“What Duke was, UConn is” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“What Duke was, UConn is”

Reaction Score
So I read an article that 2024 Top 5 recruit V.J. Edgecombe is expected to announce his decision in a week or two and Duke is the overwhelming favorite. We are in his final 10, but he didn't take an official to UConn. I really want this kid to be a Husky. I don't get these superstars all wanting to go to the same school in the same class. There's only one ball. We just won the national championship, could do it again, Dukies don't do well in the NBA, yet the Dukies are getting all the top rated recruits. Do we have any shot with Edgecombe?

Reaction Score
So I read an article that 2024 Top 5 recruit V.J. Edgecombe is expected to announce his decision in a week or two and Duke is the overwhelming favorite. We are in his final 10, but he didn't take an official to UConn. I really want this kid to be a Husky. I don't get these superstars all wanting to go to the same school in the same class. There's only one ball. We just won the national championship, could do it again, Dukies don't do well in the NBA, yet the Dukies are getting all the top rated recruits. Do we have any shot with Edgecombe?
At this point probably not, but I’d wager that Scheyer will be gone in 2 years, we’ll have #6 and will have surpassed dook as the program of choice for top recruits who aren’t afraid of a Hurley practice.

Reaction Score
No

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Which article. The last I read he was waiting till the end of the season. I think Duke will probably have 4 guards on their team next fall. I think we'll probably have 3, or four if we hit the portal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Curious what people think of this quote. For context, Tate Frazier (formerly of Titus & Tate) said on his new podcast, One Shining Pod, how UConn is at the top of the sport right now with Hurley and that we are basically looking like the Duke of the 1990’s. Some of our fans on twitter were getting mad that he compared us to Duke, saying “UConn is UConn” - which I agree with - but I took it as a compliment, and a funny slight to Duke for saying they’re now a bunch of has-beens.
Only one coach has a NC at Duke.
compared to three different coaches at UConn which puts us with programs like Kentucky , UNC and Kansas .
There are a multiple programs with 2 different coaches, Indiana , UCLA, Nova , NCS and a few more but not Duke .
My conclusion is there a one Coach aberration .

Reaction Score
What UCLA was, UConn is!

Shout out to the old farts on the board.
Um, no. I'm an "old fart" and UConn - really, no team - will repeat what John Wooden did with Kareem and Bill Walton. They won seven consecutive titles. They were two of the most dominant college players ever, and had great teams around them.

Reaction Score
Um, no. I'm an "old fart" and UConn - really, no team - will repeat what John Wooden did with Kareem and Bill Walton. They won seven consecutive titles. They were two of the most dominant college players ever, and had great teams around them.

They had to win two games to make the final four and Sam Gilbert bought UCLA an all-star team every year. It certainly won't be repeated but it was also an entirely different era of college basketball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Duke has had more NBA success than us by a landslide. Let’s stick to negging on their creepy baby and cringy fans.

Reaction Score
Duke has had more NBA success than us by a landslide. Let’s stick to negging on their creepy baby and cringy fans.
Grant Hill....and Zion??? :)

I'd say they had more draft picks crash and burn. I'll take Ray, Rip, Rudy, Cliff and Kemba over Duke all day long.

Reaction Score
Grant Hill....and Zion??? :)

I'd say they had more draft picks crash and burn. I'll take Ray, Rip, Rudy, Cliff and Kemba over Duke all day long.

C'mon. You can debate how many "developed" at Duke or were just babysat for a year but this is a pretty bad take. There were something like 25 Duke guys on Rosters on opening night this year. Brandon Ingram, Tatum, Kyrie, RJ Barrett, Reddish, Bagley, Jalen Johnson, Tyus Jones etc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
TBF we haven't had a ton of players doing well in the NBA, I don't think that is a point for us in that debate
So Duke gets credit for Kyrie and Zion? They barely played while they were there. The only thing either got from Duke was a bad knee.

Reaction Score
So Duke gets credit for Kyrie and Zion? They barely played while they were there. The only thing either got from Duke was a bad knee.
Would we not take credit for our one and dones? I don't want to speak well of Duke, so I'm gonna refrain from listing their players.

Reaction Score
They had to win two games to make the final four and Sam Gilbert bought UCLA an all-star team every year. It certainly won't be repeated but it was also an entirely different era of college basketball.
And the two games they had to win were actually against teams from the Western part of the US, and that region did not have the depth of teams that the East, Southeast, and Midwest did.

They were regularly beating teams like a Russell-less San Francisco and a Baylor-less Seattle for Final Four trips. Wyoming, Pacific, New Mexico State, Santa Clara, Long Beach State, Utah State, BYU, Weber State: these were the types of teams they were abusing to get to the Final Four.

Not like these UCLA teams weren't fantastic, but they basically got a pass into the Final Four up until early expansion in the mid-1970s. You look at Final AP rankings and what teams in other regions had to go through—just to get into the damn tournament because their conferences were so good relative to UCLA's Pac 8—and you get a sense of just how much easier they had it.

Reaction Score
C'mon. You can debate how many "developed" at Duke or were just babysat for a year but this is a pretty bad take. There were something like 25 Duke guys on Rosters on opening night this year. Brandon Ingram, Tatum, Kyrie, RJ Barrett, Reddish, Bagley, Jalen Johnson, Tyus Jones etc.
And the guy I watched put up 36 points on the Celtics today.

Reaction Score
Duke. Many 5 stars ultimately succeed and play in the NBA. This is not news.

Reaction Score
The general insecurity and touchiness is hilarious on this board. The Duke comparison is a compliment, relax. And yes, Duke has had much more success placing guys in the NBA than the good guys.

I hate Duke as much as anyone but you can hate someone and respect what they’ve done (unlike Boeheim/Cuse, for instance). The whole “rah rah we do it our way” schtick is cringeworthy

Reaction Score
The general insecurity and touchiness is hilarious on this board. The Duke comparison is a compliment, relax. And yes, Duke has had much more success placing guys in the NBA than the good guys.

I hate Duke as much as anyone but you can hate someone and respect what they’ve done (unlike Boeheim/Cuse, for instance). The whole “rah rah we do it our way” schtick is cringeworthy
Overall I agree, the comparison doesn't bother me at all. But the source of the quote himself said it was not a compliment and he said it to get both fan bases mad

Reaction Score
Neither player was #1 from HS coming into college (in RSCI or 247 composite) and then went #1 in the draft.

So yes, Duke gets credit for them.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Kareem was 88-2 in college. Walton was 73-0. Even if the tournament had more teams, they wouldn't have been beaten.

Reaction Score
Neither player was #1 from HS coming into college (in RSCI or 247 composite) and then went #1 in the draft.

So yes, Duke gets credit for them.
I agree with the sentiment but don’t like that example you gave considering Kyrie & Zion were rated by ESPN number 3 & number 2 respectively coming out of HS lol- with that said as I stated first they should still get credit for one & dones.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment but don’t like that example you gave considering Kyrie & Zion were rated by ESPN number 3 & number 2 respectively coming out of HS lol- with that said as I stated first they should still get credit for one & dones.
When I was on the newspaper they called that burying the lede.

Reaction Score
Drummond was also a #2 yeah?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom