“What Duke was, UConn is” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“What Duke was, UConn is”

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Well, blue devil is what some Samoyed fans think of mascot is

Reaction Score
We‘ve got the same number of titles without as high level recruits. Not to say we are little sisters of the poor in that regard but imagine if our level rises. I wouldn’t want to lose out on players like Karajan or Sanogo though.

Reaction Score
I believe many here want to know,... What kind of IPA's do they drink at Dook? And do they have decent New Haven style pizza??

Reaction Score
And yet, the top ranked recruit STILL goes to Duke despite all this. I'd say Duke has a ways to go to sink far enough for UConn to objectively pass them by

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
What UCLA was, UConn is!

Shout out to the old farts on the board.
Never say never but I don't see another UCLA run in men's college basketball ever again. I will take two in row though;)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Nah... I don't hate us yet.
1000002826.jpg

Reaction Score
Duke was hyped up long before they deserved it.

UConn is finally being hyped up, long, long after they earned it.
John Feinstein's book 'The Legends Club' (about K, Smith and Jimmy V) takes you through the history of those 3 programs- Duke's history before K is crazy, because they were actually good way before K, so there definitely was some precedent for their program, like you said.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I apologize to all of you posters before me, I have not read one post. Not even the original post.

The verbiage of the title is enough for me to form a hopefully cogent comment. (And I hope is a redundant comment.)

The idea of being what Duke was is totally reprehensible to me.

Why would you even want to set a low bar by copying someone else.

Go beyond. Be something new. Be something fresh. Be original.

Reaction Score
I apologize to all of you posters before me, I have not read one post. Not even the original post.

The verbiage of the title is enough for me to form a hopefully cogent comment. (And I hope is a redundant comment.)

Well that was like a wet fart in a phone booth! Everyone just funnin'!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Typical Yarder. Admits to not reading thread but that doesn't stop the drivel.

Reaction Score
It was probably 20+ years ago, but I remember a thread about reviewing books and movies we hadn't read or seen. It was fun.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Typical Yarder. Admits to not reading thread but that doesn't stop the drivel.
Atypical Yarder didn't read the opening apology that indicates my understanding the inappropriate nature of responding before indulging and then deems to correct me for what I obviously already know. Some drivel from Mr. Positive.

Reaction Score
UConn will never be what Duke was until the student sections sit immediately behind the benches.
If you think that’s gonna happen at the XL Center then let me know if you’re interested in a Kia I’m trying to sell.

Reaction Score
The two programs couldn't be any more different.

Coach K and his predecessor IMO did less with more, while JC and his predecessors have done more with less.

Dook gets infinity more top ranked recruiting classes than UConn but has often been bounced earlier than their seeding dictates, not to mention losing 6 out of their 11 appearances in the championship game. Considering how many Burger-AAs and other highly ranked recruits they've landed, you'd expect more tournament success than they've achieved. I'm pretty confident if JC had landed just a handful more highly ranked recruits, how many additional NCs he would have netted during his time here.

Also take into account how many of those highly ranked Dook recruits either didn't improve much, some transferring to other programs, and many not getting a sniff in the NBA, compared to the improvement we've seen with both a handful of highly ranked recruits and many unheralded ones that no one imagined making it to the NBA, but did.

I've always wanted to see if someone could apply some quantitative analysis, taking into account the rankings of the players for each year and calculated against how far they advanced in the NCAA tournament. I'm pretty confident that the results would favor UConn over Dook, and likely over any program since 1999.

UConn is a unique highly successful program with very little comparison to Dook or any of the other blue blood programs (UNC, UK, KU, Zona, etc.) that consistently pull in highly ranked recruiting classes just about every year but unable to cut down the nets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guys,

One HUGE difference to consider that is truly relevant now.

Duke's a Top Ten national university with an $11.5 BILLION DOLLAR endowment.

UConn's a public school with a $550 MILLION DOLLAR endowment, low for publics.

How will that HUGE difference serve the Huskies in this new competitive age of professional college basketball & competing for talent in the transfer portal & providing NIL bucks?

That's a critical difference, especially given how cheap Connecticut's legislature is with UConn. We are scrappy & love to take down blue blood programs, of which, Duke has been since the late 50's! But do we have the bucks & commitment to compete with other blue-blood's EVERY YEAR?

Father Demo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom