-starter in my opinion. Maybe she got a lot better over the summer, who knows. If we had Maya or Stewie on the bench, would you consider starting Gabby over either one of them? I don't think I would, and I'm not sure why we would treat KLS any differently. If you've got the best recruit in the country, and you have a spot to stick them, you do it and ask questions later.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby can't shoot free throws or make baskets reliably from more than 5 feet away, so that's a non-starter in my opinion. If we had Maya or Stewie on the bench, would you consider starting Gabby over either one of them? I don't think I would, and I'm not sure why we would treat KLS any differently. If you've got the best recruit in the country, and you have a spot to stick them, you do it and ask questions later.
It is awful funny how you focus on the things that Gabby CAN'T do to justify who starts and refuse to acknowledge the things that Saniya can't do or does poorly.
I hope this was not a serious question:" If we had Maya or Stewie on the bench, would you consider starting Gabby over either one of them? " or that you think KLS is either Maya or Stewie. I also feel compelled to remind you as good as Maya and Stewie were neither started day 1 at UCONN. If we are to continue this debate I have a question for you. Who kept Maya and Stewie out of the starting line up on Day 1 when they were both Freshmen?

Reaction Score
It is awful funny how you focus on the things that Gabby CAN'T do to justify who starts and refuse to acknowledge the things that Saniya can't do or does poorly.
I hope this was not a serious question:" If we had Maya or Stewie on the bench, would you consider starting Gabby over either one of them? " or that you think KLS is either Maya or Stewie. I also feel compelled to remind you as good as Maya and Stewie were neither started day 1 at UCONN. If we are to continue this debate I have a question for you. Who kept Maya and Stewie out of the starting line up on Day 1 when they were both Freshmen?
KLS could be Maya or Stewie. We don't know. All we know is she's the top recruit in the country, often compared to Delle Donne, that everyone wanted the same way Maya and Stewie were wanted, and Geno landed her. We do know that Gabby and Chong are not Maya or Stewie. The more important thing is we need a 3. Who better to play the 3 than the #1 recruit in the country that actually does play that position versus another player that does not or would not be as effective? By the way, Stewie started from day 1. I believe the first game of the 2012-13 season was a blowout of College of Charleston, and I'm pretty sure she started that game alongside Stef, KML, Kelly, and CD. That was the lost Bria year where she had her ankle issues and didn't get going until the second half of the season, so an injury to a projected starter allowed a certain top incoming recruit to start. Sound familiar?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Two things going for her--no longer ND, and on the Canadian National (in Canada they call her people First People or Aborginies--I prefer First People) My 10 multiple Grandma was a First People, most probably Wyndott or Mohawk. I liked that at ND she was a First People, but she was ND--with Diggins.

Really, Aboriginies... sure it is not Indigenous?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Every once and/in (is Kib listening?) a while I like to remind people that I can like a post without agreeing with it. A thoughtful, cogently argued post deserves a like. ;)

Of course I am listening, and you of all people should know that I occasionally bestow a "like" on a thoughtful cogently argued post with which I disagree. ;)

Reaction Score
Really, Aboriginies... sure it is not Indigenous?
No if you read the Canadian history of the First People or their legal descriptions they say First People or Aborigines. Aborigines make me think of Australia. Not my most favorite description.
I, by design, real a lot of Canadian histories, legal acts of the Metis or other First People, Louis Real
(ree Al) a Metis (A French Canadian who married a Native/First People woman)--now loosely attributed those who can trace their heritage back to the "Regiment" or Fil du Roi or both.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
KLS could be Maya or Stewie. We don't know. All we know is she's the top recruit in the country, often compared to Delle Donne, that everyone wanted the same way Maya and Stewie were wanted, and Geno landed her. We do know that Gabby and Chong are not Maya or Stewie. The more important thing is we need a 3. Who better to play the 3 than the #1 recruit in the country that actually does play that position versus another player that does not or would not be as effective? By the way, Stewie started from day 1. I believe the first game of the 2012-13 season was a blowout of College of Charleston, and I'm pretty sure she started that game alongside Stef, KML, Kelly, and CD. That was the lost Bria year where she had her ankle issues and didn't get going until the second half of the season, so an injury to a projected starter allowed a certain top incoming recruit to start. Sound familiar?
KLS could be Maya or Stewie- still does mean she gets to start in this situation.
We do know that Gabby and Chong are not Maya or Stewie- I'm not worried about that, I like both as they are and the role they play at UCONN.
Who better to play the 3 than the #1 recruit in the country that actually does play that position versus another player that does not or would not be as effective?
Well for starters I like the person who played the 3 for UCONN a lot last year-Tuck. We also have a pretty good recruit coming in that can play the 3 -last name is Collier. Gabby could play some 3. Boykin can play some 3.
KLS may very well be the best choice for starting at the 3-I predicted that. If she is the starter it will be because she has earned it. If she earns it it will be well earned and not because she was the #1 in the class. Not even South Carolina was silly enough to do what you are suggesting when they got the #1 recruit last year. Yea I can see it now Geno and Dawn both saying, "We have a starting spot open since you KLS and A'ja were #1 in the class that spot is yours".

Reaction Score
KLS could be Maya or Stewie- still does mean she gets to start in this situation.
We do know that Gabby and Chong are not Maya or Stewie- I'm not worried about that, I like both as they are and the role they play at UCONN.
Who better to play the 3 than the #1 recruit in the country that actually does play that position versus another player that does not or would not be as effective?
Well for starters I like the person who played the 3 for UCONN a lot last year-Tuck. We also have a pretty good recruit coming in that can play the 3 -last name is Collier. Gabby could play some 3. Boykin can play some 3.
KLS may very well be the best choice for starting at the 3-I predicted that. If she is the starter it will be because she has earned it. If she earns it it will be well earned and not because she was the #1 in the class. Not even South Carolina was silly enough to do what you are suggesting when they got the #1 recruit last year. Yea I can see it now Geno and Dawn both saying, "We have a starting spot open since you KLS and A'ja were #1 in the class that spot is yours".
Tuck was not the 3 last year. She was the 5. Basically our center. A spot that Butler would occupy if she weren't injured. The ironic thing is if Butler did start it would create some chaos in the starting line up. Tuck would have to slide over to the 3 in order to remain in the starting line up. Or maybe she goes to the 4 and Stewie is the 3. I do think people overestimate the earning it in practice thing. I mean if you were to look at it statistically, eventually someone that's not a highly regarded recruit but practices hard would start, but that never seems to be the case at UConn does it? The easy answer is that Geno starts the most skilled players, like every other coach in America, and not the ones who necessarily practice the hardest. Go take a look at the starting lineups over the past five years. There's some striking consistency there. Do you honestly believe that not one of those players were ever surpassed by someone in practice? The relatively large sample size tells me even a bench player outplays a starter in practice every now and again, and maybe more often than you'd want to believe, so why not a sample of starting line ups to match reality? Because Geno plays the best kids. Always has, always will, despite what sounds good on teevee.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tuck was not the 3 last year. She was the 5. Basically our center. A spot that Butler would occupy if she weren't injured. The ironic thing is if Butler did start it would create some chaos in the starting line up. Tuck would have to slide over to the 3 in order to remain in the starting line up. Or maybe she goes to the 4 and Stewie is the 3. I do think people overestimate the earning it in practice thing. I mean if you were to look at it statistically, eventually someone that's not a highly regarded recruit but practices hard would start, but that never seems to be the case at UConn does it? The easy answer is that Geno starts the most skilled players, like every other coach in America, and not the ones who necessarily practice the hardest. Go take a look at the starting lineups over the past five years. There's some striking consistency there. Do you honestly believe that not one of those players were ever surpassed by someone in practice? The relatively large sample size tells me even a bench player outplays a starter in practice every now and again, and maybe more often than you'd want to believe, so why not a sample of starting line ups to match reality? Because Geno plays the best kids. Always has, always will, despite what sounds good on teevee.
Geno plays the best kids, the best kids are those that are most skilled, work the hardest in practice, & perform in games- regardless of where they where ranked in a HS class. See Stephanie Dolson's picture right next to the definition of best and consult Tina Charles about the importance of working hard in practice.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True, but Tuck was a bench player while Achonwa was a starter. The analog to the Achonwa loss would have been us losing Stef. Anyone think we win that game without Stef? Maybe we would have, but it would have been too close for my comfort.
Tuck would not have been a bench player in her sophomore year if she had not been hurt.

Reaction Score
Tuck would not have been a bench player in her sophomore year if she had not been hurt.
Really? So which one of our starters in Stef (SR), Stewie (SO), Bria (SR), Mo (SO), and KML (JR) would you have sat for Tuck in the 2014 title game? We're spoiled. Only on our team would someone like Tuck come off the bench. Then again, we've had Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore come off the bench, so I guess it's not unprecedented.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Pulido and T have put in a lot of effort and time for this team. If you recall, there have been times when the team was down to just 8 scholarship players. If we gave away some bench minutes to Pulido this year as a tribute to her hard work I'd be OK with that in the same way that Heather Buck got her two minutes in the 2013 title game. Gabby can't shoot free throws or make baskets reliably from more than 5 feet away, so that's a non-starter in my opinion. Maybe she got a lot better over the summer, who knows. If we had Maya or Stewie on the bench, would you consider starting Gabby over either one of them? I don't think I would, and I'm not sure why we would treat KLS any differently. If you've got the best recruit in the country, and you have a spot to stick them, you do it and ask questions later.

Gabby does shoot free throws, she just needs to start making more. KLS is not necessarily the BEST recruit in the country. She was the highest RATED recruit in MOST polls. Some polls had her second. Gabby and Edwards were rated higher than Nurse in high school, but look what happened.

Reaction Score
Undoubtedly a player like Butler might be missed against ND, but she's not critical there. She will likely be more important against very big teams like South Carolina, which is why I'm glad that game is in February. :)

Reaction Score
I can't remember a more interesting preseason or more cogently argued threads about who, when, where and why of starters and player positions. And no proverbial fist fights that I can recall. Is this a sign of maturity... or exhaustion?
Hey Rock - Totally agree. Perhaps it was like Joe Friday said, "Just the facts Mam, just the facts." Maybe a little old school--Less style & more substance.

Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit worried about the December 5th game with ND without Natalie. UCONN brings back 4 of the 5 players that started the championship game. The fifth starter for the game will in all probability be Katie Lou since she is 6'3 and a great outside shooter. I love Gabby, but she is an inside player and until she improves her outside shooting she should not start.

Reaction Score
UCONN will be victorious, but it will be a tremendous boost to Butler's psychological well being. When she plays, she will be a shining star among the other shining stars!!

Reaction Score
"This is the city - Los Angeles, California. Five million sun-baked people with half-baked ideas. Some of those ideas are illegal. That's where I come in. My name is Joe Friday. I carry a badge."

"Just the facts ma'm".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UCONN will be victorious, but it will be a tremendous boost to Butler's psychological well being. When she plays, she will be a shining star among the other shining stars!!

Then, you know what we can say, don't you? Wait for it. Wait, it will be worth it. The Butler did it! :p:cool::oops:...:rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"This is the city - Los Angeles, California. Five million sun-baked people with half-baked ideas. Some of those ideas are illegal. That's where I come in. My name is Joe Friday. I carry a badge."

And someone in that series went on to become part of one of the most popular sitcoms of a different era. Who was he in what series for $20 dollars? Remember, say the secret word and the Quack comes down with $. No, no, Groucho was not in Dragnet. Just practicing "tangents" in anticipation of the season

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
And someone in that series went on to become part of one of the most popular sitcoms of a different era. Who was he in what series for $20 dollars? Remember, say the secret word and the Quack comes down with $. No, no, Groucho was not in Dragnet. Just practicing "tangents" in anticipation of the season
Buddy Ebsen, Beverly Hillbillies. Also played in Davy Crockett.

Reaction Score

Harry Morgan, MASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits