Zagoria: 2 FB AND 2 BB Schools Required To Dissolve Conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zagoria: 2 FB AND 2 BB Schools Required To Dissolve Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
McMurphy reporting they can leave on June 30, 2015 without paying an exit fee.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
McMurphy reporting they can leave on June 30, 2015 without paying an exit fee.
Expected that. This past week was spent negotiating between the two groups an amicable parting of the ways.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I suspect there are other agreements and understandings - that's why I asked the question. Maybe no one can really know, because it seems much of the action has taken place in total secrecy.

FCFan, a few posts earlier I repeated a thought from another source about the possible origin of the 2FB/2BB requirement theory. I don't have the sources to find any of this stuff out - I'm just asking people like yourself who do have resources and personal knowledge.
I don't have any personal knowledge beyond much of what I remember being plastered all over the internet when the schools that became the 2005-2012 iteration of the BE were in place.

The common belief then was that remaining together was merely to keep each faction in quality conference standing in the NCAA's eyes (why the walkaway couldn't happen without penalty until 2010) and that once they could split they would (which for many reasons did not happen).

I did have (may still be there in fact) on my old computer at my prior job PDF's of the minutes of the two 2003 meetings which led to the initial invitations to Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette and DePaul and later the invitation of USF as BC's replacement. Each document was quite large (~170 pages combined, the first being far larger than the second), detailed a process of determining who to invite, how to protect each faction, what rights each faction would have to affirm or deny a prospect for the other faction from consideration and the suggestion (far before any official agreement) that the departing side (then assumed to be the football membership) would leave behind the name and history of the BE.

I've been in the business world long enough to have an idea of how substantial a full partnership agreement, rules and bylaws for an entity such as the BE would be (a closing binder on a commercial real estate deal will have between 20-30 individual documents, running 15 pages to 250 pages each) and I imagine that the entirety of all documents involved in the agreement would be a couple thousand pages and the only people who would have a full understanding of it either have been reviewing it for years or have spent the past couple of months scouring it.

I imagine that part of the holdup is the rights to the name and history (something the catholic side always believed would be theirs) and that the reasons for the threat of dissolution (and possibly a search for means of dissolution beyond what they were aware of) was to use as leverage to gain rights to the name and history. I imagine that there always could be a later lawsuit (lawyers somewhere would find a way to make this case) where the catholic faction could claim that they have four members from day one (PC, St John's, Seton Hall & Georgetown) and another who has been there since the second season (Nova) while the football side only has one member (UConn) who was a charter member and none who were there before 2005, therefore they have the greatest claim to the name and history of the conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I imagine that part of the holdup is the rights to the name and history (something the catholic side always believed would be theirs) and that the reasons for the threat of dissolution (and possibly a search for means of dissolution beyond what they were aware of) was to use as leverage to gain rights to the name and history. I imagine that there always could be a later lawsuit (lawyers somewhere would find a way to make this case) where the catholic faction could claim that they have four members from day one (PC, St John's, Seton Hall & Georgetown) and another who has been there since the second season (Nova) while the football side only has one member (UConn) who was a charter member and none who were there before 2005, therefore they have the greatest claim to the name and history of the conference.

It looks like your deductions of things had merit. It looks from these statements that the remaining three football teams retain the BE name. Read the link to an article with the official statement by both parties and it seems clear the BE will be the name for the remaining football schools and the invites.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/12/15/seven-schools-leaving-big-east/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99