“Retiring” Butler AD is Big East Rep on Selection Committee 2 More Seasons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Retiring” Butler AD is Big East Rep on Selection Committee 2 More Seasons

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
barry collier, salute to you good sir
Thank U Reaction GIF by BROCKHAMPTON

Reaction Score
What appeared to be clear to me was that a) the committe refused to acknowledge that the ACC was as bad this year as they truly were (mediocre on a level I never could have previously imagined) and they refused to acknowledge that the Big East (outside of the top three teams) was a legitimate major conference (which for the most part it was). This is something we should be very concerned with.

Yes we do. Sadly (by the official response) it appears that the leadership is so worried that if they don't play nice, those in charge will take away rthe few scraps they leave for the conference, they are unwilling to ruffle any feathers.

The four teams that made the BET final four and the team that finished fourth in regular season conference play all warranted bids (and seeding ahead of UVA).

This is the one thing that doesn't bother me. In fact, part of me wishes they had tried to stack the deck even further to our disadvantage, giggled amongst themselves saying "We got them. They'll never make it through this gauntlet" only to be disapponted when we march through the bracker like Sherman through the south.
Obviously, I hope you are right, but it is
hard to understand how increasing the degree of game difficulty improves outcomes. Because it is such a dream season sometimes I think we may forget how difficult it is to repeat - you not only need to be good but you need to be lucky too with officiating, injuries, shooting, etc. I don’t understand how reducing our expected margin of victory doesn’t hurt us, when some of these variables go negative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Barry Collier announced his retirement in Nov 2023 effective April 2024. That's what I read. Surely they will have to find a replacement, no? How can they have someone who is not even a representative of that a school in the conference on the selection committee.
Bizarre as it sounds, it is a three year term. I too hope that after this total disaster, some face saving narrative can be developed where he resigns from the Selection Committtee to spend more time with his family or whatever BS excuse they can agree on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The SEC has Alabama’s AD, the ACC has UNC’s AD. The BE can do better
It is a very important position and we need someone talented, hard working and a person who can influence others. It should never be a 3 year retirement gift.

Reaction Score
Part of me wonders if this is more lobbying or laziness inside the committee room. If you look at the seeding and the teams who made it outside the auto bids, it fits much more in line with what seeding would’ve looked like before all the tournaments were played. Iowa state, auburn, FAU, and Dayton being a few prime examples. PC (who sucks and shouldn’t be in the tournament IMO) and St John’s both helped their cases in the big east tourney, but it’s Seton Hall that is the only one in the first four out.

That’s not to say I don’t believe there’s not any lobbying going on in there given how corrupt the NCAA has proven to be time and time again.

Reaction Score
Did the BE get screwed by the committee? Absolutely. But take some solace in the fact that given the shifting landscape, my sense is we won't be in the BE for much longer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did the BE get screwed by the committee? Absolutely. But take some solace in the fact that given the shifting landscape, my sense is we won't be in the BE for much longer.
Not this again, Nos.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So we’re saying UConn was murdered by the Butler in the NCAA conference roof with a basketball hoop.

Reaction Score
Are the committee members to lazy/ignorant to understand the difference between the Big East schedule where all teams play each other twice vs the ACC where quirky scheduling has UVA playing the 5 top teams in the standings (Duke, UNC, Pitt, Clemson and Syracuse) only once, allowing them to stack up wins against the mid and low level talent.

Reaction Score
Part of me wonders if this is more lobbying or laziness inside the committee room. If you look at the seeding and the teams who made it outside the auto bids, it fits much more in line with what seeding would’ve looked like before all the tournaments were played. Iowa state, auburn, FAU, and Dayton being a few prime examples. PC (who sucks and shouldn’t be in the tournament IMO) and St John’s both helped their cases in the big east tourney, but it’s Seton Hall that is the only one in the first four out.

That’s not to say I don’t believe there’s not any lobbying going on in there given how corrupt the NCAA has proven to be time and time again.
I agree lots of signs laziness was a huge factor. And that’s unforgivable given how hard players and coaches work all year long. If these committee members don’t want to interrupt their weekend - don’t take on the responsible and prestige of being on the committee.

Reaction Score
Are the committee members to lazy/ignorant to understand the difference between the Big East schedule where all teams play each other twice vs the ACC where quirky scheduling has UVA playing the 5 top teams in the standings (Duke, UNC, Pitt, Clemson and Syracuse) only once, allowing them to stack up wins against the mid and low level talent.

The more I process this, the greater the role of laziness and ignorance come into play, which to me makes it even more unforgivable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe I read the following here but I don't think so. But if so, it bears repeating.

Someone asked a committee member, "How could you leave a 13-7 team from a power conference out of the tournament?"

Answer: "There were no 13-7 teams from a power conference"

Reaction Score

Maybe Val is better than we know. Look, UConn, Creighton and Marquette are batting 1.000 in the tourney as expected. 3 bubble teams facing those 3 powers twice during the season should account for something whether it is reflected in the NET or not. The idiots on the committee should try following college basketball. But she is right, screaming at the top of her lungs is going to get us bupkis.

Reaction Score
Maybe Val is better than we know. Look, UConn, Creighton and Marquette are batting 1.000 in the tourney as expected. 3 bubble teams facing those 3 powers twice during the season should account for something whether it is reflected in the NET or not. The idiots on the committee should try following college basketball. But she is right, screaming at the top of her lungs is going to get us bupkis.
There are plenty of analytical/critical thinking points she can make without “screaming at the top of her lungs”. If she is looking for some magic formula that will explain the product of laziness and ignorance, good luck!
Anyone who heard the committee chairman in interviews knows they were in over their heads and were too lazy to do their job the right way when late upsets happened.
But, if she is waiting for the answer, she is not going to get a truthful one / it is too embarrassing and the N.C.A.A. is in cover-up mode.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are plenty of analytical/critical thinking points she can make without “screaming at the top of her lungs”. If she is looking for some magic formula that will explain the product of laziness and ignorance, good luck!
Anyone who heard the committee chairman in interviews knows they were in over their heads and were too lazy to do their job the right way when late upsets happened.
But, if she iis waiting for the answer, she is not going to get a truthful one / it is too embarrassing and the N.C.A.A. is in cover-up mode.
Exactly! If Ackerman doesn't understand the difference between screaming at the top of her lungs and going out in publicly talking about the analytics which actually favored the three excluded Big East teams that is extraordinarily concerning. Her demeanor and public statements are essentially "well we will try harder" rather than repeatedly saying "we think the committee got it wrong". The latter is every other commissioner in America would be doing.

On the other hand, Dan Hurley gets it:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chief, with all due respect (and I have plenty of it for you), Val is a powerhouse in her leadership of the the BE.

Many of you did not pay very close attention during your purgatory in the AAC, but when the C7 split the BE, she was there. When FOX/BE were making a media deal, she was on the point. When they said the BE was dead, she kept it an elite conference. When the B10 and ACC came to try to claim MSG, she outmaneuvered them both and secured a long extension. When UConn needed to get out of the AAC, she made that deal happen in a way that highly benefited the BE (while making it a win-win for both sides). There's plenty she has done that made this conference what it is today.

No, she doesn't go on stage and vociferously pounds the table and whines that people should pay attention to the BE and give us everything we deserve. Leave that to others. No. She works people, makes the play out of the public eye, she out maneuvers those who get in her way without throwing a public tantrum. This woman is deadly and most importantly she gets things done.

But hey, you want an Aresco type, by all means. We can see how well that worked out for the AAC.

Reaction Score
Maybe I read the following here but I don't think so. But if so, it bears repeating.

Someone asked a committee member, "How could you leave a 13-7 team from a power conference out of the tournament?"

Answer: "There were no 13-7 teams from a power conference"
Whoa. That is a direct shot fired that needs a response beyond the milquetoast (not "milk toast," idiots) statement put out by the Commissioner.

Reaction Score
Chief, with all due respect (and I have plenty of it for you), Val is a powerhouse in her leadership of the the BE.

Many of you did not pay very close attention during your purgatory in the AAC, but when the C7 split the BE, she was there. When FOX/BE were making a media deal, she was on the point. When they said the BE was dead, she kept it an elite conference. When the B10 and ACC came to try to claim MSG, she outmaneuvered them both and secured a long extension. When UConn needed to get out of the AAC, she made that deal happen in a way that highly benefited the BE (while making it a win-win for both sides). There's plenty she has done that made this conference what it is today.

No, she doesn't go on stage and vociferously pounds the table and whines that people should pay attention to the BE and give us everything we deserve. Leave that to others. No. She works people, makes the play out of the public eye, she out maneuvers those who get in her way without throwing a public tantrum. This woman is deadly and most importantly she gets things done.

But hey, you want an Aresco type, by all means. We can see how well that worked out for the AAC.

I agree. She has a very a good track record from the start.

I know she must we working behind the scenes to ensure the success of the Big East.

The next big step is the new TV contract. Lets see how this one goes

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My issue with Ackerman is her response to the committee's overlooking all but the top three schools in her conference. It came across as appeasement and cut the legs out from under the coaches that publicly criticized the committee. My interpretation was that her response basically said “please forgive us for comments some of our coaches made”. It sounds like she is so worried that those in charge will marginalize us even further, she feels she needs to demonstrate gratitude for the few crumbs that they left us.

I did hear the comment on “No team that won thirteen games in a major conference was excluded” and I also heard one yesterday on how “Creighton has been a quality program for a mid-major”. My only gripe on a school being excluded was Seton Hall as not only did they have a very good record in a conference where six games were against schools that are still playing (and the selection committee saw fit to seed one, two and three), the only games they lost out of conference were to power conference schools.

St John’s, Providence and maybe Villanova can throw a few complaints out about not being selected but I imagine if each did a bit better out of conference it would have helped not only their chances, but it would have improved the overall image of the conference as a whole.

If her comment on working with member schools to prevent repeating what happened this year is based on demanding legitimate improvement, great. That is what is needed. If it leads schools to try to start gaming the NET, thinking that will help, it will be a waste of time as the goalposts will always be moving in a manner that will favor other conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Mike are the only two choices 1) " to pound the table like Aresco", or 2) to sheepishly say "we'll try harder next time"? Because I feel like there's a whole world of opportunity between those two extremes.

For what it's worth Aresco never actually pounded the table he just sat in the corner and mumbled "P6" repeatedly. If anything, Aresco is a great example of why beta leadership inevitably leads to failure.

Reaction Score

You made about as positive case for Val as someone could - so congrats for that Herculean effort.
She did not out maneuver anyone, with 3 worthy teams sitting on the outside looking in. Val and her hand picked representative have cost its membership lots of money. She has been saved the last several years by two exceptional coaches, who she had nothing to do with hiring and who won three and hopefully soon 4 championships.
There was talk about other teams doing their Championship in NYC but it never made geographic sense.
I doubt after the selection fiasco that the Big East will get what it deserves on the TV contract. Perhaps if all 3 teams make the, it can become a media narrative that might help the brand but to give Val credit for that is beyond belief.

Have you watched how UConn Big East games get officiated the last few years? Where is the Commissioner to restore professionalism in officiating?

And how does a strong commissioner allow tampering of a member’s coach by another Big East school starting in mid season and clearly impacting the record of the team - and do nothing but bless that behavior. Of course, I am referring to Georgetown romancing Cooley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom