Zion Turner | The Boneyard

Zion Turner

Reaction Score
I'm a believer in this kid. I saw him play enough down here to know he won't be shaken by a big stage. Just needs experience and some polish to his game, and the team will be in very good hands at the QB position.

Reaction Score
He just isn't ready because he's a kid but he doesn't suck, there's actually quite a bit of talent there.

He's not a slashing dual threat speedster type of QB I think many thought we were getting. Instead he's a small pocket passer and despite the numbers this season he's a legit arm talent. Being thrown into the fire out of need has been unfair to him. With the injuries he hasn't had receivers who can get open, and he hasn't had his star running back to shoulder some of the burden....He's had to learn on the fly against teams that are way better and way bigger/more athletically talented than UConn.

Today, they opened the playbook a bit more and he showed some of what he has on that 95 yard drive to win the game.

I've been as frustrated as everyone else but I took note of the deep ball he possesses early on in the season. The kid throws the best deep ball we've probably seen here since Orlovsky, with more talent around him I'm confident we would see more of his arm talent.

Reaction Score
He just isn't ready because he's a kid but he doesn't suck, there's actually quite a bit of talent there.

He's not a slashing dual threat speedster type of QB I think many thought we were getting. Instead he's a small pocket passer and despite the numbers this season he's a legit arm talent. Being thrown into the fire out of need has been unfair to him. With the injuries he hasn't had receivers who can get open, and he hasn't had his star running back to shoulder some of the burden....He's had to learn on the fly against teams that are way better and way bigger/more athletically talented than UConn.

Today, they opened the playbook a bit more and he showed some of what he has on that 95 yard drive to win the game.

I've been as frustrated as everyone else but I took note of the deep ball he possesses early on in the season. The kid throws the best deep ball we've probably seen here since Orlovsky, with more talent around him I'm confident we would see more of his arm talent.

He made some game-changing plays today and really brought it when needed. Definitely has something there that proved the doubters like me wrong... Hope he continues to grow. The end of this game he was a lot of fun to watch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

95 yard drive in 4th qtr???? Do we call this "The Drive" ala Elway at Cleveland???

Reaction Score

I said that to my kids about the deep throws, can’t remember a catchable long ball that didn’t look like it was a dying goose from our QB in many years , let alone 2 in one game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's the staff telling him to do it but he definitely has a tendency to find the sidelines instead of fighting for yards downfield. At least until the 4th qtr today. He is big enough to take a good hit but he is a true frosh who can't take a bunch of good shots.

Reaction Score
Let's not get crazy. The kid threw for like 120 yards a game in high school. He is not going to throw for 400 yards in college. You should expect about the same amount of yards he threw today as his standard yardage.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t good until crunch time. He really got it going and his confidence was palpable. Heck of a clutch performance. I’m feeling better about him now. Maybe he just needed to come out of his shell.
I don't think the coaches wanted him to run the ball until the 2nd half today when it looked like UConn could win. Turner's QB draw totally caught Fresno's D off guard. If he keeps the D honest by running occasionally, the offense will have more opportunities.

Reaction Score
He made some nice plays today. I said somewhere that true freshman quarterbacks who have talent at some point show it. It may not show up all the time. Second half today he finally showed something. I agree with superjohn that he is more of a pocket passer. The oline deserves kudus for giving him pretty solid protection along the way, too.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm ecstatic for Zion and the team. This could be a turning point victory for this season but it doesn't make the season. It's a victory that not many counted on and this adds another checkmark in season victories to 95% of prognosticators in the BY. Now they have to go out, build on this and beat the teams they need to beat and maybe steal another to make it a good initial season for Mora and the team
I am not convinced that Zion is the QB of the next 4 years but if he keeps improving I will be happy to eat crow,
Congrats UConn and lets keep the mojo going.

Reaction Score
Let's not get crazy. The kid threw for like 120 yards a game in high school. He is not going to throw for 400 yards in college. You should expect about the same amount of yards he threw today as his standard yardage.
Kids can develop and improve. Also, there are a lot of ways for a QB to move the ball in today's game. One thing is for sure, if it doesn't work out, it won't be because he doesn't work at it, and it won't be because he is overwhelmed.

Reaction Score
You should expect about the same amount of yards he threw today as his standard yardage.
An interesting theory. Do you have data that would support it, or a citation, perhaps?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There have been so many negatives spoken about ZT this year, but so many people refuse to acknowledge the positives. It has driven me crazy in the game threads.

The kid has an arm. Anyone who thinks he doesn't wasn't paying attention until today. He's had his moments in every game, it's just that he was now able to complete some. There were quite a few drops or poorly run routes on deep balls in previous games that people ignored to fit their narrative.

He manages the game really well. Have we had more than 1-2 delay of games this year? I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong. He can milk the clock to 1s and still get the play off, even when changes are coming in with 10s from the sideline.

He hasn't seemed phased at any point during a game. He actually seems to play better when the reins come off.

The kid isn't perfect. He's not supposed to be. He's a true freshman coming to UConn. But there is a lot to like and it's gross how people have talked about him. He has SO much to work on. But he's got years to fix things. Maybe someone comes along and takes the starting spot from him, but for now he's the QB and we should appreciate the good things he brings to this team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom