Your experiences with streaming ESPN | The Boneyard

Your experiences with streaming ESPN

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I am frustrated when it comes to streaming our games on ESPN3. The screen is terribly pixilated and there are frequent freezes while the system buffers.

We don't have this issue when it comes to streaming other services like Netflix so I don't think it is necessarily a problem with the signal strength from our ISP.

So I am wondering if others have noticed a difference in quality between ESPN3's feed and that of other services.

That being said, I am grateful that there is this option. Sometimes a pixilated Husky is better than no Husky at all!

Reaction Score
I have noticed a lot of freezing, and when I cast to my TV the app closes out on it's own regularly enough to be annoying.

Reaction Score
I have both ESPN's ESPN3 and Sling TV's ESPN3.
Sling TV is much better than ESPN's ESPN3. Don't know why too?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I experience quite a lot of buffering in the broadcasts this year. More so then in previous years. I have problems every game I've watched. In prior years, maybe I would experience problems on 1 out of 3 games.

Reaction Score
I have ESPN through either youtubetv and DirecTV now. Along with watch ESPN on both. YouTube TV on either platform ESPN is great. Really good quality. Last night's CFB championship didn't have an issue. On DirecTV now on either platform is terrible. Not sure why.

Reaction Score
Sounds like internet speed. I have 300 mps from Spectrum and never experience a hesitation or delay. I am even thinking of upgrading to ultra which is 400 mps. Maybe you should give this a try for 90 days and see if this improves your performance.

Reaction Score
I can’t even get ESPN3. When I input my account number, it tells me I don’t have an account. I’ve given up.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I experience quite a lot of buffering in the broadcasts this year. More so then in previous years. I have problems every game I've watched. In prior years, maybe I would experience problems on 1 out of 3 games.
Same here.

Reaction Score
No buffering problems with the '3' here in Fort Myers. We're pulling in over 120mbps, so that might be helping, but you really only need about 5mbps to stream hd video.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Haven't streamed this year but in prior years I haven't had an issue. It looks like a cable signal.

ESPN3 -> phone -> chromecast.

Reaction Score
I have Xfinity cable (nominal 100 mbs) and run a Roku box then "Watch ESPN". Have yet to have a problem.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't have Speeds of 300/400 MBPS avail. I did have 100 MBPS last year and this year I have 60 MBPS which probably explains the problem I'm having this year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The video streaming quality I get on ESPN3 has always been inferior to broadcast, plagued with pixelations, stuttering and lesser video quality. My screen capturing always amplifies these bad qualities. And yeah, I have Spectrum and I pay for higher than 300 mbp. Also few know this, but the dirty little secret of 4K streaming on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon is that it's roughly the equivalent of a 1080p blu-ray disc. However Netflix has HDR for those who have TV's that can show it, and blu-ray doesn't have that. So the reality of streaming that I've found is so far, it's inferior in many ways, but it's what we have.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
ESPN3 I have to run on Kodi which in 720p is not bad but yes there is an occasional issue. Wouldn't swear to it but I'm thinking that when the broadcast is on ESPN & ESPN2 is better but I stream through PlayStation. . . On Kodi. Technician with Spectrum told us that extrean cold weather causes contacts seperation which plays havoc and causes a lot of work on the lines.

Reaction Score
5 Minutes into the game I have already had to reboot Roku (Internet from Cox). Got rid of the glitchiness - so far.

upload_2018-1-9_17-15-59.png

Reaction Score
I had troubles tonight. The Watchespn app froze again and again. I tried the website and it said the channel wasn't in my package and it is. Generally, it seems the app works better for me.

Btw, it is working fine now.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad that ESPN has realized that I'm not in the local blackout area this year so that I don't need to pay directv $14 a month for SNY this year. Amazingly, I've had little issue with ESPN3 over the last few games though my internet is generally spotty at best (Charter in MA). Fingers crossed that the good luck lasts

Reaction Score
Got so frustrated with mine that I switched to game cast.

Reaction Score
I can’t even get ESPN3. When I input my account number, it tells me I don’t have an account. I’ve given up.

On mine, ESPN3 told me tonight's game was "blocked out in your area"!!!! I'm in the southern Adirondack Mts!!!! Why does a streaming event get blacked out??? Aarrgghh!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I use the ipad app and hav no problems. I have 70 Mbps service.

Reaction Score
On mine, ESPN3 told me tonight's game was "blocked out in your area"!!!! I'm in the southern Adirondack Mts!!!! Why does a streaming event get blacked out??? Aarrgghh!

Use a VPN from another city. I am currently in the NY/NJ/CT area and got blacked out every single game that was on SNY. So I picked up a VPN and used another city away form this SNY area.

Reaction Score
I have Spectrum/Brighthouse, and I tested my speed right after the game. I got 30MPS download and 6 MPS upload. However, this entire season I've had a lot of loading issues, sometimes for several minutes. Tonight's game was particularly bad.

I think it's possible that not having net neutrality anymore may be impacting me. When they see you checking speed, they give acceptable performance, but when you're streaming, they roll back the speed. When my sister worked for Brighthouse, she complained that too many people were streaming that caused a big demand on the network and Brighthouse wasn't getting any extra income. So I'm really skeptical of the service that I'm provided by my cable company.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I have two computers, one hooked directly to my router and the other using a WiFi connection. Speeds are 120 and 45 mbps respectively through Spectrum.

No problems with either one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom