Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation

Reaction Score
Even though fake classes are ok per the NCAA it’s not something a university likes having highlighted.

Given that this is all purely hypothetical, IF our appeal set St. Johns off and caused them to retaliate, is that an off-the-wall reaction by them or something our athletics dept should have anticipated as a possibility?

The chance of our appeal being granted by the NCAA always seemed low, so not a lot of upside for taking on that risk.

At the same time, I think we owed it to Sid to at least make a run at it on his behalf, so I’m not sure there was really much of a choice for our athletics dept. We’re just completely snakebit.

Reaction Score
The money was supposed to go to a national survivor program. Isn’t that why PA sued to keep it in a PA program?

Some of the money. $30m. $30m was to go to the NCAA. And no, PA did not sue to have it go to a PA program. It gets convoluted. The NCAA tried to have the lawsuit dropped IF it agreed to forego the fine and have the money go to a PA program. That was in 2013. This was the NCAA's idea, not the state's. NCAA lost that bid in front of the judge. In the end, the state got $48m back from PSU from its budget coffers ($24m from the athletic program, $24m from the school) and the school sent $12m to the state's child abuse agency.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Given that this is all purely hypothetical, IF our appeal set St. Johns off and caused them to retaliate, is that an off-the-wall reaction by them or something our athletics dept should have anticipated as a possibility?

The chance of our appeal being granted by the NCAA always seemed low, so not a lot of upside for taking on that risk.

At the same time, I think we owed it to Sid to at least make a run at it on his behalf, so I’m not sure there was really much of a choice for our athletics dept. We’re just completely snakebit.

If they were investigating because of Wilson would they really appeal the last denial? We know the investigation has been ongoing since the fall and they appealed after Christmas.

I am down to about zero respect for our Athletic Department but even I don’t think they could be quite that stupid.

Reaction Score
This is seriously your argument, that you don't think the NCAA's treatment of UConn maps to whatever literal definition of the word "persecution" you dug up online? Good lord this place sucks these days. I mean, this is just arguing for the sake of being a . If you were around when the NCAA was ex post facto-ing the hell out of UConn you wouldn't be picking this almost comically stupid hill to die on.
It is not persecution and saying so insults those who have had to deal with it and stating that is not being a , it is being truthful. Does anyone want to engage like an adult or just throw around personal attacks (because they literally don't have a proper retort)?

I am totally admitting and agreeing that this is a vendetta, it is unfair, it is a grudge. That is clear.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Go look up Persecution .

Here is a start. Persecution is the systematic mistreatment individual or group by another individual or group. The most common forms are religious persecution, racism and political persecution, though there is naturally some overlap between these terms. The inflicting of suffering, harassment, imprisonment, internment, fear, or pain are all factors that may establish persecution, but not all suffering will necessarily establish persecution. The suffering experienced by the victim must be sufficiently severe. The threshold level of severity has been a source of much debate."

Next go look up Conspiracy.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
You should consider cutting back on the caffeine. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
You should consider cutting back on the caffeine. Just sayin'.
You should consider using your brain for once, just sayin'. Troll/spamming the same topic 3 times. Adios.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... or sniffing catnip.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Don't judge me until you walked a mile in my hat, but, yeah, that would probably help his outlook.

Reaction Score
It is not persecution and saying so insults those who have had to deal with it and stating that is not being a , it is being truthful. Does anyone want to engage like an adult or just throw around personal attacks (because they literally don't have a proper retort)?

I am totally admitting and agreeing that this is a vendetta, it is unfair, it is a grudge. That is clear.

Hey boss, from your post: "Persecution is the systematic mistreatment [of an] individual or group by another individual or group."

There's a pretty solid argument that it fits if you have any familiarity with the relationship between UConn basketball and the NCAA, and recognizing that reality doesn't "insult" Holocaust victims or whatever nonsense you're peddling. It's genuinely bizarre that you're being so obstinate, but I guess some people just need to try to feel smart.

Now just keep repeating that it's not persecution, which I guess is your well-reasoned rejoinder.

Reaction Score
Hey boss, from your post: "Persecution is the systematic mistreatment [of an] individual or group by another individual or group."

There's a pretty solid argument that it fits if you have any familiarity with the relationship between UConn basketball and the NCAA, and recognizing that reality doesn't "insult" Holocaust victims or whatever nonsense you're peddling. It's genuinely bizarre that you're being so obstinate, but I guess some people just need to try to feel smart.

Now just keep repeating that it's not persecution, which I guess is your well-reasoned rejoinder.
Ya, because a cat picture posted by a troll over and over has really persuaded me (so, that is not being obstinate). To be obstinate an attempt actually has to be made to properly persuade the person (which has not be done). But whatever man, whatever sob story you want to tell about our mens bball team, ya, feel free, they indeed have been "persecuted"! The team is bad enough, we don't need to make false claims, it is bad enough. I don't need to try and feel anything. I feel comfortable and confident in my intelligence. One who needs to insult another persons intelligence, however, hmm...

Reaction Score
Ya, because a cat picture posted by a troll over and over has really persuaded me (so, that is not being obstinate). To be obstinate an attempt actually has to be made to properly persuade the person (which has not be done). But whatever man, whatever sob story you want to tell about our mens bball team, ya, feel free, they indeed have been "persecuted"! The team is bad enough, we don't need to make false claims, it is bad enough. I don't need to try and feel anything. I feel comfortable and confident in my intelligence. One who needs to insult another persons intelligence, however, hmm...

Translation: "I have nothing to say. I'm just a blowhard."

Good effort, bud. Solid showing.

Reaction Score
Translation: "I have nothing to say. I'm just a blowhard."

Good effort, bud. Solid showing.
Oh cool, you do one of those fake translation things, because that has NEVER been done before, how unique... and yet you are the one who actually has nothing to say, the irony! Way to go!

So, prove to me how it is possible for a bball team to be persecuted. Because no one has done so yet. I have heard of religious groups, ethnic and racial persecution..but wow, a bball team! So, do tell! Really, do tell (and feel free to spare me the underhanded condescending stuff) because I am all ears..

Reaction Score
If they were investigating because of Wilson would they really appeal the last denial? We know the investigation has been ongoing since the fall and they appealed after Christmas.

I am down to about zero respect for our Athletic Department but even I don’t think they could be quite that stupid.

The investigation began in the fall, but we have no idea when UConn was alerted, right?

Reaction Score
I realize Zach Brown has had a horrific upbringing, and I don't mean this to be cruel to him. But the fact that KO offered him a scholarship is telling. Despite his ranking, the kid had "this is never going to work out well" written all over him. He has issues unrelated to basketball that are always going to get in the way of utilizing his talents. I guess as an inexperienced head coach KO figured it was worth the risk given his relatively high ranking. But unfortunately sometimes the preponderance of the evidence is so strong you still just can't go there.

My point being, I believe too often KO recruited based on ranking with not enough regard for intangibles and character or fit/role within the team. Then we grabbed whatever decent JUCOs/transfers we could. Consequently, we wound up with 9 forwards and centers on the roster and only 4 guards including AG who is out for the year.

Despite all of the above, I hope Zach Brown gets the help he needs and turns his life around. That would be a story of Caron Butler magnitude.

Reaction Score

Fair point. If Wilson is not one of the five recruits the NCAA is looking at, though, that would seem to put a hole in the St Johns “sour grapes” theory of where the initial NCAA complaint came from. . . .

Reaction Score

You used the word "snakebit" and I have to agree that it is very fitting. Enough "stuff" happened over the past 3 to 4 years that it was always going to be an uphill battle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom