Zags: Adama Sanogo declaring for the NBA Draft | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Zags: Adama Sanogo declaring for the NBA Draft

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What made him great this year was that he wasn't doing a lot of inefficient back-to-the-basket iso post-up stuff. There was a lot more movement, cross-screens, face-up, and, yes, spot up 3s.

Post-up is much more efficient than 25-30 foot penetration.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Problem is that he's probably going to have to guard 5s in NBA. And in PnR coverage he can't drop. When we were doing more drop with him in January it went poorly. So there's s bunch of teams that will pass on a 2nd rounder that can't fit their scheme or doesn't have the flexibility to play all schemes. And that's because of and on top of his physical limitations. He's short for the position and doesn't have vertical explosion.

Playing 4 would be impossible in a lot of matchups for him. Jayson Tatum? Giannis? Jimmy Butler? These are the guys and types that play 4 in the NBA. You have to be closer to an Omax Prosper type to defend 4s in the NBA.

I think he's a crazy worker and somebody should give him a roster spot and let him get improving. And I assume he gets drafted, but I'm skeptical it'll be before the 2nd half of round 2. He'll probably be a 2-way guy.

Are you saying Sanogo can’t play in the NBA unless he is better than Giannis?

Reaction Score
I don't begrudge him the decision to leave. As a selfish fan, I'd love to see him back, but he has absolutely nothing to prove in the college game. As some others have already posted, he has a steep hill to climb to be a serious NBA player - not quick enough to play 4, not big enough to play 5.

And for those that disagree, who was the last UConn player people were skeptical would have an NBA career that actually did ? There hasn't been one in the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
I don't begrudge him the decision to leave. As a selfish fan, I'd love to see him back, but he has absolutely nothing to prove in the college game. As some others have already posted, he has a steep hill to climb to be a serious NBA player - not quick enough to play 4, not big enough to play 5.

And for those that disagree, who was the last UConn player people were skeptical would have an NBA career that actually did ? There hasn't been one in the last 20 years.
Well, I wouldn’t say he has had an NBA career yet, but nobody anticipated that Tyrese Martin would be drafted and he was.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your post is the first time I've read that take

Second paragraph of auror’s post implies that Sanogo has to be able to stop Giannis. Giannis will continue to be unstoppable for as long as his prime continues.

Sanogo can be a productive 20 mpg player, with upside of a Bobby Portis if he works hard and finds the right team. That could be a great NBA career if he pulls it off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you saying Sanogo can’t play in the NBA unless he is better than Giannis?
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
U can keep saying that but if it was so automatic that he leaves why was he 50/50 going into the day of his announcement ? Obviously , it was not an ez decision and there were pros and cons both ways. U make it sound like it was a no brainer
Maybe it wasn’t an easy decision. But if he decided to stay in college for NIL it wouldn’t have been at UConn. And as sad as it would’ve been to see him in another college uniform, it shouldn’t have been at UConn.

There are a lot of moving parts to running a college program . Roster management and keeping promises to players is one of them . Coach Hurley is building this program for the long haul. It was ALWAYS the plan that Adama was gone this year. Clingan wasn’t coming back next year to play 13 minutes a game. He is the heir apparent . Has been from day 1. There aren’t minutes on next years squad for both of them. It had to be one or the other.

Adama having the run he had in tourney was the best possible scenario for all. I’m glad he is going to draft . He just won FF mop on a natty team. His value will never be higher. We can talk until we are blue in the face about whether his game translates to the current NBA. It doesn’t matter. He is what he is.

This kid has a legendary work ethic, we’ve seen it first hand for 3 years. Does anyone really want to bet against him being successful going forward? I definitely don’t. He will find a way. That's what I’d bet on.

Reaction Score
And is on their playoff roster.
Jump shot >hook shot.
But I think adama gets in early second if not late first after camp. He’s coachable and although not quick twitch fast he is quick.

Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn’t say he has had an NBA career yet, but nobody anticipated that Tyrese Martin would be drafted and he was.
Martin be Drafted wasn’t a shock making the team was .

Sanogo that we know is not a current NBA 5 or since there no longer is a place for a hang around the hoop power forward so common 30 years ago . He would be a top pick then . However he has to change his game as much as any kid I can remember.
Here is his ticket :
If he could show a decent face up game a consistent short jumper snd the ability to put it on the floor and get to the hoop , which is really easier to do in the spaced out NBA game vs college , he has a serious chance of sticking . He had shown brief flashes of those skills. I’m keeping my fingers crossed .

Reaction Score
I think he will make it because of his work ethic. He will do what it takes to adapt his game and develop the skills he needs to succeed in the NBA. Some smart team will take the time to see how much he improved and adapted his game each see and see the potential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom