You've Got to be Kidding me | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You've Got to be Kidding me

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You do realize that the original post was not dissing Geno and CD, eh?
No, I don't think he realizes that (sees it that way). I think most people wouldn't see it that way, but our Canadian friend Jingo has different ways of seeing things sometimes.

Reaction Score
Do you realize how utterly absurd and ridiculous you sound? Sometimes certain coaches have a way of reaching kids that other coaches can't, for a myriad of different reasons. It in NO way takes away from any of the other coaches on the staff!
While I would not use the word "disparage," I agree with the point that giving Jamelle all the credit for ONO and others improvement at the end of the year is a bit over the top. UConn has always gotten stronger later in the year. ONO looked better but was against mediocre players. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The benchmark would have been how she did against top talent in playoffs.

Reaction Score
No, I don't think he realizes that (sees it that way). I think most people wouldn't see it that way, but our Canadian friend Jingo has different ways of seeing things sometimes.

Or not seeing...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I love these Tony posts.

It seems on paper that this can be one of those way above average UConn teams and that excellence will have no boundaries and lots of surprises. But as George S. Patton said: Results matter.
Knowing the General he might have used a heavily censored adjective just before Results.

Reaction Score
Wow down there Bluedevil! I took it to mean that the more talented younger players in Europe are exposed to professional leagues where if they want to survive and thrive, have to "think" and develop all around skills to handle the older, stronger and more physical players. Many of these leagues have pros and amateurs and drastically different talent levels that force the players to know how to adapt. That simply doesn't happen over her for our younger players who are almost exclusively playing against players their age and size and rely more on athleticism and offensive prowess.

DT, while talented, developed her attitude while at UConn, thriving under the sheer amount of talent on her Freshmand and Sophomore teams who had oodles of talent.

:)Hmmm. Got to say Defense, I would bet my last chip that Diana had that attitude growing up in California. She was so head and shoulders above everyone else that there was no contest. I believe her father was from Italy (could be wrong on that and if so I'm sure someone will let me know). Also, not sure just how popular women's basketball is overseas. I think that the really good players gravitate to the game but I am not aware of just how high the popularity quotient is among your typical high schooler. Perhaps someone in the Boneyard has some info regarding that.

Reaction Score
No joke .. you're disparaging Geno and ChrisD and i m not on board with that narrative, eh?
Jingo, I believe they were praising Coach Elliot. I saw no sign of disrespect for any other coach. I believe each coach has a certain area of responsibility and this happens to be hers and she is very good at it. Giving her a positive review is actually another feather in Geno's cap for her hire.

Reaction Score
Jingo, I believe they were praising Coach Elliot. I saw no sign of disrespect for any other coach. I believe each coach has a certain area of responsibility and this happens to be hers and she is very good at it. Giving her a positive review is actually another feather in Geno's cap for her hire.
Yes .. good point .. I see what you mean.

Reaction Score
Not Canadian .. i m from Bvooklyn during the Connie Hawkins era :)

Reaction Score
The original Hawk. I only wish he would have been allowed to fulfill his potential. He got a bad rap when he was accused associating with some people in the point shaving scandal's in the early sixties and he wasn't even playing for the varsity at Iowa. He played for the old Pittsburgh Pipers in the mid-sixties and bounced around after that but if he was not the best player during the sixties he was certainly at the top of the list. Didn't he play at Bed-Sty?

Reaction Score
The original Hawk. I only wish he would have been allowed to fulfill his potential. He got a bad rap when he was accused associating with some people in the point shaving scandal's in the early sixties and he wasn't even playing for the varsity at Iowa. He played for the old Pittsburgh Pipers in the mid-sixties and bounced around after that but if he was not the best player during the sixties he was certainly at the top of the list. Didn't he play at Bed-Sty?

Agree he got royally screwed, but Hawkins didn’t exactly “bounce around“ after leaving the ABA, he was a four time NBA all star with the Phoenix Suns and made the All NBA first team in 1970. His Jersey was eventually retired by the Suns.

Reaction Score
Agree he got royally screwed, but Hawkins didn’t exactly “bounce around“ after leaving the ABA, he was a four time NBA all star with the Phoenix Suns and made the All NBA first team in 1970. His Jersey was eventually retired by the Suns.
Thank you for that info Littlemin. Just think of what he might have been had he been able to play his entire career in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Connie Hawkins book Foul was $5.95 my freshman year of high school. Had a course Athletes in Action at my school. Book is around 300 dollars now! He used to outplay all the top players at Ruckers because he was black listed from the NBA! One of my favorite players!

Reaction Score
The Hawk played at Boys' High w/ Billy Burwell and Eddie Simmons. My high school - Brooklyn Tech - was in the same league with them. Yes, his unfortunate association with sports gambler Jack Molinas caused him trouble. Roger Brown [Wingate High] was involved with Molinas as well. Brown was just as good as Connie and, in fact, schooled Connie in the City championship game, eh?

Reaction Score
Connie Hawkins book Foul was $5.95 my freshman year of high school. Had a course Athletes in Action at my school. Book is around 300 dollars now! He used to outplay all the top players at Ruckers because he was black listed from the NBA! One of my favorite players!
Amazzzing how many good players at Ruckers that didn't make the pros - Joe Hammond, Pablo Robertson, Herman the Helicopter, Earl Manigault et al. The latter used to pick quarters off the top of the backboard and the spectators used to flood the court after some of his dunks!

Reaction Score
The Hawk played at Boys' High w/ Billy Burwell and Eddie Simmons. My high school - Brooklyn Tech - was in the same league with them. Yes, his unfortunate association with sports gambler Jack Molinas caused him trouble. Roger Brown [Wingate High] was involved with Molinas as well. Brown was just as good as Connie and, in fact, schooled Connie in the City championship game, eh?
Jingo, I believe that it was Jack Molinas who was involved in a point shaving scandal with a Uconn player at that same time. It really broke some hearts. I forget who the coach was at the time but he was devastated.

Reaction Score
Amazzzing how many good players at Ruckers that didn't make the pros - Joe Hammond, Pablo Robertson, Herman the Helicopter, Earl Manigault et al. The latter used to pick quarters off the top of the backboard and the spectators used to flood the court after some of his dunks!
I remember the last 2. I remember Earl doing that. They would say Earl could jump and take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave change! My friends and I accidentally found Rucker Park Sr. year of high school! Just seeing it for the first time the legendary park gave me goosebumps! I was 17.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Coach Elliott deserves a lot of the credit for that, they were simply a different team after she came on board. They played with a chip on their shoulder and really got after teams on the defensive end, I agree, they were definitely getting hot at the right time and were as good as anybody in the country when the tournament was cancelled. I am really excited to see the further development of the bigs under Coach Elliott, ONO looked like a totally different player after working with her for a short time last year.
While I would not use the word "disparage," I agree with the point that giving Jamelle all the credit for ONO and others improvement at the end of the year is a bit over the top. UConn has always gotten stronger later in the year. ONO looked better but was against mediocre players. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The benchmark would have been how she did against top talent in playoffs.
So much has been made of the improvement of the post play and ONO "theoretically" after Jamelle came on board. I went back to see if the numbers actually supported this theory. Row A are ONO stats/averages for the 13 games just prior to Jamelle joining the team. Row B are for the 13 games after Jamelle joined the team. UCONN was 12-1 in Row A with the only loss coming against Baylor. UCONN was 11-2 in row b with losses against Oregon and South Carolina. My conclusions: "Statistically" ONO was pretty much the same player
after Jamelle joined the team. A marked area where ONO improved was FG% so who knew Jamelle was also a shooting guru. Impact wise ONO was pretty much the same player after Jamelle arrived because she was unable to impact big games-which is really the only useful measuring stick for a UCONN post.

ONO
PTS
MINS
FGM
FGA
FG%
REB
A
B
S
TO
PF
A
B

Reaction Score
So much has been made of the improvement of the post play and ONO "theoretically" after Jamelle came on board. I went back to see if the numbers actually supported this theory. Row A are ONO stats/averages for the 13 games just prior to Jamelle joining the team. Row B are for the 13 games after Jamelle joined the team. UCONN was 12-1 in Row A with the only loss coming against Baylor. UCONN was 11-2 in row b with losses against Oregon and South Carolina. My conclusions: "Statistically" ONO was pretty much the same player
after Jamelle joined the team. A marked area where ONO improved was FG% so who knew Jamelle was also a shooting guru. Impact wise ONO was pretty much the same player after Jamelle arrived because she was unable to impact big games-which is really the only useful measuring stick for a UCONN post.

ONO
PTS
MINS
FGM
FGA
FG%
REB
A
B
S
TO
PF
A
B
Actually, judging by rebounds and blocks, Liv was less aggressive after JE arrived, eh?

Reaction Score
I remember the last 2. I remember Earl doing that. They would say Earl could jump and take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave change! My friends and I accidentally found Rucker Park Sr. year of high school! Just seeing it for the first time the legendary park gave me goosebumps! I was 17.
Yeah, Rucker Park — the world's most famous streetball arena. Games at Rucker’s were unlike anything seen before. Thousands of fans were jammed into the tiny venue. Spectators gazed from fences, trees, windows and the roof of an elementary school across Eighth Avenue. There were oohs and aahs from the crowd when a young high school kid named Lew Alcindor blocked seven-foot Wilt’s shot. There were cheers and high-fives when Pee Wee Kirkland did a double, stumble-dribble cross-over and, then, hit a cutting teammate with a behind-the-back, look-away pass for a lay-up. But the crowd went into complete frenzy when the Goat – Earl Manigault - straddle-jumped OVER his man’s head for a thunderous dunk! People poured onto the court. They carried the Goat on their shoulders. It often took several minutes to restore order and resume play which could easily be stopped again after another spectacular move.
Indeed, Rucker’s gave Dr J his name. Rucker is where he came out from Long Island to 'operate'! Here is a photo of the boisterous crowd at a Dr J game, viz:
DrJ.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually, all those stats prove is that stats lie, to anyone using the only way to really tell, the eye test, her play improved immensely after Elliot arrived. Stats are for bar discussions, not real evaluation.

"I guess men lie, women lie.
But numbers don’t."

............... Jay-Z

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually, judging by rebounds and blocks, Liv was less aggressive after JE arrived, eh?
Well since you want to accentuate the negative: Her rebounding and shot blocking were down plus she was fouling more. If you want to accentuate the positive she was playing more minutes, her FG% was up substantially and she was handing out 1 more assist per game. Another telling statistic is that in 13 A Games Liv led UCONN in rebounding 7 times. In the 13 B games Liv also led UCONN in rebounding 7 times.

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that everyone on the coaching staff (assistants - head coach) are all extremely important
to the growth of all the players each just brings their own perspective which is what makes these young women great players, competitors and most of all great human beings!!!! Uconn women's basketball would not be as great as it has been and will continue to be without the entire staff!!!

Reaction Score
"I guess men lie, women lie.
But numbers don’t."

............... Jay-Z

Sorry, but they most certainly do, contrary to what that renowned evaluator of basketball talent says. If they don’t, why bothering scouting, just sign the players with the best stats. Numbers are absolutely meaningless unto themselves, one needs a myriad of context for them to reveal anything real.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry, but they most certainly do, contrary to what that renowned evaluator of basketball talent says. If they don’t, why bothering scouting, just sign the players with the best stats. Numbers are absolutely meaningless unto themselves, one needs a myriad of context for them to reveal anything real.
Uhm...in any sport the players with the best stats (numbers) get signed first usually. What world are you living in? Numbers are not meaningless they are absolute and therefore incapable of lying. Guarantee scouts are not showing up randomly, most often they are there to see a players who is or has been putting up numbers.
You can use a Myriad of other factors to determine things like break a time when you have to decide between two players but you definitely don't throw out the numbers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom