Zags: Hurley on what he likes about incoming recruits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zags: Hurley on what he likes about incoming recruits

C

Chief00

You never know how players will pan out but I wouldn't put a ceiling on Gaffney, he is an elite athlete IMO.

I agree. LOL - Chief has seen a lot of basketball the past 7 months and Gaffney may be the most underrated guy I have seen. He has all the tools in the toolbox. Very athletic and skilled. Can shoot the 3. Very high BB IQ. Sal needs to put some more muscle on him.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
largely, not entirely...I'm also totally in the tank for Emeka, so...
Emeka was a all around great guy. Great player, great scholar and a great player that young kids could look up to.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Where's Donyell? He was top 3, 5, or 7 depending on the recruiting service. Saw him play in the MickeyD All-Star game and he dominated, will never forget it. Thought he out played Weber but they still gave POG award to Weber. Marshall announced for UConn just a couple days later, IIRC.

Stops in 2000, Notice Ray & Rip are also not on this list.

C

Chief00

Emeka was a all around great guy. Great player, great scholar and a great player that young kids could look up to.

My one criticism of Emeka was he should have allocated some of his library time to foul shooting practice. Otherwise, I agree with your assessment. I actually gave this feedback in person and the next time I saw him - he smiled and said he was on the way to the library. LOL - he was a serious guy who had a good sense of humor.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
His videos at Brewster show a legit, high end jumper.
Dyson was billed as a knock down 3 point shooter coming out of high school too. Sometimes the high school scouting reports are just off.

Reaction Score
Dyson was billed as a knock down 3 point shooter coming out of high school too. Sometimes the high school scouting reports are just off.
I don’t wanna keep this going because it doesn’t really mean anything, but i’m not talking about like his scouting report, just HS highlights. I mean even the Corey Porter offseason videos show a very athletic kid. I don’t think Jalen has lost it, I just don’t think he’s had much opportunity to show it.

Reaction Score
Jalen has had a few games at UConn that have highlighted his outrageous talent. One was against Cincy his Sophomore year and one was last year @ Houston. Unfortunately, he needs someone else to be the #1 guy, so he can do his thing. He would have been perfect for Caron Butler's team, or some of our other teams.

Reaction Score
I don’t wanna keep this going because it doesn’t really mean anything, but i’m not talking about like his scouting report, just HS highlights. I mean even the Corey Porter offseason videos show a very athletic kid. I don’t think Jalen has lost it, I just don’t think he’s had much opportunity to show it.

Jalen has hops and long arms. He also has a really fluid athleticism. Very mobile and able to control his body.

The lack of "elite" athleticism is in his lateral speed, second jump, and strength.

He's clearly no slouch. Kid was a 4-5* recrjit for a reason. He's probably in the top .1% of people athleticism-wise. Solid NBA players are just the top .01% at his size.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree. LOL - Chief has seen a lot of basketball the past 7 months and Gaffney may be the most underrated guy I have seen. He has all the tools in the toolbox. Very athletic and skilled. Can shoot the 3. Very high BB IQ. Sal needs to put some more muscle on him.
Well, there ya go. Call him Time The Tool Man. When he takes the court say "It's tool time" All we need is Pamela Anderson *the original* as a cheerleader. Okay sorry I am bored.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Rodney was always a better athlete. I did not see that ever from Jalen, tbh.
Agree. Rodney had a pro body and athleticism from day 1 and it would be interesting to see the combine type test results. Jalen unquestionably was a more skilled player/ballhandler but not better athlete imo.

C

Chief00

Agree. Rodney had a pro body and athleticism from day 1 and it would be interesting to see the combine type test results. Jalen unquestionably was a more skilled player/ballhandler but not better athlete imo.
Actually, I think Rodney has short arms and small hands.

Reaction Score
Where's Donyell? He was top 3, 5, or 7 depending on the recruiting service. Saw him play in the MickeyD All-Star game and he dominated, will never forget it. Thought he out played Weber but they still gave POG award to Weber. Marshall announced for UConn just a couple days later, IIRC.

We saw him in the McDonald's game and I don't know how you can say Donyell dominated. It was played in Springfield and Donyell had a mediocre to average game. Webber had 28 points and 12 rebounds and was named MVP. Tried to find the stats for all the players but only found those listed as leading scorers: Webber 28 and 12, Glen Robinson 20 and 8, James Forrest 22 and 10, Don williams 20 points and Juwan Howard 16 points.

Reaction Score
He's had 4 years to show it. He has some neat finishes around the rim but a lot of that is because he is so averse to any sort of contact but outside of that and an occassional alleyoop his athleticism never really jumped out at me in the college game.

Reaction Score
We saw him in the McDonald's game and I don't know how you can say Donyell dominated. It was played in Springfield and Donyell had a mediocre to average game. Webber had 28 points and 12 rebounds and was named MVP. Tried to find the stats for all the players but only found those listed as leading scorers: Webber 28 and 12, Glen Robinson 20 and 8, James Forrest 22 and 10, Don williams 20 points and Juwan Howard 16 points.
He did dominate when he came in but did not get the PT the other players you mentioned got. I wasn't there in Springfield but saw it on TV. At the time I knew that Calhoun was recruiting him and IIRC it was between us and North Carolina so was watching him closely. I think for the few minutes he got he had 7 or 8 points and the same number of rbs, also had a couple assists. You should take some memory pills. I know you have an ax to grind here from the "handler" thread, and will go all out to try and prove me wrong so have at it. I do not know who his "handler" was though. Lol. I can't believe you're willing to characterize a first team AA as mediocre after 30 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn's Dan Hurley on what he likes about incoming recruits
"He was really impressive," Hurley said of Gaffney, who went 0-of-7 from beyond the arc despite being a strong 3-point shooter. "One of the better things he does is shoot the ball from three and it didn't [work out]. He was the best player on the court without making shots and there were some really good players on the court. He played like a true point, play-made, got to the rim and scored. Just showed everything but 3-point shooting, and that's maybe the best thing he does."
Also, Jalen Gaffney's coach at Westtown thinks he could be two-and-done.
2 and done? There is an awful lot of expectations for a kid that is a borderline 4 star player.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Actually, I think Rodney has short arms and small hands.
Do you mean "shorter" in relationship to "long" (which means longer than average) and small hands meaning possibly average? I was referring to combine type tests (standing broad jump, standing vertical leap, bench press, speed and agility tests etc.)

C

Chief00

Do you mean "shorter" in relationship to "long" (which means longer than average) and small hands meaning possibly average? I was referring to combine type tests (standing broad jump, standing vertical leap, bench press, speed and agility tests etc.)
Understood. For a guy 6-3 or 6-4 Rodney has short arms and small hands proportional for his height. While Rodney has the jumping ability and body to absorb contact going to the hoop he did not often finish that well since he couldn’t go left well or have the arm length and hands to get the type of shot finishing angles that for instance Jalen gets.
#ChiefBreakdown

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom