Zags: Kevin Ollie Interested in the Laker job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zags: Kevin Ollie Interested in the Laker job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree, but if Ollie is happy at UConn he holds all the power and might as well shoot for the moon and see if they will give him everything he could want. Worst case, he he stays at UConn and can tell recruits the Lakers wanted him enough to offer him XYZ but he wouldn't leave UConn without ABC.

This is a case where the only way you go to the organization is if they give you total control of operations. But, by the organization agreeing to give total control the organization is admitting it's currently so jacked up that it's not worth working there.

Wasn't it Groucho who said he'd never join a club that would accept him as a member?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope we all aren't whistling past the graveyard. If he is offered I bet he takes it. It might be his last chance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope we all aren't whistling past the graveyard. If he is offered I bet he takes it. It might be his last chance.
I don't know about it being his last chance, but it is definitely worth considering, if offered.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Of course he'd consider. Only a fool would fail to at least think about it. But that team sucks. No star (Durant) is going there until it is at least competitive and so whoever takes it is set up to fail. He has great job security in Storrs, and a strong team coming back.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine LA makes a decision without interviewing Walton - will GS give them the OK to do that before they're eliminated, or are we waiting until June for LA to make their decision?

Reaction Score
Of course he'd consider. Only a fool would fail to at least think about it. But that team sucks. No star (Durant) is going there until it is at least competitive and so whoever takes it is set up to fail. He has great job security in Storrs, and a strong team coming back.
This is what makes me think it's not the most likely scenario that he goes. That roster out there is so ridiculously bad, and their one promising young player has the rest of his teammates voting him off the island so to speak. Unless there is wholesale change immediately I have trouble seeing Durant walking into that situation right away. Without Durant that's not a good situation for Ollie to make the move to the NBA, even if it is the Lakers. At least Stevens had a good young core to build around when he got to Boston, that doesn't exist in LA right now.

A friend with far more knowledge of the NBA than I suggested that Durant will resign with OKC for one year with a player option for a second year, giving him the ability to stay or go elsewhere with Westbrook when his contract is up. He also said that if Durant wanted to be coached by Ollie, he'd be coached by Ollie right now, so that side of it (he says) is a bit overblown.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's realistic that he would pass on the Lakers job. It's the Lakers. I also don't think it's realistic that he'd be offered the Lakers job, though, so I'm not too worried.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Will Benedict extend his contract further now? 3 years left currently.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's realistic that he would pass on the Lakers job. It's the Lakers. I also don't think it's realistic that he'd be offered the Lakers job, though, so I'm not too worried.
Oh I do think it's realistic that they offer him the job, and I think it's also realistic that he turns it down under certain circumstances. If there's no indication KD will come to LA, if he's not given input/control over player personnel, if there isn't wholesale roster change - I absolutely think he'd turn it down if they want to hire someone and try to win with what they have plus some new draftees.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Does the Laker job come with choice of Laker girls?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been said in this (growing) thread, but Walton is the domino to watch here. If word gets out that Walton is not interested in the job, I'll start to become concerned. Until then, it sounds like it's his job to lose.

Reaction Score
Oh I do think it's realistic that they offer him the job, and I think it's also realistic that he turns it down under certain circumstances. If there's no indication KD will come to LA, if he's not given input/control over player personnel, if there isn't wholesale roster change - I absolutely think he'd turn it down if they want to hire someone and try to win with what they have plus some new draftees.
Newsflash: KD is not going to LA. With Ollie as coach or without.

Reaction Score
IMO...IF ever offered the Laker job @ 6M per + for 6 years or whatever he should take it. We all understand that KO is one of the best role models his daughter will ever find in the male species ect ect...but I bet she wouldn't mind a little LA shopping on a regular basis. Just think Louboutin, Cavalli, Channel!

Guess what though I doubt Christmas comes early for KO! Let's win the freakin AAC Championship next year! Let's do this!

Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't leave. It's funny though, many on here bashed him all season as we struggled, and questioned his abilities. And now look at the rumors! Obviously he is a valuable Coach, and even at a higher level than college basketball. We are truly lucky to have him.

Ps. I would think once again this elevates his value and maybe more kids consider uconn that may not have before.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'm not a KO "basher," though I am not necessarily an acolyte either. The thing is, even a doubter has to believe that losing a national championship winning coach, in a time of transition for the program, is not a good place to be. Especially with a newbie AD, a weak conference affiliation, and a roster with lots of youth and question marks. You can both question Ollie and not want to lose him under these circumstances--that's legit.

Reaction Score
I've spent lots of time in LA, yeah, Storrs is an easy winner.

Probably the first time that sentence has been transcribed in the history of the English language.

I have a hard time imagining Ollie would turn down the Lakers but, as Bruce said, I doubt he's a front-runner and it's probably a nonstarter.

Reaction Score
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'm not a KO "basher," though I am not necessarily an acolyte either. The thing is, even a doubter has to believe that losing a national championship winning coach, in a time of transition for the program, is not a good place to be. Especially with a newbie AD, a weak conference affiliation, and a roster with lots of youth and question marks. You can both question Ollie and not want to lose him under these circumstances--that's legit.

There is questioning if something was a good call or not... Or even saying he made a bad call here or there... Thats all fine. even the best coaches make mistakes, they are human after all. Just like the best players make mistakes and bad plays from time to time, it happens. But there were many here that questions his abilities entirely. Not just a call. But more like see he made a bad call, how can he make a mistake like that? He isnt good at x's and o's ect.. I'm referring to those people. If the shoe fits wear it basically! But yea go search the threads and you'll find me questioning a call here or there at the end of a game. At the end of the day though I still think he is an elite college basketball coach and that we are beyond lucky to have him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Probably the first time that sentence has been transcribed in the history of the English language.

I have a hard time imagining Ollie would turn down the Lakers but, as Bruce said, I doubt he's a front-runner and it's probably a nonstarter.

Perhaps. LA is a pretty nasty, miserable, overcrowded and horribly expensive place. It must have been really nice about 120 years ago though. And if you think CT taxes are bad....

Reaction Score
My in-laws live near LA and I'll tell you that city (despite the in-laes) is NIIIICE. I go 1-2 times a year and I love it. That being said, I don't want Ollie spending time there.

Reaction Score
The picture is the one KO has today. But the tweet shown by Coppolla had a picture of players. Again...weird.

They just used an old picture, that was the picture at the time of posting, Twitter puts the current picture.

At least Stevens had a good young core to build around when he got to Boston, that doesn't exist in LA right now.

YvvBhpz.png

I wouldn't call that a great young core, especially since Rondo was out with an ACL + wasn't the same player after his return. They were 25-57. They had draft and trade assets I guess, but the young player core wasn't great. I'd take Lakers current young players (Russell, Clarkson, Randle, Nance) over Celtics (Bradley, Sully, Olynyk) mostly because Russell could actually be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom