Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation

Reaction Score
he’s one of ours smh ...

I'm not looking for cause to avoid the buyout - I would straight up pound the pavement with AD Dave to drum up the money to pay Ollie to ride off into the sunset if he asked me. And to think he would be provided some protections from this dumpster fire because "he's one of us" is ludicrous.

You give your friend a shiny red Ferrari and he drives it off a cliff. The car you once cherished is absolutely destroyed. You're pissed but he's your friend. You expect him to apologize, ask for help, explain what happened and maybe you can piece things back together but instead he walls you off. You ask him what's going on and he says "the vibes is good" as the car is engulfed in flames behind him. You realize the person you thought was your friend is ignorant, entitled, and uncooperative. What are you supposed to do? cut him more slack because he's your friend after he's destroyed everything you've given him including himself?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fair point. If Wilson is not one of the five recruits the NCAA is looking at, though, that would seem to put a hole in the St Johns “sour grapes” theory of where the initial NCAA complaint came from. . . .

The St. John’s sour grapes theory to me is just people conflating the Wilson appeal timing with Jacobs’ article.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
persecution

IMG_0027.GIF

Reaction Score
Oh cool, you do one of those fake translation things, because that has NEVER been done before, how unique... and yet you are the one who actually has nothing to say, the irony! Way to go!

So, prove to me how it is possible for a bball team to be persecuted. Because no one has done so yet. I have heard of religious groups, ethnic and racial persecution..but wow, a bball team! So, do tell! Really, do tell (and feel free to spare me the underhanded condescending stuff) because I am all ears..
Have you ever heard of hyperbole
The use of persecution in this case would be the equivalent to saying I’m starving to death when you are hungry.
A team certainly can be singled out for punishment especially if it’s done for personal reasons like the APR ban.
The converse is also true the powers to be can turn their back on much more egregious deeds if they choose.
If your older than 16 and you haven’t learned these truths you are extremely lucky , innocent, or really dense.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's interesting, but I really don't think UConn's name is being dragged through the mud all that much as a result of this.

I've been paying attention to people's responses on various platforms and, while there's some doofus' (cuse fans, obviously) that are like "duuuh UConn's dirty duuuh," most CBB fans' reaction to this have been to attack the NCAA for all the various issues they're facing at the moment.

Unless something major is found, I really don't think UConn's reputation will be tarnished all that much.

Yeah, plus we're lucky. We've got "Sparty" running interference for us.

pj

Reaction Score
A's and B's where they never wrote the one course paper which was the only requirement.

Yes. APR was a propaganda exercise to make it look like the NCAA took academics seriously while not requiring major basketball factories to ever impose academics on their students. UConn, by failing students, was creating an expectation that athletes would be held to academic standards, which was a threat to the whole NCAA. It had to be punished. Whereas what UNC delivered -- top on-court performance and no disqualifications of athletes for academics -- was exactly what the NCAA powers wanted.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If Emmert survives the MSU scandal AD Dave should hire away one of Emmert's underlings. Bring someone he likes into the athletic department. If you think this is a long standing vendetta against UConn then we should make it hard for him to continue to hate us. We have enough wasted salaries as it is in this incompetent athletic department, what's one more if it will give us some immunity moving forwards? play the game

I seriously doubt that would matter to Emmert. His mother could work in the UCONN AD and he would still fry us at every opportunity.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Could someone make a list of schools that had worse violations than us and say SMU/Tennessee but received little to no sanctions?

UNC - 20+ year Academic Scandal - Nothing
Louisville - Hookers, $ to recruits - self imposed ban/still waiting
Syracuse - failed drug tests, money to athletes from a local YMCA, talked with the NCAA to start violations after 2003
Michigan State - Sexual assault coverups - TBD
Baylor -
FSU -
Miami -
Kansas - every year there's something with several players

can't remember certain punishments for some of the schools

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could someone make a list of schools that had worse violations than us and say SMU/Tennessee but received little to no sanctions?

UNC - 20+ year Academic Scandal - Nothing
Louisville - Hookers, $ to recruits - self imposed ban/still waiting
Syracuse - failed drug tests, money to athletes from a local YMCA, talked with the NCAA to start violations after 2003
Michigan State - Sexual assault coverups - TBD
Baylor -
FSU -
Miami -
Kansas - every year there's something with several players

can't remember certain punishments for some of the schools
How about Oregon 2 years ago w/ 3 players in the tourney which were identified in police reports of on-campus rape...teflon and top recruits.

We just need the right agents to find the pink flamingo club which the NCAA president frequents with his fake mustache :).

Reaction Score
The St. John’s sour grapes theory to me is just people conflating the Wilson appeal timing with Jacobs’ article.
There’s some connection there with Zach Brown too

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Will anyone ever figure out the common issue here...that the NCAA is a fraud for perpetuating the idea that major college athletics are somehow for the "Student-athlete". Let's all be big boys and girls and tell the truth. The football and basketball leagues are simply minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. To say otherwise is clear bull sugar. As such, as in baseball, the athletes should be paid and recruited however they need to be.

This whole NCAA thing is a joke. But I know everyone here knows that; I just had to say it for my own benefit!

Reaction Score
Why do I get the feeling we are never going to see Sid Wilson in a UConn uniform? Maybe I am reading into things too much. ?

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of hyperbole
The use of persecution in this case would be the equivalent to saying I’m starving to death when you are hungry.
A team certainly can be singled out for punishment especially if it’s done for personal reasons like the APR ban.
The converse is also true the powers to be can turn their back on much more egregious deeds if they choose.
If your older than 16 and you haven’t learned these truths you are extremely lucky , innocent, or really dense.
Yes, I know what hyperbole is. And yes, I agree that Uconn is being singled out, or at least there are a handful of teams being treated less fairly than the majority. I am fairly certain Emmert has some kind of grudge against Uconn (for obvious reasons). Any way, that is where I stop.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, Uconn will be under the ncaa microscope for a long time. Shabazz speach " this is what happens when you ban us" as much as I loved it, but cringed. It probably touched a nerve at the NCAA headquarters.

Reaction Score
Will anyone ever figure out the common issue here...that the NCAA is a fraud for perpetuating the idea that major college athletics are somehow for the "Student-athlete". Let's all be big boys and girls and tell the truth. The football and basketball leagues are simply minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. To say otherwise is clear bull sugar. As such, as in baseball, the athletes should be paid and recruited however they need to be.

This whole NCAA thing is a joke. But I know everyone here knows that; I just had to say it for my own benefit!

If football and basketball players (and people clamoring for college players to be paid) had any real clue about being a minor league baseball player they would completely change their tune. They live with host families, travel by bus, eat crap food, make poverty level wages with exception to few who had large signing bonuses, have crap training facilities, etc.

College athletes have no clue how well and cushy they have it compared to paid minor leaguers in baseball, hockey, soccer, etc

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Now I do not like what is going on with Uconn. I even agree, F the NCAAA.

But persecution? Come on, a bit strong considering history. Vendetta? Totally. Unfair targeting? Oh yah. Grudge? duh. Persecution? mmm, not so much IMHO.

Just semantics. Vendetta is fine.

Reaction Score
Now I do not like what is going on with Uconn. I even agree, F the NCAAA.

But persecution? Come on, a bit strong considering history. Vendetta? Totally. Unfair targeting? Oh yah. Grudge? duh. Persecution? mmm, not so much IMHO.

I don't know about that. Ever since Calhoun showed no remorse over the Miles case it seems the NCAA has had it in for UConn. And he clearly showed some hostility toward the NCAA official (can't remember his name but I think he was the Kentucky AD) who presented him with the trophy after winning the championship in 2011.

Voila, along came the opportunity to sanction UConn and no other major schools for the APR deficiencies in 2013. The rule was in place, but not implemented, for several years so why wait until 2012? Easy, as it was the first year there were no major schools affected except for UConn. All the other schools that year were small or mid-majors.

There's a portion of the NCAA website that shows the APR scores for the schools and as I recall it covers a number of years. I went to that site and found Indiana would have been penalized for three years in a row before the year we were and others, possibly Syracuse and Arkansas would have as well. Can't recall and it's too late to try to find the info tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom