Zion Turner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zion Turner

Reaction Score
We finally threw the ball down the field today.

Clercius is the real deal.
I have been disappointed that Clercius hasn't been more productive this year, until this game. Maybe we just haven't thrown the ball in his direction enough. I thought he was our second best receiver last year. He has pretty good speed, great hands and good size. It so great to see him have a big game.

Reaction Score
First half the offense struggled mightily. The trick play pass to Clercius was not a great toss... but during the second half it felt like a whole different ball-game. There was a credible threat to pass the ball, which ultimately helped spring Houston on a couple of big runs, Zion showed some confidence and I was ecstatic about the play calls that let Zion find Joly in the middle of the field. More of that and you could see Zion take some big steps forward in his development, regardless of what Mora said in the presser, this finish will do wonders for his confidence and more confidence in what he's doing and less "thinking about what I should be doing" will only help his performance.

Reaction Score
Kids can develop and improve. Also, there are a lot of ways for a QB to move the ball in today's game. One thing is for sure, if it doesn't work out, it won't be because he doesn't work at it, and it won't be because he is overwhelmed.
I'm not saying he doesn't work at it. I am saying that it's probably stupid to get expect a kid who has never thrown for much at QB to become someone who throws it when they have harder competition.

Reaction Score
There have been so many negatives spoken about ZT this year, but so many people refuse to acknowledge the positives. It has driven me crazy in the game threads.

The kid has an arm. Anyone who thinks he doesn't wasn't paying attention until today. He's had his moments in every game, it's just that he was now able to complete some. There were quite a few drops or poorly run routes on deep balls in previous games that people ignored to fit their narrative.

He manages the game really well. Have we had more than 1-2 delay of games this year? I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong. He can milk the clock to 1s and still get the play off, even when changes are coming in with 10s from the sideline.

He hasn't seemed phased at any point during a game. He actually seems to play better when the reins come off.

The kid isn't perfect. He's not supposed to be. He's a true freshman coming to UConn. But there is a lot to like and it's gross how people have talked about him. He has SO much to work on. But he's got years to fix things. Maybe someone comes along and takes the starting spot from him, but for now he's the QB and we should appreciate the good things he brings to this team.
nobody and I mean nobody, was hating on true freshman Jack Zergiotis this way. He sucked and all people would talk about were his once-per-game dimes to Cam Ross

Reaction Score
I think 120-200 YPG should be the expected range for Zion and it's not even too bad of a thing to say. We have a good run game.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he doesn't work at it. I am saying that it's probably stupid to get expect a kid who has never thrown for much at QB to become someone who throws it when they have harder competition.
What?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What was learned is if you allow the receivers to make plays they generally can.

That hadn't been true most of this season so far. WR's had been real bad winning 50/50 balls.

Reaction Score
Google "Zion Turner high school stats"...4900 yards in 39 games.
Your statement was that we can expect no more than the same performance at UConn than in Turner's HS career. So you need a helluva lot more data than that from just one college freshman six games into his career. Let me guess, a non STEM major, as Dilbert said recently?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There have been so many negatives spoken about ZT this year, but so many people refuse to acknowledge the positives. It has driven me crazy in the game threads.

The kid has an arm. Anyone who thinks he doesn't wasn't paying attention until today. He's had his moments in every game, it's just that he was now able to complete some. There were quite a few drops or poorly run routes on deep balls in previous games that people ignored to fit their narrative.

He manages the game really well. Have we had more than 1-2 delay of games this year? I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong. He can milk the clock to 1s and still get the play off, even when changes are coming in with 10s from the sideline.

He hasn't seemed phased at any point during a game. He actually seems to play better when the reins come off.

The kid isn't perfect. He's not supposed to be. He's a true freshman coming to UConn. But there is a lot to like and it's gross how people have talked about him. He has SO much to work on. But he's got years to fix things. Maybe someone comes along and takes the starting spot from him, but for now he's the QB and we should appreciate the good things he brings to this team.

I mentioned a few times in the game threads and in a couple of these topics Turner hunts for the sidelines when he takes off running. Several times this year he intentionally went straight sideways to get out of bounds to avoid any contact. And more than once turning up field and sliding or taking a hit would have gotten 2-3 more yards which were valuable yard type plays- say setting up 3rd and 4 instead of 3rd and 7. I am becoming convinced the coaches don't want him taking unnecessary contact. On the last drive when he kept it and ran up the middle. He initiated the contact with the LB and DB and drove them back and extra 3-4 yards after contact. He has the strength to do that, I just don't think the coaches want him doing it until he has to do it.

He's now gone three games and 60 passes without an INT. He definitely does not force the ball and you are correct he isn't phased or overwhelmed getting off snaps. It seemed like the last drive the coaches told him to win the game instead of managing the game.

Reaction Score
The delta between this thread and UConn Twitter during the game is awe inspiring and shows the lunacy of sports. That being said, who gives a flying F? LLLLLFFFFFGGGGG HUSKIES! Great game Zion. What a sneak!

Reaction Score
I mentioned a few times in the game threads and in a couple of these topics Turner hunts for the sidelines when he takes off running. Several times this year he intentionally went straight sideways to get out of bounds to avoid any contact. And more than once turning up field and sliding or taking a hit would have gotten 2-3 more yards which were valuable yard type plays- say setting up 3rd and 4 instead of 3rd and 7. I am becoming convinced the coaches don't want him taking unnecessary contact. On the last drive when he kept it and ran up the middle. He initiated the contact with the LB and DB and drove them back and extra 3-4 yards after contact. He has the strength to do that, I just don't think the coaches want him doing it until he has to do it.

He's now gone three games and 60 passes without an INT. He definitely does not force the ball and you are correct he isn't phased or overwhelmed getting off snaps. It seemed like the last drive the coaches told him to win the game instead of managing the game.
Everyone seems to struggle to accept the fact that WE ONLY HAVE ONE HEALTHY QUARTERBACK, and it was entirely rational to have a game plan that avoided taking risk with him getting hit in games we have no chance to win anyway.

Until Tyler P is really healthy enough to go, or Millen’s shoulder allows him not just to play but throw with any accuracy, Zion is going to avoid risks. He has to.

Reaction Score
We saw him throw deep today, and I’m not talking about the trick play, so that’s a positive. What I really liked was the QB draw for 10-12 yards. Need more of that. The long run called back, was nice too.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We saw him throw deep today, and I’m not talking about the trick play, so that’s a positive. What I really liked was the QB draw for 10-12 yards. Need more of that. The long run called back, was nice too.
Throw was where it needed to be but it was so nice to see Clercius make the contested play.

Reaction Score
Let's not get crazy. The kid threw for like 120 yards a game in high school. He is not going to throw for 400 yards in college. You should expect about the same amount of yards he threw today as his standard yardage.
Well, he obviously had other weapons on his HS teams... they did win 3 straight Florida class championships with him as qb.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Everyone seems to struggle to accept the fact that WE ONLY HAVE ONE HEALTHY QUARTERBACK, and it was entirely rational to have a game plan that avoided taking risk with him getting hit in games we have no chance to win anyway.

Until Tyler P is really healthy enough to go, or Millen’s shoulder allows him not just to play but throw with any accuracy, Zion is going to avoid risks. He has to.

He doesn't even try to take it up field and slide.

Lord knows how many QB's have gotten their bell rung when they slide and an LB or DB comes flying in and hits the helmet. Plus, you have the chance of a leg injury when you slide.

Even though the play was called back for holding, his long run on the scramble almost seemed to light up a bulb in his head telling him he can do this at the college level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom