“Retiring” Butler AD is Big East Rep on Selection Committee 2 More Seasons | The Boneyard

“Retiring” Butler AD is Big East Rep on Selection Committee 2 More Seasons

Reaction Score
I have confirmed UConnJim’s nightmare scenario that the “retiring” Butler AD is on the MBB Selection Committee 2 more seasons. Both him and Val Ackerman, who created this nightmare, need to resign or be terminated ASAP. The Big East will not survive either tenure, if allowed. Write the college President at this point.
IMG_5360.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think the Big East disrespect narrative is a little overblown at this point, but I'm inclined to agree that he should step down. Even something as simple as "three Big East teams were in the first four out" would have been enough to show a little bit of respect to the conference, but they have St. John's as like the 19th team out after they finished top 25 on KP.

Reaction Score
The Big East more than the other conferences needs to have an aggressive approach to the tournament committees. The revenue from the tournament for BE teams is a much higher % of total revenue than the larger conferences. The appointment to the committee shouldn't be treated like a "gold watch" retirement gift.

Reaction Score
Not sure why I can’t reply to your post @Chief00, but I hope your donations are large enough to get some traction with the pres
I think it’s got to be about public pressure at this point. Who knows how much this unnecessary circus has deflated the new TV contract? Never mind the loss of tournament revenue? But, more than anything else it is damage to the brand.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
People work so hard…..and this…..just not right
According to Pitino - his team doesn't work hard
Also, who really cares what happens to any other team besides one which a family member plays or UConn?
Bottom line - UConn remaining in the NBE is the travesty.

Reaction Score
We got the most screwed with 4 of the 6 top conference Champions in our bracket. All 4 were in the top ten vs. 6 teams in the top 10 for the other 3 brackets, so on average the 3 brackets had 2 top 10 teams but the East had 4, or twice as many. Yet, the over-all #1 seed is suppose to be rewarded with the easiest bracket. Crazy and Lazy committee.

Reaction Score
We got the most screwed with 4 of the 6 top conference Champions in our bracket. All 4 were in the top ten vs. 6 teams in the top 10 for the other 3 brackets, so on average the 3 brackets had 2 top 10 teams but the East had 4, or twice as many. Yet, the over-all #1 seed is suppose to be rewarded with the easiest bracket. Crazy and Lazy committee.
I think it’s a little more involved than just crazy and lazy. All the other conferences play football ( $$$). I don’t think anyone gives a flying fk about the Beast. And don’t think the “power” conferences want to have to answer why the crown jewel of men’s and women’s basketball is languishing in a college version of the CYO. It doesn’t make the decision makers who decide conference realignment look good especially when there are so many other schools raking in way more money than UConn and winning nothing. Kinda like the good old boys club, and there’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever for UConn to be where they are. I’ve been following college basketball “ UConn “since I was 10 and I’ve never seen the overall #1 team come close to getting screwed as bad as we just did. At least the talking heads at ESPN are talking nonstop about this. It’s been 100% criticism about the brackets.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
he Big East could not have been more disrespected. It's rock bottom bad

ST John's >>>>>>>>>>>>> VA in every metric known to mankind, and St John's would arguably be the best team in the 6 bid Mountain West

Metrics, eye test, talent, coaching and strong finish (something the women's chairperson actually cited for them, so don't give me that the bfinish doesn;t matter poppycock, that's nerd talk)... the biggest problem for St John's is that they had to play us three times

Then the stumbling bumbling idiots put the best 1, the best 2, the best 3 and the best 4 seeds in the same bracket. They should all be publically humiliated

I hate cheaters and cheating and / or incompetence. And I have no respect for nerd speak

Reaction Score
The 4 teams that made the BET Final 4 should have all made the NCAAs and Creighton would have been 5. Its beyond ridiculous what happened and then there was our bracket. Val and the Butler rep at the committee got depantsed on a national stage. The BE statement was beyond weak. The BE needs a new leader.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a little more involved than just crazy and lazy. All the other conferences play football ( $$$). I don’t think anyone gives a flying fk about the Beast. And don’t think the “power” conferences want to have to answer why the crown jewel of men’s and women’s basketball is languishing in a college version of the CYO. It doesn’t make the decision makers who decide conference realignment look good especially when there are so many other schools raking in way more money than UConn and winning nothing. Kinda like the good old boys club, and there’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever for UConn to be where they are. I’ve been following college basketball “ UConn “since I was 10 and I’ve never seen the overall #1 team come close to getting screwed as bad as we just did. At least the talking heads at ESPN are talking nonstop about this. It’s been 100% criticism about the brackets.
It strikes at the integrity of the game. And you still have to explain the Mountain West getting 6 bids while the Big East got 3. Virginia is such a stretch using any possible metric. You can’t do this poor a job of you tried. But, Ackerman used the Big East Selection Committee Rep slot as a retirement gift - so she should be shown the door now! She disrespected every coach, player and fan in her conference, never mind the loss of revenue.

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned with the marketing of the Big East. Some of you may not like this comment, but Aresco was a huge advocate for the AAC. He invented the term P6 which got some traction and he talked to anybody with a mic to promote the league. I have to say, I'm really disappointed in Ackerman.

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned with the marketing of the Big East. Some of you may not like this comment, but Aresco was a huge advocate for the AAC. He invented the term P6 which got some traction and he talked to anybody with a mic to promote the league. I have to say, I'm really disappointed in Ackerman.
So much of the league marketing is history and nostalgia, much of which involves programs who are no longer here.

The league is good! Promote what we have now!

Reaction Score
1 - We (the BE) got out outmaneuvered and outworked in the selection committee room. We got owned.
2 - The BE sucks at marketing it's premier product.
3 - Our Commish never saw this coming due to the fact that we don't have to play ruthless hardball around football.
Yes, and how many times can Val Ackerman get out maneuvered and out work before there are consequences?

DCT

Reaction Score
According to Pitino - his team doesn't work hard
Also, who really cares what happens to any other team besides one which a family member plays or UConn?
Bottom line - UConn remaining in the NBE is the travesty.
Big East makes more money based on games played, less teams in less money for Big East.

Reaction Score

I was convinced the AAC wasn’t going to stick around for very long as soon as it was announced. Everything from the name, schools and general mood of the public made it feel like it was a thrown together temporary landing spot to deal with the realignment. Given the situation it is remarkable how Aresco has kept that sinking ship floating for so long.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think the Big East disrespect narrative is a little overblown at this point, but I'm inclined to agree that he should step down. Even something as simple as "three Big East teams were in the first four out" would have been enough to show a little bit of respect to the conference, but they have St. John's as like the 19th team out after they finished top 25 on KP.
What appeared to be clear to me was that a) the committe refused to acknowledge that the ACC was as bad this year as they truly were (mediocre on a level I never could have previously imagined) and they refused to acknowledge that the Big East (outside of the top three teams) was a legitimate major conference (which for the most part it was). This is something we should be very concerned with.

The Big East more than the other conferences needs to have an aggressive approach to the tournament committees. The revenue from the tournament for BE teams is a much higher % of total revenue than the larger conferences. The appointment to the committee shouldn't be treated like a "gold watch" retirement gift.
Yes we do. Sadly (by the official response) it appears that the leadership is so worried that if they don't play nice, those in charge will take away rthe few scraps they leave for the conference, they are unwilling to ruffle any feathers.

The 4 teams that made the BET Final 4 should have all made the NCAAs and Creighton would have been 5. Its beyond ridiculous what happened and then there was our bracket. Val and the Butler rep at the committee got depantsed on a national stage. The BE statement was beyond weak. The BE needs a new leader.
The four teams that made the BET final four and the team that finished fourth in regular season conference play all warranted bids (and seeding ahead of UVA).

This is the one thing that doesn't bother me. In fact, part of me wishes they had tried to stack the deck even further to our disadvantage, giggled amongst themselves saying "We got them. They'll never make it through this gauntlet" only to be disapponted when we march through the bracker like Sherman through the south.

Reaction Score
So much of the league marketing is history and nostalgia, much of which involves programs who are no longer here.

The league is good! Promote what we have now!
Expanding on my thought:

How often during BE broadcasts do you hear, like, Gus Johnson lament "man, Syracuse really should get back in this conference" rather than talking about how Creighton and Marquette are perennial top 15 teams, how Villanova dominated the sport for 6-7 years and then passed the torch to UConn.

So much of Big East coverage is about the 80s and 90s instead of now. It's embarrassing, frankly, and it doesn't need to be. This league isn't like Indiana or UCLA reliving the glory days as they fade into irrelevance today.

Reaction Score
Not sure why I can’t reply to your post @Chief00, but I hope your donations are large enough to get some traction with the pres
I also couldn’t reply. Don’t count on a response from the president of the university. I sent an email asking why a student organization was involved with vandalism in a Connecticut town. Crickets

Reaction Score
Barry Collier announced his retirement in Nov 2023 effective April 2024. That's what I read. Surely they will have to find a replacement, no? How can they have someone who is not even a representative of that a school in the conference on the selection committee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom