Zion Turner | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zion Turner

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's not get crazy. The kid threw for like 120 yards a game in high school. He is not going to throw for 400 yards in college. You should expect about the same amount of yards he threw today as his standard yardage.
You mean players don't get better?

Reaction Score
Millen has not shown he can throw effectively, I doubt his shoulder is 100% or ever will get back to his pre-surgery level. Puma must still be less than 100%. Should Turner get hurt, we will be in a really bad spot.

Reaction Score
I don't think the coaches wanted him to run the ball until the 2nd half today when it looked like UConn could win. Turner's QB draw totally caught Fresno's D off guard. If he keeps the D honest by running occasionally, the offense will have more opportunities.

I agree, it seemed as though he was told " we want you to start running now" and those runs along with the deep pass to Clercius changed the game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Going on the road this week to Miami to play FIU. I would expect Zion and the rest of the south Florida Huskies to have plenty of family and friends in the stands.
Good recruiting opportunity when his buddies see him having success.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, he obviously had other weapons on his HS teams... they did win 3 straight Florida class championships with him as qb.
These guys were on Zion’s team last year. I didn’t look up everyone because they’re all listed on recruiting sites and it would take all day. It might be easier to list who isn’t being recruited.

Reaction Score
Your statement was that we can expect no more than the same performance at UConn than in Turner's HS career. So you need a helluva lot more data than that from just one college freshman six games into his career. Let me guess, a non STEM major, as Dilbert said recently?
It's very odd that someone would bring such a thing up as being STEM or not stem as having a more valid opinion. And it's a pretty poor guess btw, but expected based on what you have written....so here goes just for you...undergrad Math/stat and Econ major and grad Data Science from top school. Currently I predict human performance for one of the largest companies in the world. Since you brought it up, what are your credentials in all of this?

Reaction Score
You mean players don't get better?
Usually when making the jump to college they get worse, which is why you have so many high school kids with awesome stats that never get an offer or make it in college.

And I'm not saying he won't be a great QB, but I'm saying expecting him to become someone who regularly throws for a lot every game is maybe not the best expectation to have.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's not like college recruiting is largely based on those or anything.
You think college recruiting is largely based on high school stats?

Reaction Score
It's very odd that someone would bring such a thing up as being STEM or not stem as having a more valid opinion. And it's a pretty poor guess btw, but expected based on what you have written....so here goes just for you...undergrad Math/stat and Econ major and grad Data Science from top school. Currently I predict human performance for one of the largest companies in the world. Since you brought it up, what are your credentials in all of this?
You gave a single datum point in a situation where literally hundreds would have been required to support the assertion you made. So credentials don't really figure into this discussion. But I would be happy to take the discussion that way if pressed.

Reaction Score
You gave a single datum point in a situation where literally hundreds would have been required to support the assertion you made. So credentials don't really figure into this discussion. But I would be happy to take the discussion that way if pressed.
You took it to credentials by saying you thought I was not a STEM etc and therefore I knew nothing, Dilbert or whatever. I have seen you do the whole credential thing and STEM thing in other chats and quite frankly it's idiotic. I am well aware that you are an engineer. There is a very good reason that engineers make up very close to zero percent of the people in my business, which is predicting human performance. They lack the ability to understand and interpret data in a practical way when it comes to humans. Surprisingly, this is not what you are doing here, but rather you are taking the data and just arbitrarily assuming that this kid can throw, even though he has never shown that ability in his entire career. And to come at someone with zero data points in your pocket and claim that they have no point, when every single game of the guys career points to he can't throw, and to say the opposite as gospel, well that is the exact opposite of what a real engineer would do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Usually when making the jump to college they get worse, which is why you have so many high school kids with awesome stats that never get an offer or make it in college.
But we're talking about a player who is already starting.

Reaction Score

And I'm not saying he won't be a great QB, but I'm saying expecting him to become someone who regularly throws for a lot every game is maybe not the best expectation to have.
Do they also get worse when they make the jump from college to the NFL? Great stats in college but can’t cut it in the pros? When you say “worse” I think you’re using a bad choice of words, it implies a loss of their skill set. A better word to be used here is “overwhelmed”, a young QB can easily be overwhelmed when making the jump from high school to college or from college to the pros, but in this case experience or learning the ropes, so to speak, is the best teacher and that’s why talented kids do get better with time.

Reaction Score
You took it to credentials by saying you thought I was not a STEM etc and therefore I knew nothing, Dilbert or whatever. I have seen you do the whole credential thing and STEM thing in other chats and quite frankly it's idiotic. I am well aware that you are an engineer. There is a very good reason that engineers make up very close to zero percent of the people in my business, which is predicting human performance. They lack the ability to understand and interpret data in a practical way when it comes to humans. Surprisingly, this is not what you are doing here, but rather you are taking the data and just arbitrarily assuming that this kid can throw, even though he has never shown that ability in his entire career. And to come at someone with zero data points in your pocket and claim that they have no point, when every single game of the guys career points to he can't throw, and to say the opposite as gospel, well that is the exact opposite of what a real engineer would do.
I took no position on ZT. Rather I challenged your assertion that QB's can be expected to perform no better in college than in HS. I asked you for data or a citation to support that assertion and you literally gave us ZT's HS stats which amount to a single datum of a QB six games into his freshman season. Now step back for a moment and admit that you did not understand the point being made (I have personally done this many times in my life), or if you did then you have not answered the challenge which requires a statistically significant amount of data and a half year of ZT's emergency tenure at QB as a frosh ain't that.

Reaction Score
These guys were on Zion’s team last year. I didn’t look up everyone because they’re all listed on recruiting sites and it would take all day. It might be easier to list who isn’t being recruited.

Wouldn't it be great if he went to James Madison?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom