“What Duke was, UConn is” | The Boneyard

“What Duke was, UConn is”

Reaction Score
Curious what people think of this quote. For context, Tate Frazier (formerly of Titus & Tate) said on his new podcast, One Shining Pod, how UConn is at the top of the sport right now with Hurley and that we are basically looking like the Duke of the 1990’s. Some of our fans on twitter were getting mad that he compared us to Duke, saying “UConn is UConn” - which I agree with - but I took it as a compliment, and a funny slight to Duke for saying they’re now a bunch of has-beens.

Reaction Score
Curious what people think of this quote. For context, Tate Frazier (formerly of Titus & Tate) said on his new podcast, One Shining Pod, how UConn is at the top of the sport right now with Hurley and that we are basically looking like the Duke of the 1990’s. Some of our fans on twitter were getting mad that he compared us to Duke, saying “UConn is UConn” - which I agree with - but I took it as a compliment, and a funny slight to Duke for saying they’re now a bunch of has-beens.
I love this. But I buy the demise of Duke as much as I bought the demise of us. They'll never go away

Reaction Score
I think Rod Sellers would angrily object to that comparison.

Attachments

• sellersr.gif
    sellersr.gif
    380.3 KB · Views: 99

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What UCLA was, UConn is!

Shout out to the old farts on the board.
As an old fart, some young farts (can young people be called “farts”?) are so sweet in their exuberance. We are good, but just a little distance from UCLA status (I know you were kidding) which no program will ever come close to unless transfers and early NBA departures go away. As far as Duke of the 90s goes, i think 2 years ago the BY was ready to trash Hurley, even last January. I thought old people were the ones with memory issues. But it is nice to be compared with dynasties. I’m just glad we are UConn.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The comp is that we’ve achieved an awful lot of success in a relatively short window compared to the old money programs.

The failure of analogy is Duke’s success with a few final four exceptions occurring under K, and ours spanning 3 coaches. There is a lot more potential energy in our current status to blow well past what Duke has achieved if they are in fact “in the clubhouse” as the quote implies.

That said, whatever.

Reaction Score
he's a UNC fan. i couldnt consume enough college bball content last march and thats when i realized he might know even less about bball than gary parrish. baffling how he got a show on the ringer.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Creepy baby's gonna have to give Cooper a hug.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love this. But I buy the demise of Duke as much as I bought the demise of us. They'll never go away
Different sport, but they said the same thing about Manchester United. After the legendary head man retired, they became part of the common ruck and stayed there. Even though their fans talk like success is their birthright.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Love all the national compliments we’ve received recently. Hate any association with Duke or being like Duke. The only way I’d compare us to Duke, is the way opposing fans hate our annoying coach. But we’ve surpassed this type of comparison already.

Reaction Score
Ewww, imagine losing more than half of your national title game appearances

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom