Zergiotis starter moving forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zergiotis starter moving forward

Reaction Score
I find this curious for several reasons. One MB has a win under his belt and two he didn't play poorly but they nutered him because his 2 best receivers were out. Wouldn't you want to see what he could do with Brown and Ross on the field? I mean after all he did win the job out of camp for a reason at least see what he can do with his 2 main guys out there. Also I strongly felt Jack Zergiotis got lucky more then once on completions where his receivers bailed him out with great catches. Also he had a few more that should have been picks, but were dropped. And I thought he picked the wrong read a few times. I did not see any of this out of MB last week sans the pick 6.

Reaction Score
A1

Definitely. Both Brian and Pindell would be very good with this bunch too. It was weird watching Uconn throwing successful so many times today.

Agreed. And that is a sad recollection of UConn since Dan O, with the possible exceptions of '09 (the Easely season) and Sherriff's final year in '17 with Lashee as OC. Also, the final 4 games in '13 with Casey. That was a very exciting stretch (who can forget the season finale against Memphis. Air Cochran. Think he threw around 58 times.

Reaction Score
I find this curious for several reasons. One MB has a win under his belt and two he didn't play poorly but they nutered him because his 2 best receivers were out. Wouldn't you want to see what he could do with Brown and Ross on the field? I mean after all he did win the job out of camp for a reason at least see what he can do with his 2 main guys out there. Also I strongly felt Jack Zergiotis got lucky more then once on completions where his receivers bailed him out with great catches. Also he had a few more that should have been picks, but were dropped. And I thought he picked the wrong read a few times. I did not see any of this out of MB last week sans the pick 6.

Play in games counts more than in training camp, and the way Edsall announced MB as starter (Very late in camp, on twitter, at like 5 am) showed it wasn't exactly a decisive win

Reaction Score
game plan was surprising - 38 passing plays called (31 attempts, 7 sacks/rushes) and 22 rushing attempts by Thompkins / Mensah. Around 60% passing with a true freshman making his first start, certainly didn't think this would happen.

Whats neat is our top two WRs today (Brown and Ross) are also true freshmen. Drayton, another t.f., was also targeted a few times and played well last week too. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Problem is, even if Beaudry is halfway decent, he's done after the last game.

We may have something here with Zergiotis and if continues to show promise we'll have our guy for the next three seasons.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
game plan was surprising - 38 passing plays called (31 attempts, 7 sacks/rushes) and 22 rushing attempts by Thompkins / Mensah. Around 60% passing with a true freshman making his first start, certainly didn't think this would happen.

maybe the plan was different before the game, but did you see the rushing numbers? They needed to air the ball out even more!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Whats neat is our top two WRs today (Brown and Ross) are also true freshmen. Drayton, another t.f., was also targeted a few times and played well last week too. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come!

brown is a grad transfer. but he made one ridiculous catch. drayton made a big play for a true freshman.

Reaction Score

>>Zergiotis was 21 of 32 for 275 yards. The only true freshmen to throw for more yards in a game at UConn during UConn’s time playing at the Football Bowl Subdivision level are Dan Orlovsky, who started 27 NFL games, and Tim Boyle, currently the No. 2 quarterback behind future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers with the Green Bay Packers.<<

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the game.

Despite the two INTs, I was satisfied by Zergiotis, especially his poise as a true freshman. Made some difficult passes to Ross, Brown and Rose and liked that he wasn't afraid to take risks.

Bottom line, it was fun to watch 57 minutes of the game where UConn was still in it.

Reaction Score

Lots of reasons to be optimistic after yesterday's game. Brown is a transfer who only has one year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Love the concept of having a potential 4 year starter to build a team around. Fans have been teased for so long with potential of high school commits like Cochran, Nebrich, Boyle, etc. only to end up with transfers (Whitmer, Shirreffs, Pindell) or the walk-in Mcentee. We haven’t seen the types of throws that Zergiotis was making in a long time. The game was a refreshing reminder of what it is to be a UConn football fan. A much needed step forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wally Pipp’d

That’s the nature of sport. Long before any of us were born. A spark is lit ... and you go with it.

Reaction Score
Love the concept of having a potential 4 year starter to build a team around. Fans have been teased for so long with potential of high school commits like Cochran, Nebrich, Boyle, etc. only to end up with transfers (Whitmer, Shirreffs, Pindell) or the walk-in Mcentee. We haven’t seen the types of throws that Zergiotis was making in a long time. The game was a refreshing reminder of what it is to be a UConn football fan. A much needed step forward.

You can’t have that conversation about the passing without a handful of impressive WRs. And Ardell Brown just looks different ... he’s got a professional talent/pride component to how he presents his play.

Reaction Score
This Zergiotis kid comes off as a Baker Mayfield.

He'll be a senior when we play Clemson?
Assuming no redshirt for whatever reason (injury, coaches’ decision), he will be a junior in 2021.

Reaction Score
So here’s my problem with Z. As we learned a few days ago he is from Canada so he can’t be good. Lots of experts on this board pointed that out when we were recruiting another Canadian quarterback.

Problem #2 is what I call the palatine conundrum. When the #3 quarterback becomes your starter who do you turn to when pal is demanding the backup?

:cool::cool::D

Reaction Score
So here’s my problem with Z. As we learned a few days ago he is from Canada so he can’t be good. Lots of experts on this board pointed that out when we were recruiting another Canadian quarterback.

Problem #2 is what I call the palatine conundrum. When the #3 quarterback becomes your starter who do you turn to when pal is demanding the backup?

:cool::cool::D
If we get a Canadian QB in the NFL, we'll have a strong Canadian tradition at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom