Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CaA1KWcWcAIAfvZ.jpg

It's Diallo

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Borges' take on Brown's debut....

Brown didn't start (he did just enroll at the school less than two weeks ago) but came off the bench 4 minutes, 43 seconds into the game and made his presence felt. He wound up with 14 points on 7-for-11 shooting, with four rebounds and three blocks. He also had his shot blocked twice in a row by a smaller player early on, when some rust was evident.

There's no doubt, he's skilled -- more so than other recent UConn big men (Hasheem Thabeet, Amida Brimah, maybe Steve Enoch). He's a little ungainly, maybe needs to get a little stronger, but has some impressive low-post moves, keeps the ball high and has a nice lefty jump hook that's got to be hard to guard -- especially from a 7-footer.

(on re-classifying)

"It depends on the schoolwork. If I can get it down pat and get these grades up, it'll happen. If not, I have to stay one more year. So, we'll have to see."

Would he prefer to move up to the Class of 2016?

"Yes."

Full post here. http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com

Straight from the source. Also mentioned he transferred past the deadline so he can't play in the national prep tournament.

Reaction Score
It was like an Armory gym or a church basement. You school was a former Catholic school and it looked it. I can picture bingo being held there right before the game.

There were no bleachers. At one end there was a small bleachers with a few row on the wooden stage. On one side line they had a single bench running the length of the court and the sidelines were right in front of the team bench. Literally no room on the sidelines. The coaches are on the court the whole time. There were even cushioned arm chairs set up for seating..... Strangest of all, they didn't charge for admission. Given the reports of the financial state of the school and the physical condition of the school, it seems pretty dumb not to charge $5 a head. The school is in a residential neighborhood and I had to park about two blocks away. I actually got to Putnam two hours early but figured it was too early and went to eat. When I got to the game 45 minutes before, all the seats were taken and I had to stand the whole game.

PSA is funded by Chinese investors and affiliated with UA. I promise they don't need to charge $5 admission.

Reaction Score
Newer highlights of the Lee kid.

What were his numbers vs PSA in this game? His game is solid, can shoot it and pass it for sure. Looks more mid major to me but again, just highlights.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
What were his numbers vs PSA in this game? His game is solid, can shoot it and pass it for sure. Looks more mid major to me but again, just highlights.
I'll try to search for them. I'd guess over 30 pts. It wasn't like he was forcing it either. He got his points in the offense and had a very good handle and ability to beat any PSA player off the dribble. Great finisher.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
PSA is funded by Chinese investors and affiliated with UA. I promise they don't need to charge $5 admission.
So what about the articles on line from May 2015 that the school would close for two years for renovations and the negative reviews talking about mold and overcrowded living conditions and unsanitary cafeteria? I noticed that Diallo, Diarra and Brown all wore UA sneakers but other players wore different brands. I thought that was interesting. If UA is involved, I hope there won't be any funny business.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

7' 260 and yet to fill out. Can shoot and pass. That's not a mid major player.

Might not be an impact player coming in, but that's a better player than a lot of posts we've had in the past 6-7 years.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

Might not be an impact player coming in, but that's a better player than a lot of posts we've had in the past 6-7 years.
Someone may want to unlike your post. Both mau and I were talking about Sergio El Darvich from Lee, the 6' 4" guard, not Brown. Did you think we were talking about Brown??

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Oham. He can really stroke the three. Diallo really plays under control and finds his points within the flow of the game. He doesn't force anything. DHam could learn a thing or two from him. I noticed that Diallo and Diarra sat next to each other and seemed to joke with each other during pre-game, on the bench and during stops in the action. Hopefully, those friends will stay together in college....That would be some sick chemistry with Diarra, Diallo and Brown. Diarra and Brown have better hands than our current big guys. Diarra reminds me of Curtis Kelly but I hope he has a better UCONN career.

Another take away. This kid #1, Sergio El Darwich for Lee Academy was the most impressive player on the court for either team. Shot it well from long range, played tough D, took it to the hoops, and had four dunks. he's about 6' 4" and could get up. Reminded me a lot of Chris Herren.

He was # 25 in this video from last season but changed to # 1 this season:

Kid's from Beirut, Lebanon and this is his postgrad year. Nobody but NERR has him listed anywhere - they have him #5 in Maine, and #75 in New England: http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/maine-class-of-2016

Given the numbers he's putting up in this league and the athleticism he shows, I'd be shocked if he didn't end up with a mid-major offer. Would love to see Moore get him at Quinnipiac, but my guess is he ends up at a bigger school.

Reaction Score
So what about the articles on line from May 2015 that the school would close for two years for renovations and the negative reviews talking about mold and overcrowded living conditions and unsanitary cafeteria? I noticed that Diallo, Diarra and Brown all wore UA sneakers but other players wore different brands. I thought that was interesting. If UA is involved, I hope there won't be any funny business.

PSA did close completely last spring and the bball program transferred to Woodstock Academy along with coach Espinosa. Then the Chinese investors came along, reopened PSA, and brought/bought back Espinosa. Under Armour sponsorship followed. Despite appearances, they're doing plenty well financially.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
PSA did close completely last spring and the bball program transferred to Woodstock Academy along with coach Espinosa. Then the Chinese investors came along, reopened PSA, and brought/bought back Espinosa. Under Armour sponsorship followed. Despite appearances, they're doing plenty well financially.
What do the Chinese investors get out of this deal? School placement for a number of Chinese students or something?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Someone may want to unlike your post. Both mau and I were talking about Sergio El Darvich from Lee, the 6' 4" guard, not Brown. Did you think we were talking about Brown??

Yep, I did. Oh well, not the first time I've ducked up on here. I was shocked at his post and thought I was being restrained in my reply.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What do the Chinese investors get out of this deal? School placement for a number of Chinese students or something?

Probably gets them some legal loophole they are using for something else.

Reaction Score
PSA is a great school...those kids win competitions everywhere they go....and as a previous poster said, Putnam has an amazing downtown. Lots of events going on, several really good restaurants with outdoor seating, an awesome old playhouse, free parking and most events are free too.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gotta get to a game to see these three. But apparently the drive sucks

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Gotta get to a game to see these three. But apparently the drive sucks
I highly recommend Husky fans get out there. Where else can you see potentially three Huskies play at once? It's like watching the Huskies for free plus see other future college players. Lee has a 6' 9" Arizona State commit who's good from long range but didn't do much against PSA. My drive was an hour and forty-five minutes. Worth the trip at least once.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Kid's from Beirut, Lebanon and this is his postgrad year. Nobody but NERR has him listed anywhere - they have him #5 in Maine, and #75 in New England: http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/maine-class-of-2016

Given the numbers he's putting up in this league and the athleticism he shows, I'd be shocked if he didn't end up with a mid-major offer. Would love to see Moore get him at Quinnipiac, but my guess is he ends up at a bigger school.
I couldn't find the game stats on-line so I asked El Darwich from Lee Academy himself. Here are his numbers for the two games against PSA. Game 1: 24 pts. 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocks (including one on Brown). Game 2: 18 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists. Against the great players on PSA, that's impressive and consistent. For a 6' 4" player who plays in the flow of the offense, he's a real sleeper who could really help a team. He reminds me a lot of Doron Sheffer but much more explosive and able to play above the rim.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend Husky fans get out there. Where else can you see potentially three Huskies play at once? It's like watching the Huskies for free plus see other future college players. Lee has a 6' 9" Arizona State commit who's good from long range but didn't do much against PSA. My drive was an hour and forty-five minutes. Worth the trip at least once.
It's like 30 minutes off 84

Reaction Score

What are you talking about, that kid isn't 7' tall? Sergio El Darvich is the player I was discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom