Your most pleasing take-aways from the EX season? | The Boneyard

Your most pleasing take-aways from the EX season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was fortunate enough to enjoy both games from down-low seats....and we were there from the first warm-up drills to the UCONN anthem's conclusion both nights. My own "most pleasings" include:

--Coach's handing of the players. EVERYone healthy got to play significant minutes as SIGNIFICANT times. Huge. More specifically, our little group was extremely pleased with his handling of Banks in contrast to last season, including (but not limited to) his showing her some real patience. Last night, she got off to a rough start, with three bad plays early on. Last year, any one of those in her first minute or two on the floor would have brought that deadly "quick hook" and another blow to her confidence. This time out, he showed her the kind of respect and tolerance sometimes granted only to the "pet" guards such as Montgomery and Hartley etc. Didn't even go to the hair stroking and probably not even the migraine, let alone the hook. The result: she settled in, began looking over her should a bit less often as the game progressed, and delivered one heck of an outing, contributing significantly in virtually every phase of the game. She has ALOT to bring to this team, and I think we'll see it with some real consistency as her confidence continues to grow.

--Very few instances of guy's forcing their own shot. Some, but very few. Bodes very well.

--Everybody keeping their foot on the throttle even when way ahead.....really exemplifying Geno's call for playing toward perfection vs. playing to the score.

--DEfense, even more impressive than usual. More guys, especially the bigs, defending with their hands high, magnifying and utilizing their impressive height, rather than "defending" with their chins thrust forward. The shorter players relentlessly aggressive on D.

--Dolson aaggressive enough to risk some fouls (alot of bad calls still...but she remained engaged)....I think we have enough big players to remain aggressive this year even with some fouls.

--Doty.....moving very freely....shooting VERY well.

--People addding to their game - perhaps none more impressively than Lewis really defending, really rebounding, picking up some very nice assists, diving for the loose balls.....great.

-- The Frosh being as advertised. Doesn't always happen!!

--The YellowJackets and the XL ushers really going the fan-friendly route.....using some common sense re allowing people to fill better seats at some reasonable time as the night unfolds.

-- Stokes getting after it with alot more apparent determination that what we had to settle for last year.....and with wonderful results.

--Buck really going after the ball also.

Alot else to like as well, including alot that was not at all surprising.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah and Brianna struggled as frosh. They look much improved. And the 3 frosh look like some of the best players in the country already. :)

Reaction Score
KML, Banks, Doty, Faris, Tuck, Jefferson, and Stewart all hit from behind the arc. Baylor is clearly the top competition for this team and teams have been successful when they can hit from the outside or draw Griner from the basket to open up backdoor cuts. This team has shown they can shoot, REALLY WELL from many positions. Likewise, post players such as stokes and Dolson can hit from the top of the key and Stewart and Tuck can bring defenders to the 3 point line. This team has all the pieces to counteract the Griner effect, the one thing stopping them from the NC. I know it is early, but the ability and versatility of the players on this team is scary. And that is without even mentioning All American Bria Hartley. I can already tell that this is going to be a scoring machine. Hopefully they can perfect the uconn defense we have seen the past few years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If I had to pick one thing only it would be Brianna Banks. She not only looked like a different player, but like one of the top 5 or so players in her class. With expectations sky high for everyone else, and everyone else pretty much meeting or slightly exceeding them, Brianna was the one who really stood out as far exceeding expectations.

And that's no slight to the rest of the team - given the expectations are that this team will make it to the NC game, it would be almost impossible to exceed anything, but Brianna certainly did for me...

The 2nd thing for me would be seeing how well Caroline moved and looked. at this point i have no prediction as to who will start but Caroline looked as good as you could have hoped for.

One thing that stood out to me as a bit of a surprise was that it SEEMED like the offense was ahead of the defense. Usually UCONN's offense takes time to gel with the seniors who graduated and the freshmen who must be meshed in with everyone else. Net result of that is generally at the start of the year, our defense usually looks better than our offense.

The 2nd half last night showed just how devastating our defense can be, but as a whole, the offense looked pretty fantastic from start to finish while the defense looked like it needed some tweaking. It appears whatever Geno said/did at halftime worked like magic because they went from scoring 38 in half 1 to 12 in half 2.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Banks has been the most pleasant surprise. Many times we've read how a certain player is in better shape and has improved in the off season. So many times it hasn't actually happened. IMHO the big question will be what happens when Bria returns from her injury. It should result in less minutes for Brianna and will the fewer minutes impact her play.

Reaction Score
MILFORD, Rb, and ERIC: very interesting points and very well taken.

One other that had occured to me since writing here was an additional kudo for Geno re his handling of this squad: not only did he give everyone ample and important game minutes, but he also tried almost every conceivable line-up out there, especially last night. Fir instance, three bigs on the floor at once in different mixes, with different mixes at guard, including one stint with three bigs and the two young speedsters out there. Really fun to watch and evaluate all these combos.

Reaction Score
WBB: didnt mean to leave you out.....was just sending my note in as yours popped up as an "alert" for me. Like your point - and it raises the whole interesting (to me) issue of how a Hartley return will mesh with the current very solid chemistry and team-first feeling. Not saying it won't be a great mesh....I hope it will....but will be interest to see and to see how it impacts the use of the other back court weapons.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
WBB: didnt mean to leave you out.....was just sending my note in as yours popped up as an "alert" for me. Like your point - and it raises the whole interesting (to me) issue of how a Hartley return will mesh with the current very solid chemistry and team-first feeling. Not saying it won't be a great mesh....I hope it will....but will be interest to see and to see how it impacts the use of the other back court weapons.
Not worried - one of the moments I really liked in the all access program on SNY was a fairly long shot of MJ and Bria on the sidelines at practice - Bria coaching and MJ really focused on what she was saying. Yes minutes will get adjusted, but I get the sense that everyone is intent on the whole team performing well.

Reaction Score
Brianna Banks is playing much better ball, and getting after folks this year because of HER attitude change. I remember when practice first started Shea was oohing and ahhing about how much more positive she was, and how she looked like a totally different person ON the floor, and OFF the floor. Geno doesn't give her the quick hook because of her maturity. Even Brianna herself admitted that last year she was SOO afraid to fail. She would make a bad play on the offensive end, and it would get all in her head, and she would make a stupid foul on the defensive end. It is only natural she should feel that way. Coming to the greatest women's program, and playing for the greatest coach too. I would give anyone a pass their freshman play. Even Kaleena said she let BAD plays bother her too long. It just wasn't quite as noticeble because she was shooting the lights out, and leading us in scoring most of the time.

It's a new year, and with the 3 freshman we have along with everybody else we will be much deeper than we have EVER BEEN !
GO UCONN GO

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First, Brianna Banks. She looks in controll, comfortable and most importantly confident. Great form and release on her 3 point shot. Not rushed. Knowledge when to take her defender to the hoop. Very quick first step.

Versatility of the team. Geno has many interchangeable parts and many combinations to use during a game. Bigs like Steph, Breanna, and Morgan who can shoot from outside and can go inside. Kiah is going to be an enforcer in the paint. Not always a lot of points but I'll take all those blocks and boards.

Great guards who can run the show.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MILFORD, Rb, and ERIC: very interesting points and very well taken.

One other that had occured to me since writing here was an additional kudo for Geno re his handling of this squad: not only did he give everyone ample and important game minutes, but he also tried almost every conceivable line-up out there, especially last night. Fir instance, three bigs on the floor at once in different mixes, with different mixes at guard, including one stint with three bigs and the two young speedsters out there. Really fun to watch and evaluate all these combos.
All those different combinations are gonna be nightmares for other teams to try to adjust to/defend/match up with.

Reaction Score
Nice job everyone. I believe the consensus is that Banks wins the pleasant surprise award. I won't repeat what's already been said, so I'll just add a few points.

Everyone seems so happy, players and coaches alike.
The players are all chatterboxes on the court. It's like a party out there.
To me Geno seems kinder and gentler than ever and it seems to be having a good effect on the team.
It's a thinking team lots of positive self analysis.
Stokes, Banks actually looking forward to being yelled at by coach because they know there is no malice behind the comments and it will make them better players.
SNY is presenting the team in a delightfully positive light.
So many things for us to be thankful for.

Reaction Score
ReallyGOOD stuff throughout. VEry interesting perceptions.....thanks for chiming in.

BEST: your line on SNY somehow strikes me as being one of the all time 'best" on THe Yard. (Though this group of young women and this group of coaches made it pretty easy for SNY to accomplish that, eh?)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Bianna and Moriah... both unexpectedly fulfilling a major portion of their huge potential earlier than I thought probable. Moriah's vocal leadership on the court... no shrinking violet... awesome.

Reaction Score
Was fortunate enough to enjoy both games from down-low seats....and we were there from the first warm-up drills to the UCONN anthem's conclusion both nights. My own "most pleasings" include:

--Coach's handing of the players. EVERYone healthy got to play significant minutes as SIGNIFICANT times. Huge. More specifically, our little group was extremely pleased with his handling of Banks in contrast to last season, including (but not limited to) his showing her some real patience. Last night, she got off to a rough start, with three bad plays early on. Last year, any one of those in her first minute or two on the floor would have brought that deadly "quick hook" and another blow to her confidence. This time out, he showed her the kind of respect and tolerance sometimes granted only to the "pet" guards such as Montgomery and Hartley etc. Didn't even go to the hair stroking and probably not even the migraine, let alone the hook. The result: she settled in, began looking over her should a bit less often as the game progressed, and delivered one heck of an outing, contributing significantly in virtually every phase of the game. She has ALOT to bring to this team, and I think we'll see it with some real consistency as her confidence continues to grow.

--Very few instances of guy's forcing their own shot. Some, but very few. Bodes very well.

--Everybody keeping their foot on the throttle even when way ahead.....really exemplifying Geno's call for playing toward perfection vs. playing to the score.

--DEfense, even more impressive than usual. More guys, especially the bigs, defending with their hands high, magnifying and utilizing their impressive height, rather than "defending" with their chins thrust forward. The shorter players relentlessly aggressive on D.

--Dolson aaggressive enough to risk some fouls (alot of bad calls still...but she remained engaged)....I think we have enough big players to remain aggressive this year even with some fouls.

--Doty.....moving very freely....shooting VERY well.

--People addding to their game - perhaps none more impressively than Lewis really defending, really rebounding, picking up some very nice assists, diving for the loose balls.....great.

-- The Frosh being as advertised. Doesn't always happen!!

--The YellowJackets and the XL ushers really going the fan-friendly route.....using some common sense re allowing people to fill better seats at some reasonable time as the night unfolds.

-- Stokes getting after it with alot more apparent determination that what we had to settle for last year.....and with wonderful results.

--Buck really going after the ball also.

Alot else to like as well, including alot that was not at all surprising.

Our Bench! Most impressive, would be ranked in the top 10 at least.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
My pleasantest surprise is Geno. For along time I've been hoping to watch experimentation, mixing, matching, using those wily fox smarts to the max. But we have been so short handed that the line up and our options have been limited and limiting. Not this year, and I'm looking forward to watching how he calls the shots tremendously. I hope too that we can get some high level discussion going on the board about how he is working this year, and learn a lot about the game. So my next pleasantest surprise is finding a couple of kindred souls in this very thread. Bring it on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom