Zags: Hurley on what he likes about incoming recruits | The Boneyard

Zags: Hurley on what he likes about incoming recruits

Reaction Score
UConn's Dan Hurley on what he likes about incoming recruits
"He was really impressive," Hurley said of Gaffney, who went 0-of-7 from beyond the arc despite being a strong 3-point shooter. "One of the better things he does is shoot the ball from three and it didn't [work out]. He was the best player on the court without making shots and there were some really good players on the court. He played like a true point, play-made, got to the rim and scored. Just showed everything but 3-point shooting, and that's maybe the best thing he does."
Also, Jalen Gaffney's coach at Westtown thinks he could be two-and-done.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This isn’t really true...
It is now. Look, if we get one guy in the top 30 yearly after the last 4 years, that’s doing very well. Two is a home run. Some years we may get none. The rest of the team will be built on hitting on players between 50 and 200. This is why going by ranking is overrated, except for the top 30. Gaffney isn’t in that top group ... but he plays like he is. We need to have coaches with an eye for talent, particularly shooting and BBIQ, and the ability to project a player.

Also, there are 350 teams salivating over players, and a select few garner most of the top 30. The other blue bloods - Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. are all over that top 30 group. So are the others in the B1G and ACC. This year Memphis and USC have 2 each, because of their coaches and the players are local and want to stay home, mainly.

Now, once we’ve strung together 2 or three 27 win seasons, that could change.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It is now. Look, if we get one guy in the top 30 yearly after the last 4 years, that’s doing very well. Two is a home run. Some years we may get none. The rest of the team will be built on hitting on players between 50 and 200. This is why going by ranking is overrated, except for the top 30. Gaffney isn’t in that top group ... but he plays like he is. We need to have coaches with an eye for talent, particularly shooting and BBIQ, and the ability to project a player.

Also, there are 350 teams salivating over players, and a select few garner most of the top 30. The other blue bloods - Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. are all over that top 30 group. So are the others in the B1G and ACC. This year Memphis and USC have 2 each, because of their coaches and the players are local and want to stay home, mainly.

Now, once we’ve strung together 2 or three 27 win seasons, that could change.

Connecticut All Time Basketball Recruits

Are you sure?

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Yes, I’m sure. Two points to make and you’ll see it too.
1. Over roughly 19 years we’ve landed 15 top 30 players, 19 top 50. That’s more or less 1 per year, when we were dominating the Big East and going deep in and/or winning the Dance with a HOF coach.
2. Even in that group are misses - Kelly, Majok, Coombs-McDaniel - good players but overrated. And Bynum didn’t play here.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Why is Drummond’s ranking on that list so low???
Not sure, but because it was I didn’t count him. Nate Miles was high, didn’t count him either, for obvious reasons. Adding Drummond doesn’t move the needle much for the numbers.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Why is Drummond’s ranking on that list so low???
He was ranked #2 in his class until he reclassified, after the reclass they dropped him down but I didn’t think they dropped him that far! We should use this and say look we turned Drummond from a mid level 4 star into a top 10 pick in one season lol.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yes, I’m sure. Two points to make and you’ll see it too.
1. Over roughly 19 years we’ve landed 15 top 30 players, 19 top 50. That’s more or less 1 per year, when we were dominating the Big East and going deep in and/or winning the Dance with a HOF coach.
2. Even in that group are misses - Kelly, Majok, Coombs-McDaniel - good players but overrated. And Bynum didn’t play here.

First you say that recruiting is built on 50-200 players, I provide a counter point with data showing that isn't true. Then you change the argument and say the players were got were misses... I'm confused. Our good teams had top 30 players fact, UConn had elite recruiting for a long time, coupled with an elite coach made us great. Cutting it any other way is revisionist history.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
First you say that recruiting is built on 50-200 players, I provide a counter point with data showing that isn't true. Then you change the argument and say the players were got were misses... I'm confused. Our good teams had top 30 players fact, UConn had elite recruiting for a long time, coupled with an elite coach made us great. Cutting it any other way is revisionist history.
What I wrote was that getting one top 30 player per year is good, and the way some schools gobble up those players some years there might be none. That makes it important, even crucial, to hit on the players you land from 50-200. Your list shows that 1 per year in that top group is about average. I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

Reaction Score
Not sure, but because it was I didn’t count him. Nate Miles was high, didn’t count him either, for obvious reasons. Adding Drummond doesn’t move the needle much for the numbers.

Drummond was ranked #2 until it looked like he was not coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
Drummond was the second best player in high school after Anthony Davis.

Reaction Score
I don't know what he's trying to do.

Reaction Score
What I wrote was that getting one top 30 player per year is good, and the way some schools gobble up those players some years there might be none. That makes it important, even crucial, to hit on the players you land from 50-200. Your list shows that 1 per year in that top group is about average. I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

Everything on the yard is controversial. We are all internet trolls.

Reaction Score
I think its safe to say if you don't have legit NBA talent on your roster even if its one guy a year you have zero chance of being an elite program. Im not talking just lottery picks but guys who can be serviceable in the league for a few years. I could be wrong but there might not be more than a 2 or 3 national title winners without a burger boy on it in the last 30 years.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
So what do you guys think about Hurley's comments on Gaffney?
I think Gaffney is a great player but he’s clearly a 3, probably 4 year piece.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney is a great player but he’s clearly a 3, probably 4 year piece.

For sure. He needs to add 15 pounds and work on that left hand. I would say his ceiling is higher than any guard we've had since Kemba though, imo. He has the right size, unlike Rique/Boat, and the right athleticism for the league, unlike Jalen and Shabazz.

Not saying he will be a player at the next level, but he has the pieces if he dedicates himself.

Reaction Score
For sure. He needs to add 15 pounds and work on that left hand. I would say his ceiling is higher than any guard we've had since Kemba though, imo. He has the right size, unlike Rique/Boat, and the right athleticism for the league, unlike Jalen and Shabazz.

Not saying he will be a player at the next level, but he has the pieces if he dedicates himself.
Weird thing is that Jalen HAD the athleticism, it’s kinda like with Rodney. If you watch both their HS mixtapes they look like legit high end athletes, haven’t seen it much here unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Weird thing is that Jalen HAD the athleticism, it’s kinda like with Rodney. If you watch both their HS mixtapes they look like legit high end athletes, haven’t seen it much here unfortunately.

Rodney was always a better athlete. I did not see that ever from Jalen, tbh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom