zags:Malik Newman in No Rush to Make a Decision | The Boneyard

zags:Malik Newman in No Rush to Make a Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Better for his brand if he strings everyone along til early next summer.

Reaction Score
Knowingly or not, he really has played the game well. Starts off all over social media hyping him and Stone as a package deal, now he's all about basketball and so focused, he's allegedly not even thinking about recruiting.

Reaction Score
Maybe he just wants to see who commits where. I don't blame any recruit for waiting or committing early.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Maybe he just wants to see who commits where. I don't blame any recruit for waiting or committing early.
Maybe. But it's naive of you to think he's not interested in keeping his name in the headlines for as long as possible.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But it's naive of you to think he's not interested in keeping his name in the headlines for as long as possible.
Brand, what brand? This is an 18 year old HS kid, he has no brand. Branding will come his last year in college or his first year in the NBA if he makes it. There are no promotional benefits right now whether he commits early or latter. Whether or not he wants to keep the attention going for his ego is another matter.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Brand, what brand? This is an 18 year old HS kid, he has no brand. Branding will come his last year in college or his first year in the NBA if he makes it. There are no promotional benefits right now whether he commits early or latter. Whether or not he wants to keep the attention going for his ego is another matter.

I beg to differ:

http://iammaliknewman.com/

From the 'Lifestyle' section of his personal website:

timthumb.php

Reaction Score
when can I get a pair of Newmans? I bet they gonna b tight

Reaction Score
:)
I beg to differ:

http://iammaliknewman.com/

From the 'Lifestyle' section of his personal website:

timthumb.php
It is really comical that the kid went to all this trouble with no benefit in sight. Branding happens when you take a generic product or service (Chiquita Banana), turn it into a recognizable name brand and create consumer demand for your product. Don't know what you would call what Newman is doing but it isn't branding. Damn kids these days.:)

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Translation: No rush to make a decision = "I have no intention of going to college but love the attention and VIP treatment that pretending I'm going to college gets me." I hope KO is not spending much energy on this kid.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Highly doubt Newman is skilled in web design. However, I noticed he has a YouTube page with a lot of views and subscribers. I wonder if he generates ad revenue, and could that be a NCAA violation?

Reaction Score
Or....maybe he is just being smart and weighing his options. In his shoes, would you be in a hurry to committ?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Or....maybe he is just being smart and weighing his options. In his shoes, would you be in a hurry to committ?
No, I'd be milking it for all the babes, um, I mean attention I could get.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
:)
It is really comical that the kid went to all this trouble with no benefit in sight. Branding happens when you take a generic product or service (Chiquita Banana), turn it into a recognizable name brand and create consumer demand for your product.
Or when you create buzz and interest around your own potential, inflating (artificially or not) your fanbase and NBA prospects.

There's a reason Wiggins waited so long to commit last year. Gonna see more and more of that from the top prospects.

Reaction Score
Translation: No rush to make a decision = "I have no intention of going to college but love the attention and VIP treatment that pretending I'm going to college gets me." I hope KO is not spending much energy on this kid.

foolish statement

Reaction Score
Highly doubt Newman is skilled in web design. However, I noticed he has a YouTube page with a lot of views and subscribers. I wonder if he generates ad revenue, and could that be a NCAA violation?

wait another foolish post..... this is basic 101 of threads about recruits . We love them until they pick another school....:mad:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked if Newman skips the college deal and does what Mudiay did.
And this is why i have no interest in this kid. He seem to be more worried about his marketability than what college is best for him. If the nba didnt have the 1 and done rule this kid would be straight to the nba.

Reaction Score
Nope. He wouldn't be receiving any money through his YouTube page.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm trying to decide what's worse - false modesty or arrogance.:rolleyes:

Some prejudgement concerning this kid. There's no way to know if the attention he brings to himself is a character flaw or character strength or some combo. Being confident in oneself doesn't automatically mean selfishness.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a fan, parading around in a team's championship gear, could condemn a kid for parading around in his/her own achievements. Is it more acceptable to be arrogant about vicarious accomplishments than those we attain for ourselves?

Reaction Score
I'm trying to decide what's worse - false modesty or arrogance.:rolleyes:

Some prejudgement concerning this kid. There's no way to know if the attention he brings to himself is a character flaw or character strength or some combo. Being confident in oneself doesn't automatically mean selfishness.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a fan, parading around in a team's championship gear, could condemn a kid for parading around in his/her own achievements. Is it more acceptable to be arrogant about vicarious accomplishments than those we attain for ourselves?

Haven't seen your psychology on the board in a while. Always bringing perspective to the board.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Maybe someone can explain to me how a fan, parading around in a team's championship gear, could condemn a kid for parading around in his/her own achievements.
There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not that much fun to root for.

That said, I don't blame the kid at all for trying to do everything in his power to get his name in lights. It's a good business move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom