“Retiring” Butler AD is Big East Rep on Selection Committee 2 More Seasons | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“Retiring” Butler AD is Big East Rep on Selection Committee 2 More Seasons

Reaction Score
My issue with Ackerman is her response to the committee's overlooking all but the top three schools in her conference. It came across as appeasement and cut the legs out from under the coaches that publicly criticized the committee. My interpretation was that her response basically said “please forgive us for comments some of our coaches made”. It sounds like she is so worried that those in charge will marginalize us even further, she feels she needs to demonstrate gratitude for the few crumbs that they left us.

I did hear the comment on “No team that won thirteen games in a major conference was excluded” and I also heard one yesterday on how “Creighton has been a quality program for a mid-major”. My only gripe on a school being excluded was Seton Hall as not only did they have a very good record in a conference where six games were against schools that are still playing (and the selection committee saw fit to seed one, two and three), the only games they lost out of conference were to power conference schools.

St John’s, Providence and maybe Villanova can throw a few complaints out about not being selected but I imagine if each did a bit better out of conference it would have helped not only their chances, but it would have improved the overall image of the conference as a whole.

If her comment on working with member schools to prevent repeating what happened this year is based on demanding legitimate improvement, great. That is what is needed. If it leads schools to try to start gaming the NET, thinking that will help, it will be a waste of time as the goalposts will always be moving in a manner that will favor other conferences.
1 team left from the Mountain West that got 6 bids while all 3 bids from the Big East are alive with a 6-0 record.

Reaction Score
Chief, with all due respect (and I have plenty of it for you), Val is a powerhouse in her leadership of the the BE.

Many of you did not pay very close attention during your purgatory in the AAC, but when the C7 split the BE, she was there. When FOX/BE were making a media deal, she was on the point. When they said the BE was dead, she kept it an elite conference. When the B10 and ACC came to try to claim MSG, she outmaneuvered them both and secured a long extension. When UConn needed to get out of the AAC, she made that deal happen in a way that highly benefited the BE (while making it a win-win for both sides). There's plenty she has done that made this conference what it is today.

No, she doesn't go on stage and vociferously pounds the table and whines that people should pay attention to the BE and give us everything we deserve. Leave that to others. No. She works people, makes the play out of the public eye, she out maneuvers those who get in her way without throwing a public tantrum. This woman is deadly and most importantly she gets things done.

But hey, you want an Aresco type, by all means. We can see how well that worked out for the AAC.
Hi Val! Welcome to the Boneyard!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom