Zona Postgame | The Boneyard

Zona Postgame

Reaction Score
Got your groove back? You lost by 15 and gave up in the last 5 minutes!

Aside from only having 5 assists and far too many turnovers, it was a very solid effort. The outcome was still in doubt until the closing minutes. This was more of a 5 point game than 15 point game. Lots to work on still, but a much better showing than the struggles against the cupcakes.

Reaction Score
Aside from only having 5 assists and far too many turnovers, it was a very solid effort. The outcome was still in doubt until the closing minutes. This was more of a 5 point game than 15 point game. Lots to work on still, but a much better showing than the struggles against the cupcakes.
Arizona was rusty in the first half with their center out or else we lose by 25.

Reaction Score
Arizona was rusty in the first half with their center out or else we lose by 25.

Here's the problem I have with this, it's just as easy to say if they go 3-10 in the 2nd half from 3 we win right?

The staff had a nice plan on Ayton, frustrated him into a charge and another foul so that's part of the game plan and it gave us a chance. Others will copy that now on Ayton I would guess. They went 7-10 in the 2nd half that's why they won pretty much, as well as our inability to take care of the ball.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Here's the problem I have with this, it's just as easy to say if they go 3-10 in the 2nd half from 3 we win right?

The staff had a nice plan on Ayton, frustrated him into a charge and another foul so that's part of the game plan and it gave us a chance. Others will copy that now on Ayton I would guess. They went 7-10 in the 2nd half that's why they won pretty much, as well as our inability to take care of the ball.
And a least a couple of those 3s were desperation end of shot clock launches

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This was a perfect reflection of where this team is right now.

Unreliable leadership.
No go to offensive sets
Over reliance on ball screen drives
And choking at key moments.

I thought this was their best game to date and still all AZ had to do was double the ball and wait for us to breakdown on offense and defense.

The only new wrinkle was Larrier driving in from the side. We really could use a guy like their center.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This was a perfect reflection of where this team is right now.

Unreliable leadership.
No go to offensive sets
Over reliance on ball screen drives
And choking at key moments.

I thought this was their best game to date and still all AZ had to do was double the ball and wait for us to breakdown on offense and defense.

The only new wrinkle was Larrier driving in from the side. We really could use a guy like their center.
We could use the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft? Hot takes.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

In the first half I think they played Ayton. He went to the bench and started playing with his hair. We were rebounding damn good. It was the other guy that wreaked havoc. Pinznic? To lazy to look it up again. Guy couldn't miss. Our boys played him in the face and he still goes off. Again tw0 straight 3's and numerous visits to the charity stripes did us in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We could use the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft? Hot takes.

Just the truth. We have 3 guys in Larrier, Adams and Vital who are all essentially the same player. Have the same game, and the same weaknesses. They all play at the same time. Structurally that is not a recipe for success. We continue to have personnel issues as the main reason for losing.

Where is our spot up shooter, our interior defender and rebounder, where is the guy who can actually get all the way to the rim to score the ball and if not make both FT's, with the occasional and-one?

We have 3 guys who can get to the lane, but can't dish and only lob floaters that don't convert nearly enough, get to line nearly enough, and miss too many when they do. Any one of them would be a fine second fiddle. We need a lead dog and the other pieces noted above. Until then, you will see what you'e been seeing.

Was last night's effort good enough to beat Arkansas and cover the mid majors, probably but we need to be better than that.

Reaction Score
In the first half I think they played Ayton. He went to the bench and started playing with his hair. We were rebounding damn good. It was the other guy that wreaked havoc. Pinznic? To lazy to look it up again. Guy couldn't miss. Our boys played him in the face and he still goes off. Again tw0 straight 3's and numerous visits to the charity stripes did us in.

Ristic (sp?) was really good for them. I mean twin tower effect was going to be tough on our size despite what Bruce Pearl thinks. We could only hope to double one (Ayton) and hope the other didn't go off or someone could handle him off the ball, they didn't do a great job, fouled too much as we all know too. But they competed last night for sure, good to see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes the defensive effort was better and we hung with them for 35 minutes, BUT we had too many empty offensive possessions with bad shots, the wrong guys taking shots, or just dumb turnovers (i.e. trying to drive through 3 people) to win the game.

Defensively WE NEED to start better anticipating guarding open threats from 3 while the ball is in the air, and stop reacting to shooters after the fact once it is too late. At least 4 of the 3s they hit in the 2nd half including the last one fall into this category. Take those 12 points away and we at a minimum have a good away loss for RPI calculations and at best an upset road win vs a Top 25 team, instead we had a teasing disappointment once again. Go back on watch video of those 3s and see how our guys wait until the ball is in the shooters hand to go check them instead of heading that way while the ball is in the air. I had to keep rewinding because I couldn't believe what I was seeing especially on the last one - Jalen Adams totally misplayed that. Also can Diarra put his hands up when Ayton is taking a shot in his face - another costly head scratcher.

Reaction Score
Yes the defensive effort was better and we hung with them for 35 minutes, BUT we had too many empty offensive possessions with bad shots, the wrong guys taking shots, or just dumb turnovers (i.e. trying to drive through 3 people) to win the game.

Defensively WE NEED to start better anticipating guarding open threats from 3 while the ball is in the air, and stop reacting to shooters after the fact once it is too late. At least 4 of the 3s they hit in the 2nd half including the last one fall into this category. Take those 12 points away and we at a minimum have a good away loss for RPI calculations and at best an upset road win vs a Top 25 team, instead we had a teasing disappointment once again. Go back on watch video of those 3s and see how our guys wait until the ball is in the shooters hand to go check them instead of heading that way while the ball is in the air. I had to keep rewinding because I couldn't believe what I was seeing especially on the last one - Jalen Adams totally misplayed that. Also can Diarra put his hands up when Ayton is taking a shot in his face - another costly head scratcher.

2 of the 3's were off of Ayton passes I believe, one was because they doubled too far from the basket. Experience on that one was an issue because they actually did what they worked on for a week but they didn't want them to double that far from the basket. They did get a hand in the face in the majority and one that was open he can shoot all day as far as I'm concerned that would be the Aikins 25 footer - give that to him wide open all night. I agree with you but at the same time a guy like Aikins (sp?) would rather you come get him at the 3 point line and then he will go by you and get to the basket which is the better part of his game. When you put the plan together you'd rather have him shoot the 3 than have him create going to the rim. On the other hand Triere is 44% from 3 so you need to be in his jock.

Hey they were better and played hard down there, but now they need to play smarter.

Reaction Score
There is an amazing confidence with this group when they talk to the media, no idea where it comes from but they've been talking National Championship since before the season started.

Reaction Score
There is an amazing confidence with this group when they talk to the media, no idea where it comes from but they've been talking National Championship since before the season started.

I agree I'd prefer to hear what you guys expect:

Media: "Christian why do you think you lost this game"

Vital: "Because our coach never prepares us for any games, we run an NBA offense that doesn't work for our group..well that's if we even run offense...and we just aren't that good. We're hoping to come in 5th again in the AAC but at least get an NIT bid this year"

LOL whacked!

Reaction Score
2 of the 3's were off of Ayton passes I believe, one was because they doubled too far from the basket. Experience on that one was an issue because they actually did what they worked on for a week but they didn't want them to double that far from the basket. They did get a hand in the face in the majority and one that was open he can shoot all day as far as I'm concerned that would be the Aikins 25 footer - give that to him wide open all night. I agree with you but at the same time a guy like Aikins (sp?) would rather you come get him at the 3 point line and then he will go by you and get to the basket which is the better part of his game. When you put the plan together you'd rather have him shoot the 3 than have him create going to the rim. On the other hand Triere is 44% from 3 so you need to be in his jock.

Hey they were better and played hard down there, but now they need to play smarter.

All I'm saying is move while the ball is in the air to the threat - not after they catch it (because as we have clearly seen that doesn't work). They were late too many times getting to the spot where the ball was going when they didn't have to be.

Reaction Score
Is this good or bad in your opinion lol. Genuinely asking

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom